Continuing the theme. 1701-E Engineering. WIP

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Master-Bruce, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

OK, I'm really enjoying covering these Star Trek scenes/locations lately and I look forward to releasing them soon.

I started the bridge for the 1701-A the other day and it was going so well and quickly, it almost felt a little boring. I mean, I think I've found a system that works for me doing these so I wanted to try a new area to test myself again and try new approaches.

So this morning I started my newest and current project for a papermodel. 1701-E Engineering. At first I thought it's be easy to map it all out and get the walls done but it was far from it!! It took over 20 different ways to get these wall right and that's without even adding detail or touching the warp core! I almost quit before I started. LOL

Anyway I stuck at it and now it's off the ground. I'm liking how this is now going to the point where I want to use this model to learn more about texturing and Paintshop too. So, as well as a standard Nemesis version, Iplan to attempt the First Contact "Borg-ified" version too!!! This means altering the model to accomodate Borg alcoves and such so it wouldn't be just a simple repaint of the standard version.

It's going to have an opening in the front similar to a stage or something. Similar to the Fact Files illustration. This is for people to have a clear view into the model when built where-as my bridge models only had the open ceiling.

I figure this will take a while so wanted to start a thread to document it and share it with you guys.

Well, to "Boldly Go" and all that eh? LOL Comments and suggestions always welcome!

2. Gainer

Gainer Member

3. Master-Bruce

Thanks buddy. I hope it will be. LOL.
  4. smyfe

smyfe Member

Keep it up

:thumb:Keep up the great work, we will soon have a Sovereign class starship we can build from the inside out sign1
  5. Master-Bruce

You never know?? I wonder what the shuttle bay looks like... LOL!

Here's a little update for ya. Added second floors either side of the reactor, and the reactor itself. Just the basics anyway. I'm going for a larger scale with this to get the details in and to have room for the Borg conversions. That's going to be fun!!
  6. Perry

Perry New Member

I'm looking forward to see it finished with the bridge (and do not forget the observation room and the tactical room... :mrgreen:)

PS: if you need some images of the particulars from the movies here you have an huge collection of screencaps TrekCore Star Trek Movies DVD Screen Caps ... but maybe you already know it ..
  7. Master-Bruce

Thanks buddy. I'll be getting quite a bit done today I hope, got the day to myself!!

I've been to Trekcore, it's a great site. Thing is with the screen caps there, they don't focus on small details. I grabbed my own screen caps using Cyberlink PowerDVD, focusing on small glimpses you see of consoles for the layouts of the LCARS, details of the Borg alcoves, the table they keep Data restrained on and all that stuff to get this model right.
  8. Master-Bruce

Got some done today but I got myself sidetracked looking for reference ready to design the LCARS and display for the "pool table".
    I also raised the front walls a little, built the pool table, and added details to the walls.

It's coming along.
  9. Master-Bruce

Decided to do some prep this afternoon. Creating textures in readiness as I'm nearing the end of the modelling for the standard version. There is more to do but I'm out of the woods now.

Spent most of the afternoon creating the surface of the pooltable, took forever due to silly mistakes. Here's a preview of the basic layout:
    I've done a few more things like the texture for the step edges, they light up a bright blue colour, plus a few logos.

Back to some modelling.

Checked the texture against the modelled table:
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This is really going to be a cool diorama/model!
    I never thought of modeling the Engineering section and I never thought anyone else would either!
    Totally cool!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I had a book when I was a child that had all the Star Trek blueprints.
    I had saved my money for a long time to get it and it was a prized possession of mine.
    That was about 30 years ago and I have no idea whatever became of it.
    I sure wish I had it now.:cry:

Anyway, I am looking forward to this one! It looks fantastic already!
    Thanks for sharing the development. I really enjoy watching threads like this!
    You are really going to make a lot of modelers happy with this one!:thumb:

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

To wander off topic for just a second...

Here ya go....

Star Trek LCARS Blueprint Database - Star Trek Blueprints Main Page
  12. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Totally cool.
  13. Perry

Perry New Member

I have the first one![​IMG]
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

15. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I've always wanted my very own warp reactor, just dont tell the neighbors !
    In keeping with the 1:48 F-1 engine for the Saturn V, is anybody interested in designing a similar scale space shuttle main engine ?, please. And who would have thought that a three inch mailing tube is just the right diameter for a 1:48 shuttle SRB ( and Ares ) !
    Right now I'm trying dilgently to design on a 1:10 model of the Mars Exploration Rover, and converting the Mars Polar Lander into the Phoenix Lander.

Howdy from West Texas
  16. Master-Bruce

Amazyah, Thank you for you reply there. I read it over a few times. I just get a kick out of nive comments like that, makes it more worth while I guess.

That site is one that I visit constantly, there's usually always something new there.

I'm really pushing myself for this model. I try to approach this as if it's just a 3D model first and a papermodel second. By that I mean adding textures before unfolding just to see how colours and textures work. I was really pleased after applying that table texture to the table model.

I'll be pressing on today so should have some more updates later, more modelling and a few more textures. There's an area of work coming up where I'll have to create new LCARS for the computers around the room.
  17. Master-Bruce

Been tinkering with colours today along with a little modelling. To be honest I think I'm slowly running out of steam.:cry: I've been at these for around 2 weeks straight now. I'm taking a short break from this to try something else.

I feel like maybe doing a 1/1 prop of some sort. Still Trek, but I'm not sure what yet. I have a book called Star Trek The Next Generation: Sketchbook the Movies by John Eaves and J.M. Dillard. In it there's a really cool concept sketch of a helmet from First Contact, and a few nice phaser rifle concepts so maybe do one of them??
  18. you could try the tricorder like ond voyager :)
  19. Master-Bruce

I'll take a look at it. I'm not even sure what it looks like. I always thought they used the same model? Guess not.
  20. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

hey skupil I like the table that have the ship design. It gives the scenes more "sci-fier" .
    You've done a great work.