Condor construction (carrion eye candy??)

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Bill Pontin, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Several people asked how I made the condor in the post I made on "carrion~ eye candy?'.

Basically I just copied some pictures from the library and the internet and scaled (1:160) one out on a piece of .010" thick styrene. The California condor's wing spans are upwards to nine and one half feet, it is the largest bird in North America. I believe the South American cousin is slightly larger. After I cut out the silhouette, leaving the tail to hold the critter, I build up the body and wing edge with a heavy glue. Letting each layer dry completely I keep adding the glue until I can get the shape of the body, head and bone/muscle of the wings. I use a water based glue so that on the final coats I can thin it slightly to blend the shape onto the styrene. This one I am making up so that I can animate a circling condor on my layout. One of my club members gave me a motor, with 1 1/2 volts it has one RPM. I think I can hide the motor in the mountain and with a guitar string, bent in an "L" shape, I can animate a circling bird. You know what they say about failures. . . "it's proof that someone tried"

Attached Files:

2. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

everything is white in the picture so I don't know if the glue detailing shows up.

Attached Files:

3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks for the "how to " Bill. We could all use a Condor somewhere on uour layouts.
    Having one circling will be a very neat animation effect
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

5. philip

philip Guest

Hey Bill, Are you going to cast any of those for us?

6. shaywen

shaywen Member

Wow, that's a really neat critter making method. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm glad you're keeping the condor and carrion :) Good luck with the animation. Maybe somehow we'll get to see a movie of it some day.
  7. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Great Idea Bill, looks great! :thumb:
  8. neilmunck

neilmunck Member

A really great idea.

In a similar vein, I saw a chap at a model railway show on saturday who (in HO) had a model hare pop out of some bushes at the front of his layout. I asked him about it and it is done with a slow motion switch machine on its side. It was really good - as was his layout and everyone thought it was hilarious.

I think these are the little touches that can make a layout stand out.