Conceptual Mars lander

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by dhanners, Feb 19, 2005.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

I've added some photos of an original design for a conceptual Mars lander, in 1/96th scale. Or may it is 1/72nd. I haven't decided yet....

Although it is an original design, it is based loosely on many of the artists' conceptions that are floating around right now. The main body of the model is a model rocket tube, and I used an online shroud calculator to determine the dimensions for the nose section, the lower engine section and the "well" inside the engine section where the rocket nozzle is.

The outer section of the model was covered in various types of paper. The black tiles on the body were individually cut (I won't be doing that again....) from a nice textured black cardstock that I came across. Sixty-five weight paper and heavier white posterboard paper was used to detail the white sections, along with a paper-backed silver sheet that I found at an art supply store. I tried to do the nose from paper but just couldn't get the even curves I wanted, so I wound up using spackling paste on the tip of the nose.

The various markings, windows and details were either created using the "Draw" function in Word, or by cutting-and-pasting stuff from the Internet (i.e., the NASA "meatball" and the American flag) and printing them out onto paper that was then used in construction of the model.
  2. damraska

damraska Member

Your Mars Lander looks very cool. It reminds me of various spacecraft depicted in NASA conceptual artwork from the early and mid 1970s. You really captured the look and feel of the conjectural subject, especially with the texturing of the tiles and hull details. If I may offer one critical observation: the landing gear look too simplistic in comparison with the rest of the model. I think something a little more elaborate would add to the realism.

3. dhanners

dhanners Member

I gave some thought to the landing gear question during construction, and decided to keep things simple. The vehicle has to withstand an atmospheric entry (hence the tiles) and spindly legs would just seem out of place in that context. So I went with something that could be totally enclosed; it may not be immediately obvious from the photos, but the landing pads (the "feet") are of a shape that, when rotated into the "up" position, they would make for an enclosed landing gear fixture.