Concorde models released

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by patriot missile, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Very impressive! The level of refinement is amazing. I haven't built it or even started but someone who takes this much care to make the whole thing from parts pages to instructions look good probably designed a model with excellent fit as well.
  2. Ken Horne

Ken Horne Member

Hey Fellas,

I am very nearly finished Currell's Vickers Transoceanic Airship and I love the kit. The instructions are so un-card-model :) It really has been a treat to build. The Concorde looks the same. I can't wait!

All along this build I have been thinking that the Vickers Transoceanic Airship must have been imagined as the Concorde of it's day (though it actually never was completed...) Relitively few passengers going from London to New York at 4x the speed. I'm going to display them side by next.... Ooooh what fun :)

ps Curell's site is
    Absolutely top notch models, in my humble opinion
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Vickers Transoceanic Airship Project From 1919

Hi Ken,

I totally agree with you - the Vickers London - New York airship model is a beautiful model, and so are all the other models that Ralph Currell so graciously provides free of charge. I started building it but left it half-finished when I bought a larger printer. I will make larger sheets now, and I think I will change the grey colour slightly towards darker and more neutral.
    Have you seen the pictures of the large (225%) model on Ralph Currell´s site? I would like to build one like this, from a high quality laser print.

This airship was a grand project for it´s day in 1919, just after WW I: with six engines, two outside promenade decks (one on the top behind the passenger quarters and one at the far end of the tail) plus one "observation car" below the ship aft, roomy sleeping cabins, a lift and a luxurious restaurant on top.
    But the disaster of the R-101 on it´s way to India halted further development of the Vickers airships. It was a great pity - this airship would certainly have rivalled the famous and popular LZ-127 "Graf Zeppelin", which became the first aircraft to circumnavigate the Globe in 1929.
    It will certainly make a very interesting historical comparison next to Erik te Groen´s and Ralph Currell´s fine new Concorde model!

Here are some more interesting facts about the Vickers Transoceanic airship: -Oceanic.htm
    and some more pictures of the model:

best regards,
    Bengt :roll:
  4. cbg

cbg Member

Wow. . .all that detail and at 1/144! And in two versions, no less (wonder if it'll stand up to enlargement? Hmmm. . .).

Thanks, Ralph and Erik for making both available. My eight year-old is impressed by anything that's fastest/biggest/first ever in its category and Concorde certainly will impress him.

Ready to enjoy,
  5. GT5500

GT5500 Member

These things are mad, it is without a doubt the best Concorde model I have seen and the Concorde is my favourite Airliner. My grandparents live on the Concorde flight path near Heathrow, and when it was in service I used to love watching it come over head. Actually I remember once when I was working in my garage hearing a thundering sound, I went outside and was graced with the view of Concorde gear and nose down on its final approach into RAF Manston for a pleasure flight (something like £1500 for half an hour of subsonic flight!) well done I love this model.
  6. modelincard

modelincard Member

I used to live near the approach of the Concorde, only at JFK (NY City). It was prety easy to tell from anything else (just a bit louder :twisted:).

Nice to see a good model of it like this.
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I always thought it had a different noise to other airliners, maybe due to the re-heat engines!, sure is a beaut though, or was anyway. I really want them to keep one flying for airshows, have heard exiting news that a team of people are getting an Avro Vulcan flying again, I really can't wait.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Sorry, Concorde will never fly again. Now the simulators have been dismantled, there won't be any way of qualifying a pilot, let alone the fact that Airbus have said they won't support such a project. My father is a guide on the one at Filton, having spent 35 years working on them as a design engineer, and corrosion has already taken its toll.

The Vulcan might fly again, but the cost associated with getting Concorde in the air would be massively more than the Vulcan.

9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Concorde was my wake up call for ten days during the summer of 96...I was Long Line Fishing off Montauk...waaaayyyy off Montauk and its sonic boom hit on time every morning..

I saw it take off from JFK a few times on my travels home, and I know how people think specific aircraft are beautiful...but God damn that thing is a piece of beautiful as the the B-2 is weird

For those who can...a new Book Vulcan 607 is out on shelves.....Its an amazing piece of history.. Ill definetly be going to see XH558 fly again when it happens

Thanks to Mr. Currell and Eric Im going home early from woek to start that one

John John
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Concorde on Display at Sinsheim-Speyer in Germany

Hi Concorde enthusiasts,

I found this nice page while searching for another airplane - it´s the Concorde on an outside display at the Sinsheim-Speyer Museum in Germany:

It really is a breathtakingly beatiful bird - it´s a pity it will never fly again . . .

11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's a beautiful shot, Bengt! Thanks!

12. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Yup, the details are the typical Ralph Curell & Erik te Groen realism. All models are just itching to be build!

BTW, I requested a 1/32 scale SS1 from Ralph last month and just received it a few days later, to replace the SS1 included in Dr. Z's Tier One kit :-D
  13. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Is that publicly available or by request, id try the WK1 again if I had a more realistic SS1?

John John
  14. Hans Christian

I just requested it. But I can send it to you sir, pls reply with your e-mail add, thanks!!! :-D

I received a copy of Dr.Z's Tier One kit as a gift, and I'm building it right now, and yup, Ralph's SS1 is way better. But the WK's shape is correct though...

So I'm building the 2 in the X-prize qualifying scheme. I'm nearly done with the carrier plane, and will start the SS1 ASAP (I'll also integrate the cockpit for the SS1 into Ralph's model)
  15. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

the internal structire of the WK1 wrecked my head, The peices that attached to the spar never had the correct sections, either too many bends or not enough bends, and not a mix up between part numbers as they didnt fit either side of the spar, did you have problems?
    thanks you have a pm Hans
  16. Hans Christian

Is this about the wing spars sir???

I have no trouble in mine, in fact, it went better than expected. And it was very rigid.
  17. erik_tegroen

erik_tegroen New Member

Concorde enlarged

These two models will definitely stand up to enlargement ! ;-)

I know....... I tried.

Let the PDF files be printed on heavy paper in a professional
    print shop and you won't be disappointed !
    One step larger, from A4 to A3, gives a model in scale 1:101.8
    I don't know what the US equivalent is. US-A --> US-B ??

To get a model in scale 1:72, simply print it on A2 ( US letter C ??? )
    ( Concorde will be over 84 cm long !! (33 inches.... )

The fit will still be good. Don't forget to use thicker paper when
    enlarging. Most models were designed for a specific thickness paper.
    Enlarging a model means the paper thickness has to increase, also.

Go ahead ! Print it ! Build it !

And don't forget to post pictures ! ;-)

18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

BAC-Aèrospatiale Concorde Card Models

Hello Erik,

1:72 sounds really interesting - I´ll have to contact my local print shop, to see if they can print on glossy or semi-glossy card in A2 . . .

Thanks for the tip, Erik,
    Must build this one,
    Bengt :grin:
  19. erik_tegroen

erik_tegroen New Member

Hello Bengt and others,

These enlargements will do nicely. For now. Consider it an exercise.....;-)

Those two Concordes aren't the whole story.

There's more to come......

More and .......maybe......bigger...........? |-)

Gloss or semi-gloss will be perfect. It will look great. You'll see.
    And any good print shop with modern soft- and hardware can handle just
    about any type of data. Especially PDF's. They are almost a worldwide
    standard, now. No problem for a professional print shop.

p.s. Do you like the Dutch KLM color scheme ?