Conrail Blue?

ctrain05

Hello everyone... :wave: my name is Chris and this is my first post on The Gauge. Man this is a awesome forum, areally appreciate what you guys are doing here. Anyway I model N scale, have a 3x7 layout on a door that is my personal project. I also belong to the Knoxville Area Model Railroaders N scale club in which we run operating sessions every 2 weeks. Anyway to my question...

I model NS and Conrail and some CSX. I am repainting some of my loco roster to Conrail, and was buying paint the other day at the loal hobbytown. They were out of all brands of acrylic paint (in which I rather use) for Conrail blue. I went to Michael's and looked at some of the craft paints they had. They had a ton of different color blues. Just wondering if anyone here may have used a "craft paint" for painting a Conrail Loco and maybe could give me the color they used so I could match it up. Copen Blue looked close to Conrail blue but I wasnt sure. Also maybe you guy could list some equivalents, cuz craft paints are so much easier on the budget...thanks chris :wave:

Ray Marinaccio

The best way may be to take a photo of the loco you are modeling with you and match the color.
There seems to be different shades of Conrail blue and the color changes when the paint fades, so the color will be different if you are modeling the loco straight out of the paint shop or years later.
I use Floquil Conrail blue which is a lighter shade than some of the other brands.