Conrail GP15-1 kit

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Heres the latest pics. The Frisco paintwork is no more. I've finished the rear end and the primer is on. I hope to get the blue on tonight.

adm.sized.jpg

adl.sized.jpg

adk.sized.jpg

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Here's a few pics with the fuel tank detail and pipes in place and the basic colours on.

However I only just noticed the trucks are wrong. they only have 4 clasp brakes on each truck (1 per wheel), and the Conrail ones have 8. I wonder if Smokey Valley do the correct ones?

adp.sized.jpg

adq.sized.jpg

adr.sized.jpg

adu.sized.jpg

See you after the decals are on.

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, looks great.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
SV didn't make trucks for it, you used Athearn, with all the work you put in it already, find a scrap bunch of sideframes and cut them off to put on yours, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. BTW-looks like all the rivets are on the battery cover!!:p
Waiting for the finished pics!!-:sleeping:

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Here's some shots of the loco with the decals on. In the end, the lettering decals were so small that you can virtually read whats on them, so I went for shapes and colours. I still don't know why half of them are where they are, but who cares.

ou will also notice the borrowed P2K GP9 Blomberg trucks with 8 clasp brakes. They still need some fitting and detailling but I think they make the difference.

aea.sized.jpg

aeb.sized.jpg

aec.sized.jpg

aed.sized.jpg

aee.sized.jpg

aef.sized.jpg

aeg.sized.jpg

aeh.sized.jpg

Now for some truck detailling and weathering.
Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
WOW! Are you sure you are not a magician??? How do you do them so fast, excellent work as usual, Jon..:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Okay, what is the next challenge, you are making my project list grow!!!:eek:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Great job on the GP15-1 Jon. :thumb:
It's nice to see some more Conrail models here.
I'm looking forward to seeing your GP10 project, as this is one I've been considering bashing from an old AHM GP18.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Jon,
It would appear as though you've been bitten by a 'Big Blue' bug... :D

I have a couple of GE 'smurfs', (8-40's CW & STD cabs). Love to throw them in with some Borg units, really makes the locals roll their eyes... :rolleyes:

Nice job on the 'Baby T-motor'.. :thumb: :thumb:

2slim

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jon,
Back when I was servicing microfiche equipment at Outboard Marine Corp.,in Waukegan, Il., I had to drive past C&NW # 4416, almost daily. It took a while to figure out that 4416 was a GP15-1. I decided to try my hand at kitbashing a diesel, and started gathering information.
The first time I tried photographing the 4416, I was "asked" to leave the property. That's when I discovered that if you wore coat and tie, hard hat, and carried a clipboard, no one messed with you! I got some great detail shots, even of the roof! (I don't think it would work now, what with "homeland depravit....ahhh security" and all)
I started with an Athearn product, and a lot of Cannon doors, and used Grant Line window shutters for all the louvers. (I didn't have a model to start with then, the Smokie Valley kit came out just after I'd finished). It was my first diesel kitbash.
I'm very pleased to see someone else modeling the GP15, nice work! :thumb: :thumb:

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Thanks guys.

2slim - I certainly have been bitten by the bug - 8 locos in blue, with 3 set aside for detailling and repainting. Where will it end?

Sumpter - great story. It's amazing how official you can look with a clipboard.

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, since the blue bug is in you, how about a RS-3m, since you're an excellent basher/scratcher/smasher. The Dewitt versions are nicer I think but the Altoona's are easier. I did # 9950 back in the eighties I wish I could post a pic, soon, if I figure out the scanner method. That was the short hoodless RS3m, check out some pics if you can.:thumb:
Just a brainstorm, wow I'm dizzy, haha.:wave:

For some reason I lost the link, but there is no Conrail picture in the fallenflags but there is one under PC.

i was waching a show on RFD TV last night about the BRC and IHB. they showed a BRC switcher in a blue and red paint scheme. it was kinda interesting. that might be a cool one to do if you need a little color to go with those gray and black diesels.

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Thanks for the thumbs up TW. I think I have the video of the programme - lots about the C424's, if it's the same. The loco you're on about was the bi-centennial MP15 and ran with a specially painted caboose into the 80's.

brc534.jpg

A little bit too early for me, but you never know...

Regarding colourful locos, I'm very lucky with the BRC, as just about every class one ran on BRC lines, so take your pick. I'm trying to get a representative from each since the mid 80's, including patch jobs.

Jon