Compound Curve???

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by mrgooch, May 12, 2002.

  1. mrgooch

    mrgooch Member

    Can someone tell me what a compound curve is. I think I placed one in my new layout plan by mistake. I am talking about a curve changing into another curve but in the opposite direction.
  2. BillD53A

    BillD53A Member

    What you are calling a 'compound curve' is what I have always heard referred to as an S or Reverse Curve. Generally not a good thing to need a straight length, usually at least a car length, between the curves. If there is no straight, run very slow through it, it will be a constant problem. Bill
  3. roryglasgow

    roryglasgow Active Member

    You might be OK if the curves are shallow enough. I have a reverse curve on my new layout, and so far it hasn't given me any problems. It has 19" radius curves on both sides, and I've mainly been running short hoppers along it.
  4. N Gauger

    N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict


    Yes I always called that an S curve. In G it isn't much of a problem, but in HO or N - it's taboo, (except in yard leads where you run......s l o w) :) A compound curve is where you may have 22" radius track at each end of an 18" rad. curve.

  5. Woodie

    Woodie Active Member


    I've always called them "S" curves as well. No reall prob running thorugh them, but they look unrealistic when using long passenger coaches. However, into sidings/yards etc you can't really avoid them. Just use longer turnouts.

    N Guager, What you describe there, is the opposite of what I'd call a "transitional" curve. You know, where you gradually increase the sharpness as you go into/exit from the curve, with the sharpest part of the curve is in the "middle", not at the ends. I try to "transition" all my curves. much more realistic and rmoves that "jerk" and the ends of passenger coaches poking out as they shaprly enter the curve.

Share This Page