Congratulations MDC Roundhouse

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Many congratulations must go to “MDC Roundhouse” for their excellent service department. I had taken delivery of an RTR Shay but it failed to run properly. Three sets of gears were in fact loose on the shafts and the helical gears on the wheel shafts and base plate were also loose.

I informed MDC about it and within 4 days, I had new 4 wheels sets plus the 2 base plates at my house, with no charge to me what so ever. After fitting it all together, the shay now runs beautifully.

Now that’s what I call customer service. Many thanks MDC Roundhouse.

Shamus

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Glad to hear you got her up and running, Shamus. I sometimes wonder, though, how something in such a state ever gets shipped in the first place. From not just MDC, but other manufacturers as well. Many times it seems that things that could be easily be spotted in a quick post-producction checkout are missed. Do they even have a post-production checkout? Or do they just rely on their customers for it?

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I once had the good fortune to be invited to visit to the old MDC factory here in Los Angeles, before they moved to the wilds of --- wherever they are now.

It was small, as manufacturing companies go, but I was impressed by their obvious attention to details, concern for their customers, and attention to keeping the prices of their products down.

The very best companies can have quality control "accidents". QC is a human function, and we humans --- well, all except me --- can screw up at times.

Bill S

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Bill S - According to their web site, MDC is now in Carson City, Nevada. They have a pretty interesting history of their company posted.

I agree that everyone makes mistakes sometimes - my thought was that some companies (not necessarily MDC) seem to make a lot more than you would expect.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
I have the feeling I have answered this post before...strange.

Anyhow, that was very impressive, since you live in an entirely different continent! My hats off to MDC.

Like Tom, I have been impressed with the company ever since I got my first car from them. They are about the only company, next to Con-Cor, that has rolling stock in the black BN scheme, and are about the only company that carries a diverse range of rolling stock such as bath-tub gondolas and thrall gondolas next to Walthers.

They are also much more affordable than most companies. Those having carshops on their layout or wanting parts for kitbashing, I highly recommend getting the "Rip Track" package from MDC.

Later.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Allow me to give you guys a little perspective on QC. I work for a division of Alcoa aluminum (we manufacture doors & window frames). I work in the boxing dept. and I am the last person to touch the product before it is shipped out. It is not hard to mix up one product you have inspected and the next one you haven't and inspect one of them twice and ship the other unchecked. You definately can't be preoccupied with something else. Unfortunately as mentioned QC is a human function and only as good as the person doing it. It keeps me on my toes!!