Concorde models released

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by patriot missile, Jun 27, 2006.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I for one would love to have the Concorde in KLM colors, even though Air France now owns KLM.

KLM should have bought one, they have been on the fore front of commercial airliners forever.

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

For those who want to know where this picture is from,

The Smithsonian' Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center, the "bigger" museum branch of the Air and Space Museum
    Located in Dulles Va.

If you want to attend the 10th annual International Paper Model Convention, and the concensus is reached, we might go back to the Museum this year

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A BIGGER Concorde Model . . .

Hi all Concorde model builders,

I found this interesting page, the home page of the German airliner-model builder Peter Michel;
    Home page:

He has built this massive flying Concorde scale model;
    1. The building process:
    2. The model in flight:

Furthermore, he also offers the Concorde as a model kit, for those who are interested;
    1. The model kit:
    2. The assembly instructions (in German):

Apart from the beautiful Concorde model shown here, his latest (and biggest) project is a giant flying 1/15th scale model of an A 380 Airbus, with a span of 5,40 meters and a weight of 75 kilos:

Quite impressive, don´t you think?

Back to cutting,
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Concorde enthusiasts.

Last week I finished Curell's Concorde (the British version) 1/144 scale, on 110 gr cardstock, with a couple of layers of Krylon Clear Glaze to both protect the printing and to give a little brightness to it.

My wife is in out of town on vacations, and took the camera with her, and I'm hunting a good camera from friends to take pictures of the model. Soon, soon, don't desmay. I'll even post a video-photo with background music and stuff, just like the one I did with the Millenium Falcon (is still found here: )

Yes, the model is great, yes the model took me 2 weeks to finish it. But I learned some lessons and I'm building right now the Air France version. Again, sorry for not posting pics of the process, but I'll keep you posted.

The model has 4 versions of the cockpit visor: up for supersonic cruise and when parked; 3 more versions with visor down, a) for subsonic cruise (0 degrees), b) for taxiing and take off (5 degrees), and landing and taxiing (12.5 degrees). For the British Airways verision I went for the easiest: visor up. But for the Air France version I'm going to put visor down at 12.5 degrees.

The landing gear is also optional, with the 2 common versions: landing gear up, and landing gear down. My British Airways version has the landing gear down, so it can support the model. On the Air France version and planning on building it with landing gear up, and I'm still thinking on a way to display it "flying".

Any suggestions on how to display it flying?

Here in Juarez, Mexico, there's a museum of the Concorde. It stores engines and other parts of original Concorde. The museum also serves as activities for families on aviation, etc. I'm planning on have a talk with the guys at the museum and have my models displayed there, hopefully. Here's the link, with PDF fact sheet in Spanish and English: :

The museum has airplane plastic models. But I think that a display of paper models in the museum can be a great opportunity to spread the word of paper modeling, don't you think? I'm working on a pamphlet on paper modeling, links, pics, etc., to give away there.
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thanks Bengt, I'm gona use a couple of pictures from your finding to finish the Air France version.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Air France Concorde Model

You´re welcome, milenio,

I´m glad you found them useful. I had lots of fun finding them. I look forward to seeing a picture of your finished model - mine is still in little pieces.

Bengt :grin:
  9. airbob

airbob Member

Concorde Ole!

Many thanks to Mr. Currell again for his superb offering!, especially to those civil aviation enthusiasts! This is of superb detail...I agree as to the beauty of this bird...very, very elegant...breathtaking in lines...and coupled with the satin white exterior cuts a rakish line!!! Assembly of this beautiful airliner is on my agenda! Again many, many thanks to Mr. Currell for donation of this elegant airliner to the cardmodelers free offerings....ABSOLUTELY SUPERB:cool:
  10. erik_tegroen

erik_tegroen New Member

who am I ?

Too bad I am so easily forgotten......... ;-)

If I'm not mistaken, I was the one who started this model of the Concorde.
    Thanks to Ralph and his great software and skills it turned out far better then I could
    ever make it.
    I needed some help and we both got carried away...;-) Not that I mind.
    I quite like the result.
    One day I hope to have the correct software to make my own vector drawings
    and create some nice artwork in PDF format. So far, double-curvature shapes are very
    difficult for me to lay-out in 2D.
    But I'm working on it.

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

2nd Time Around . . .

I´m sure Gerardo and Bob meant no disrespect - they probably aren´t aware of that this is a joint project of designers Erik te Groen and Ralph Currell.
    Apologies on their behalf.

Credit where credit is due,

Bengt :smile:
  12. airbob

airbob Member

Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa!

Sorry:cry: , forgive my mistake! I did read that this was a project between you and Mr. Currell..and you are to be credited with really initiating the project...Forgive my stupidity!!!:oops: .Thanks to you and to Mr. Currell for this impressive beautiful creation!!!
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Erik and Ralph, many thanks. I'm passing these on to my father, who will love building them! One technical question, the Air France version seems to be in vector format, and stays crisp whatever size you print it at, while the BA one seens to be a bitmap image; or am I doing something wrong with Adobe Reader? I for one much prefer the vector format! Being a wingeing pom, I of course would prefer the BA version to be the vector image!!

There's no pleasing some people..... (Life of Brian)

Thanks again for some excellent models, I am UTTERLY biased in my opinion of this aircraft, I'm just thankful I grew up with it, the old man worked on it for more than 30 years, and 216 G-BOAF sits, brooding I reckon, only a couple of miles away. Being under Green One, the sight and sound of her climbing away to the west is an abiding memory, too long taken for granted.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  14. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I hear you there, I genuinely miss seeing Concorde flying round almost like losing a pet or something, its so sad. And also very annoying, I hear that the Vulcan could be flying next year at air shows yet we will not get to see a Concorde flying ever again. I think Jeremy Clarkson summed it up perfectly with what he said about the French Concorde disaster "for the first time people were not only mourning the loss of life but also the loss of the machine itself". Such an emotional plane.
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

A a homage for Erik and Ralph

Ladies and Gentlemen, here it is... a homage for Erik and Ralph. Guys, you are outstanding.

Not only the model on the outside is with great design, but the model on the inside as well.

I'll post the link for the photo album.

THANK YOU!! :wink:

Attached Files:

16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Concorde Model Finished

What a fine model - it looks very good indeed!
    And what better homage could there be for the designers than this beautiful build.
    Nice pictures too.

Way to go, Gerardo!

Bengt :grin:
  17. erik_tegroen

erik_tegroen New Member

Vector vs bitmap

Ralph and I each made our version in our own preferred way.
    Since I don't have the software nor the skills to use a vector program,
    I stayed loyal to my PSP programs.
    But don't worry. Even printed at double the size, my bitmap version will
    still look acceptable.
    Both printed on A4/US letter there should be very little difference.

And all of you are very lucky, still....... I made a mistake I never made
    before. Ralph and I set a deadline. After so many months we just wanted
    to get the model finished.
    Just hours before the model was uploaded I was still making changes to
    the model.
    In the rush converting it to PDF format, I forgot to save all drawings as
    a 256 color TIFF, as I did with all other models.
    Hence, all drawings of the Concorde model are 16 million color TIFFs.
    Zoom in on the tail fin. The part where it gets lighter ( the red and blue
    banner) is still "smooth", while it actually should be somewhat blocky; an effect
    caused by reducing the colors to 256.
    Most models I made have been drawn on sheets of 1600x1200 pixels.
    I wanted a higher resolution and better quality for Concorde, so I used larger
    sheets of 2000x1500.
    This eventually became 1922x1453 pixels at 187.5 dots per inch.
    On a sheet this large there is little loss of quality once reduced to 256 colors,
    but when printed on quality paper, using a very good printer, every bit
    of extra quality may count.
    Maybe the option "digital camera correction" - if your printersoftware offers
    that option - the blockyness may be reduced even a bit more.
    Works for me, anyway.

So, there it is.
    The BA version is only available as bitmap (converted to PDF) and the AF version
    will only be available as a vector drawing.
    And since both versions are totally free of charge and (may I say this ) since there
    isn't a better looking version at the moment, I think Ralph and I came up with
    something nice !! ;-)

P.S. Don't worry, I'm sure nobody meant any disrespect ! ;-) I'm a big fan
    of Ralph, too. And cooperations between 2 modelers is very rare so it's something
    that's easily overlooked.
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Indeed, you came up with this models very nice.
    I am building the AirFrance version... for now, the fuselage is complete.

Maybe I'm not the skillest builder on the neighborhood, but I think my model is fair enough according to what you and Ralph wanted.

Oh, I forgot to say, I printed the originals on US letter, on cardstock 110 gr, and then I applied 2 or 3 layers of Krylon Cristal Clear (or did I already posted that details? Mmm)

Here's the link to the photo album>

More to come: a video-photo. Stay tuned.
  19. airbob

airbob Member

Concorde OLE!

The model is most does homage to Eric and Ralph that it looks SOOOO CLEANNNN in line....great to see a picture of the final construction....maybe I'll move this build up on my list!!!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!:yep:
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you Airbob.
    I recomend this model very much... it is a free download, but it is constructed as a purshased kit. Details... details... details...