Condor construction (carrion eye candy??)

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Several people asked how I made the condor in the post I made on "carrion~ eye candy?'.

Basically I just copied some pictures from the library and the internet and scaled (1:160) one out on a piece of .010" thick styrene. The California condor's wing spans are upwards to nine and one half feet, it is the largest bird in North America. I believe the South American cousin is slightly larger. After I cut out the silhouette, leaving the tail to hold the critter, I build up the body and wing edge with a heavy glue. Letting each layer dry completely I keep adding the glue until I can get the shape of the body, head and bone/muscle of the wings. I use a water based glue so that on the final coats I can thin it slightly to blend the shape onto the styrene. This one I am making up so that I can animate a circling condor on my layout. One of my club members gave me a motor, with 1 1/2 volts it has one RPM. I think I can hide the motor in the mountain and with a guitar string, bent in an "L" shape, I can animate a circling bird. You know what they say about failures. . . "it's proof that someone tried"

Attachments

• mvc-013s.jpg
    mvc-013s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 234

shaywen

Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
Wow, that's a really neat critter making method. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm glad you're keeping the condor and carrion :) Good luck with the animation. Maybe somehow we'll get to see a movie of it some day.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
A really great idea.

In a similar vein, I saw a chap at a model railway show on saturday who (in HO) had a model hare pop out of some bushes at the front of his layout. I asked him about it and it is done with a slow motion switch machine on its side. It was really good - as was his layout and everyone thought it was hilarious.

I think these are the little touches that can make a layout stand out.