Concrete Arch Bridge... Help.

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been messing around with the design of a concrete arch bridge for about 5 weeks. Any books I have found about bridges have very lightly touch on the subject and with few pic's.
Anyway , I took my idea's and built this bridge, see attached.
It's not done, it still needs concrete form marks, painting and maybe a handrail.
Well tell me the truth, don't hold back, want do you think?
Does it look right?
Anything missing?
Thanks for you help.
Marty

Attachments

• con arch bridge.jpg
    con arch bridge.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 209

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's a classic design, & a very nice piece of workmanship, Marty! :cool:
How did you make it?
Wood? Plaster? Is it a trimmed down tunnel portal?
Now all you need is some water, & scenery, & that will be an oustanding scene!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Thanks for the remarks. I'll finish it without changing the design. Yeah, I'll add some cracks.

Charlie- I made it out of styrene, .060" and .080" sheet. I thought it would be faster than building a mold for plaster. I used a ellipse shaped dish for a pattern for the arch.

Thanks guy's.
Marty

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Marty, the bridge looks great.
I know your frustration in finding good "how'd they build that" info. I myself am suprised at the lack of information on the internet.
I have a book called The American Railway, in it is a chapter dedicated to bridges and another to engineering feats. It was first printed in 1889 I believe and has good illustrations of bridges under construction.

t.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Marty, looking at the bridge again, I wonder if adding another piece of styrene to the face of the arch area where the keystone blocks would be on a stone arch might help give it "definition" if that makes sense.

t.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Marty, thats a hell of a nice bridge, I can just picture the river wandering through it, make a nice photo for photo contests later on.

Shamus

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
t. alexander,
I know what you mean about the "keystone" arch area.
I have been considering adding that. It would add character to the bridge.
That's why I posted this, to get idea's.
Shamus - You are right, hope to have this area done by contest time.
Thanks again to all,
Marty

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I even checked my Model Railroading "Bridges & Trestles" book, and yep, you're right, only passing thoughts on the arched bridges. I was at one point gonna construct a viaduct, and same - I had to search around the inet for photos of same before I started coming up with plans.