Contest Q/A's NO PHOTO'S HERE

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
If you have any questions regarding how the contest is run, this is the place to ask.

I was requested to split the contest thread into two threads, one for posting photographs and the replies to those photographs only.

So I have pruned it out

This thread is for Q/A's

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Tyson my friend, not a broblem.

Looking forward to more photo's been submitted, one from you also, don't be shy now.:D:rolleyes:

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Post any pic you like, doesn't matter if it's been on the gauge before.

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
These post were originally in the Photo Contest, I have taken them out and reposted in Q/A.
Try to keep just the comments on the contest in the contest thread and if you have questions regarding how to go about getting/taking a photo, this is the thread for it. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by mrgooch
Rich,
Try to borrow a camera. If you do shoot some pictures, look for something that appears interesting to you. Look at it from different angles. Try different lighting. There is always something of interest in this Hobby.

Originally posted by rich maiorano
ok will try got a cheap pen cam that works good outside in the sun light so my pics will most likey be of real ones don't have much in the models but am working on it :D rich

Originally posted by mrgooch
Rich,
I use to think that the better the equiptment the better the results until I saw a photo exibit of pictures taken with an old Kodak box camera. It was truly exiciting to see what this man did with that little camera.

The Pros take many Photos to produce a winner [ sometimes].

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Amen mrgooch, truer words were never spoken!

------------------------------------------------
Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Guys, this contest will end Midnight on the 6th August GMT.
and on August 7th another will start which will be "Prototype Railroads. " so get snapping.

So far, the first contest is going along very nice indeed, hope to get a few more photo's in though before it August 6th.

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re posted from the contest thread.
-------------------------
Originally posted by BDC

I know they did, Tyson. I was just trying to give you a bit of well-intentioned grief about it.;)

Cid - 'Hostling' means that you are diriving the locomotive. It comes from the term 'hostler' which is another name for the engineer.

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Huh. I always thought 'hostler' was a more restricted position, driving a locomotive with no freight or passenger cars - i.e., from the roundhouse/shop/fueling station to the yard for use by a 'regular' engineer.

Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Michael, I believe you are correct.

Gary

Originally posted by billk
I thought a hostler was a perfessional poll player.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
photos so far thread

Shamus,
That is a fine collection of pictures there, Model railroader will have to raise the bar on their photo contest.
To those of you who haven't posted a pic, c'mon! Remember, this is a forum member vote, not a decision of a rivet counter panel. I already have a favorite, and it isn't mine.
Pete

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Pete I agree with everything you said! :D We do have about 3 weeks left so there is still plenty of time, all in all I think we are off to a good start. In reading other posts I noticed one member is waiting for a friend to bring his digital camera over, an other is finishing up some scenery (on a layout the currently has none) so he can take a picture. I honestly think the best may be yet to come! :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I've thought long and hard about such a contest in here, and here are my thoughts on it........

a) It's supposed to be a fun thing ... (It is, and so it should be :) )
b) No one should ever feel "not good enough" to enter. (So dig those photos out and post them)
c) It shouldn't be about producing photo's as found in NMRA or magazine contests/articles.

Conclusion?.........
I will vote according to the feeling a photo gives me on FIRST seeing it. ie...
The atmosphere it creates (bearing in mind what was aimed for and what, within ones talent was achieved).
Each modeller has different skills/ resources and time BUT it is his/her creation and they are justly proud of it.

To date I have enjoyed EVERY photo that has been posted in The Gauge and look forward to seeing more and more.

Just felt like sharing my thoughts with you all. :)

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Errol my friend, you hit the nail right on the head, doing ones best is all the really matters.

Shamus