Constellation by Paper Trade

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Rick Thomson, May 20, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Just finished this kit, and as some here have been wanting to see a mediocre build again here it is. Not up to the level of GB and the other modelling gods here, but I'm pleased with it.

It went together fairly well, although the wheel wells and the nose gave me some problems, not to mention the smudges that the graphite engrimed into my fingers left (it seems that the only thing that gets it out of my pores is glue...).

2. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Sure looks good too me.... Very impressive, and the size alone make it an eyecather. Great photo showing her off.
  3. Nice work!!, nice plane, just saw the original in the Dutch "Aviodrome" museum

The Gluing Dutchman,
  4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very nice build! Wing tips look great (seems that is one of my many nemesis when it comes to planes)!

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. The Connie has always been one of my favourite aircraft and I wanted to do her justice. Luckily the designers of this model seemed to remember that someone with more than the usual number of thumb might have a stab at it.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Very nice Rick!...but, don't the jumper cables go on the battery? lol
  7. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Very Nice!

Quite a different tail structure on this bird - must have given it a bit more flight stability I guess...

8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Durn...and I was wondering why the engines wouldn't turn over.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I seem to recall reading that the three rudders came about so as to ensure that the Connie would fit into the existing hangers, she was a very leggy girl, and a single tail would have been too high for the hangers of the day.

Regardless, the triple vertical stabs made for a very astheticly pleasing airframe.
  10. damraska

damraska Member

Your model looks very good to me, too, both in terms of build quality and subject. The four engines and three rudders give it lots of character. Well done.

11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Great job! I was looking at buying this kit myself, but was also eyeing the Super Connie (I think published by JFC).
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks great, can't add to the already said accolades, but very clean build!
  13. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Nice looking model Rick! I think that more 'mediocre' builds should be posted so that I have something to aspire to. I think that the Golden bear Standard is beyond my reach.

When I see all of those tube sections for the fuselage I have to wonder how hard it was to get the fuselage straight?

-Jim G
  14. willygoat

willygoat Member

Bravo Rick! That's a great looking model. Don't worry about smudges. I always have a few too. You can't even see them in the pic so it doesn't matter. I've always thought that creative photography can take care of any problems with a card model. :twisted:
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

When I started on the fuselage, I was worried about that, but the fit was so good that it showed no sign of turning into a banana. I find that bulkhead to bulkhead gives me the most problems in that area, bulkhead with connector strips less so.

16. cbg

cbg Member

Nice, Rick.

I also have a similar model from Schreiber in Lufthansa colors. It's a "super", I believe with wing tanks and is on my to-do pile.

I actually prefer the look of the snub-nose Constellation.

17. josve

josve Active Member

Nice!! It sure stands out as a great plane of the golden ages!!
    You did a great job there!!
  18. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I work as a machinist, and the graphite comes from the cast iron that we work with. Damned stuff gets everywhere and it takes me about a week of vacation before my hands are truely free of it.
  19. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Rick! I am jealous or your custom weathering technique that uses graphite and glue...:-D Real airplanes are dirty, Right?
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Congratulations. A very very good moldel!!!