Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Bionic Modeler, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know if you guys get as confused as I do. But I have scowered the internet over the years and have collected so many models that I wanted to build that now I have so many I can't decide what to build???

Everytime I browse a build thread I want to build it. But I can't build them all, there isn't enough time. Then my themes change. First space, then ships then planes and trains. I haven't tried cars yet but now I am on a lighthouse kick.

How do I make sense of all this. Should I just delete my library and start fresh with only those that I intend to build next? I have become obsessed with collecting models but have slowed down in actually building them. I start one and see another I like better and start that one too. Currently I have 4 or 5 different models that are waiting for completion.

What to do What to do---I am so confused
  2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I'm the same, I have 4/5 models building at once and this don't include my radio boats, radio cars and Plastic's. Not enough time in the day.

I sometimes let someone else decide what I build next, then I see another build I like, so I start on that and before long, I'm swamped. So then I stop looking around for new builds until I finish my current ones. Then it start all over again.

Good luck, I think must of us have the same problem.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

same here kinda :) I typically let my kids decide what I build next - unfortunately I am in a bit of a slump right now :(
  4. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Don't delete your library, some of the older models are no longer available because their websites were not maintained, or the author no longer offers them.

What you can do is burn them to a DVD for external storage and delete the copies from your hard disk. Then you can browse the DVD, and print as you build. I don't know why, but having the files separated onto an external medium like a DVD gives me that "it's in the storage room/attic" kind of feeling.,,maybe it's the inconvenience of having to physically look for the disc that deters the endless browsing...
  5. I already have them on DVD so maybe deleting them from my hard drive would make it harder to browse endlessly.

I have a lot of really neat models. I am building lighthouses now from Fiddlers. Maybe I will post them as I think too little attention has been given to architectural models. They are a great subjet for this medium and some of the designs are incredible. Just look at what is available from Cannon!
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, I keep the models I get off of the internet, whether free or purchased, on the hard drive for a while, then burn them onto disc. I then make a copy of the directory of the disc when it is full and save in in a text file of some sort so I will know what is where.

Some of the models from years ago are no longer available. :)
  7. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

I've got the same problem. I started off on a space 1/96 scale thing and then loved the detail in 1/48, but then realized that the Saturn V was going to be huge, so went back. But in the works i've also got an f1 car, link from zelda, thunderbird 1 and I just want to start more and more. It's hard to stop the urge of starting an new model because I saw the build thread here, but which model!!! I browse through the Gbs of models on my disk. So many great works of art to build.... (Just quietly, I think I'm going crazy)
  8. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I think everybody in this hobby suffers from this affliction. I like to leave the models on the hard drive and just study them from time to time. I find it as interesting as looking at the completed models. Some of these are not just works of art, but design wonders as well.
    As for multiple models under construction, I do this as well. I generally try to make a point of completing them at some point. I have one in construction now for the last eight years (and still far from complete), but have built untold amounts in between that. I like to mix up the types that I am building to keep it interesting and also want to have a sense that I am finishing some, this is why I have many smaller projects underway at one time.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I purchased a 500G hard drive to slave rather cheaply. I have my models on it and anything else that I want saved. If the computer dies or crashes at least that hard drive won't be affected.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.