Compound Curve???

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Can someone tell me what a compound curve is. I think I placed one in my new layout plan by mistake. I am talking about a curve changing into another curve but in the opposite direction.

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
What you are calling a 'compound curve' is what I have always heard referred to as an S or Reverse Curve. Generally not a good thing to have...you need a straight length, usually at least a car length, between the curves. If there is no straight, run very slow through it, it will be a constant problem. Bill

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
You might be OK if the curves are shallow enough. I have a reverse curve on my new layout, and so far it hasn't given me any problems. It has 19" radius curves on both sides, and I've mainly been running short hoppers along it.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Curve

Yes I always called that an S curve. In G it isn't much of a problem, but in HO or N - it's taboo, (except in yard leads where you run......s l o w) :) A compound curve is where you may have 22" radius track at each end of an 18" rad. curve.

Ccurve.jpg

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
curves

I've always called them "S" curves as well. No reall prob running thorugh them, but they look unrealistic when using long passenger coaches. However, into sidings/yards etc you can't really avoid them. Just use longer turnouts.

N Guager, What you describe there, is the opposite of what I'd call a "transitional" curve. You know, where you gradually increase the sharpness as you go into/exit from the curve, with the sharpest part of the curve is in the "middle", not at the ends. I try to "transition" all my curves. much more realistic and rmoves that "jerk" and the ends of passenger coaches poking out as they shaprly enter the curve.