Confessions of a closet two-railer...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My latest acquisition is this GG1. My Dad gave me one about 10 years ago. Time and folly led me to part with it shortly before he died and, of course, I had regretted the decision ever since. With Chris (Interurban) running around this forum, I couldn't possibly let on that I, am in fact, a closet two railer---one who dares to run juice jacks off the rails instead of the overhead catenary. Since most DCC decoders can now run on DC setups as well, this old but simple fix will keep them juicers with working overhead none the wiser.

Attachments

• gg1 (5).jpg
    gg1 (5).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 129

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
By installing an SPST switch in the nose like so, I can now run her off of the rails or the overhead and no one has to know that I don't have working catenary on my layout. The ceter wire goes to the decoder, the left wire goes to the left pickups and the right wire goes to the pantographs. An old but satisfying cure... Oh yeah...I got a new camera soze now you don't hafta imagine thru the fog what I'm talkin' about:D ;) :p

Attachments

• dscf0009 (2).jpg
    dscf0009 (2).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 122

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I knew as soon as I saw your pics that either someone else took the them or you got a new camera.:cool: The clarity is like night and day, so did you go for all the bells and whistles? I'm not sure I understand the switch concept you say the switch in one position goes to the cantinary but I thought you said that it didn't have power. Also I believe you have a SPDT switch there.:D :thumb:
Pat

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by belg
The clarity is like night and day, so did you go for all the bells and whistles? I'm not sure I understand the switch concept you say the switch in one position goes to the cantinary but I thought you said that it didn't have power. Also I believe you have a SPDT switch there.:D :thumb:
Pat

I jumped on a deal at Dell, since I was already on the market for a new computer anyway. Going from 166 Meg to 3 gig is most definately an eyeopener. I'm gonna be posting a whole lot more now.

I myself don't have running overhead, so using this setup alows me to have it wired for both at the flip of a switch. And yes, it were an SPDT, I'm currently searing my flesh with a soldering iron for misleading impressionable newcomers:eek: ;) :p

Thanks, Chris...SOME day there will be wire to sing under:rolleyes: :cry: