Control Master 20

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I can try to tell you how I hooked up mine, by I have no idea why it actually works.
The power wires from the Track DC obviously hook up to the track. I ran a short cable from the jack on the front of the Control Master 20 to a box-style jack, where I hooked 'phone wire to the screw contacts inside. I then ran these four light wires to a bus wire that runs beneath the entire length of the layout. The bus wire is regular household wiring: NMD90 14/3, with a ground. I soldered the wires from the box to the bus as follows: black-to-black, white-to-white, red-to-red, and green-to-bare. Wherever you want another jack, simply tap into the bus at the appropriate spot, and drop 'phone wire to the jack. I mounted 6 faceplate-style jacks right on the Masonite facia, at various points around the room. The bus wire serves no other purpose: there is no bus wire for track power.
In use, when you unplug from one jack, the train will continue to run at the speed that it was running at when you unplugged: don't adjust the throttle setting when you move to the next jack, so when you plug in, there will be no sudden speed change. Supposedly, if you unplug, but don't plug back in, the train will eventually begin to slow and finally stop. During the time that you are not plugged in, you have no control over the train: you can neither change the speed up or down, nor can you start or stop a train.
Hope this info is of some help to you.

Wayne

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
:thumb: Thanks DoctorWayne, that sounds like what I was looking for.:wave: P.S. I've looked at some of your pics here on " The Gauge ". I have to say you are my model train idol. So impressive. Thanks again!