Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Paragon, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE DC

THE DC Member

Caution: Triangle ahead!

Hey Paragon...plan on taking any to Bermuda to search for Avengers?

As always, great work!

The DC
  2. JordanSteitler

JordanSteitler New Member

just wondering Paragon, what WW2 planes are you going to add
  3. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

The Commando for one. Not sure what else.
  4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

When can we be looking at a release?
  5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

She's available now! I just added the models a few minutes ago, and decided to put them on the Mediafire account too, so you shouldn't have any trouble downloading them (unlike savefile).
  6. THE DC

THE DC Member

He did it again!

Paragon, you make the most amazing designs. I got into this to build Star Trek kits, but your work is so interesting that I'm finding myself braching out!

Please promise me you'll not start WWI craft! I'm overwhelmed with what I've got to build now!:p [Cold War, WWII!].

My thanks and compliments,

The DC
  7. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Heh, sorry, no promises. I must confess I had been considering it.
  8. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I can't get onto your site or mediafire.
  9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

*sigh*, if its not one thing, its another. Savefile may have been getting more and more unreliable, but I'm sure Freewebs will be back up soon.
  10. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Website is back up.
  11. mchale

mchale beach boy

thankfor the catalina i bet itla 9000311 is happy for the movie always version of the of the catalina
  12. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Whew! Can't lose that.

Does the PBY have a scale size for it?
    Are all your models to the same scale?

I'm about to start preliminary work on your Messerschmitt Me P.1112 and would like to know the scale it was published at. 1/72?

Thanks to any who can answer this!
  13. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanx much for the USN #2 version! The NWM's '6A has been on my want list for quite some time now. Pix to follow, if I can ever find some building time again (it's been almost 3 weeks now :curse:).

Scott K.
  14. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Sorry, not really sure what the scale is...I almost always forget to figure that out and scale them appropriately. I can measure the Me.1112 for you and you can calculate the scale if you want from that.

Edit: Me.1112 16.5 cm model wingspan and 8.74 m wingspan for the aircraft. So that would make it about 1:53? Someone check my math....
  15. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Yes I am! Always is a great movie about a little covered topic in the modelling community. Aerial firefighting is something I would do as a job if I could start my career path over.
  16. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Thanks, Paragon, I can take it from there.
  17. mchale

mchale beach boy

hi intructions would be nice
  18. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I just realized I never posted images of my jumbo Catalina. This is the same model, scaled up. Not sure exactly what the scale is, but the wingspan is now 2' 1". As you can see, I added a special detail in particular: retractable landing gear.

Now, before you ask about including the parts in the kit, I have to shoot down your hopes by saying that the system was all engineered from scratch, and I really could only reproduce it that way, and even then, it wouldn't be the same. A digital translation would be fraught with problems that I would have to solve on a person by person basis.

For those of you interested in trying, however, I can make some simple diagrams to show the mechanisms at work, and provide you with the few slightly updated parts I made for the build.

As you can see, the scale does not help the wings very much, a single piece of cardstock is very difficult to get to hold the proper shape at that size. Anyone interested in trying the build again should try segmenting the wings to a greater degree; each segment should have better structural integrity on its own.

Note: the front landing gear requires a toothpick or some other long, thin instrument to operate (you have to reach in and pull it out).

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Oh, and yes, they do support the weight of the entire aircraft on their own. Balance is alright, but I had to put at least 8 pennies (can't remember how many exactly) in the nose to keep it from sitting on its tail.
  19. Texman

Texman Guest

Retractable landing gear, that is just
    too cool Buddy!

20. RoscoVW

RoscoVW New Member

That thing is awesome! Where the heck do you find time to build something that cool AND add a gaggle of new Star Trek models to your website??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.