Completed Bill Jones' Avro Arrow

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sjsquirrel, Feb 10, 2006.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

I recently completed a build of the Avro Arrow model created by Bill Jone's. I've attached a picture of the completed model and the stand I designed for it.

Very nice model, but like Bill says in the instructions there are a few rough spots yet. Well worth downloading.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

VERY nicely done, Steve!

Were there any rough spots in the build that you can recall?

Sure can't see any from the picture, great job!

3. silverw

silverw Member

HI Steve ....

... and thanks again for the build info!

I do hope to re-do this thing.... with all the deserving details
    But.. like I said ..... one reply in 10000 downloads, sure does dampen the enthusiasum!

Your stand for the model looks GREAT... and if I ever get the final one finished... i"ll sertainly include it!!!

............ Bill
  4. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Arrow build

There are some rough spots, as Bill readily points out in the instructions, but for the most part an experienced modeller (which I am not) would probably have an easier time of it. What tripped me up the most was forgetting to test fit before gluing, particularly on the first couple sections of the fuselage, and a general lack of experience. This was only my second paper model. I did a lot of plastic kits when I was younger and only recently discovered paper modeling. I really enjoyed building this model and would certainly recommend it.

I found the wings a bit tricky - the skins didn't quite line up and cover the frame 100%, but I think that was mostly due to an accumulation of errors I made, and it was nothing the casual observer would see anyway (I tend to be a perfectionist). I also got confused for a while by the fact that the ribs are on the bottom of the wings. I kept thinking the ribs must be on the top and almost glued the first skin on the wrong wing.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how the model turned out. I collected a bunch of comments and sent them off to Bill hoping he'll do a revision in the future. I'm also putting together a review of the Arrow build, and a couple others that I'll put on my web site in the near future with more pictures. I'll post a note here when that happens.

5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Orion III Space Clipper from "2001 - A Space Odyssey"

Hi Steve,

That Avro Arrow really is a very nice build of yours! I downloaded it a while ago and I will start building it soon.
    Right now, I´m building (among many other projects) an enlarged version of Gary Pilsworth´s Orion III space clipper, which I think is a beautiful design. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the jet engine "housing" at the top of the rear of the plane is a little bit to high, if you compare it to the model in Stanley Kubrick´s film - I´m thinking of lowering it just a little.
    I have cut out the windows of the cockpit and passenger cabin (with the help of my small rotating X-Acto Swivel knife) and I´ve recently begun thinking about installing some small shielded LED bulbs in the cieling and wires and a battery hidden in the stand. For windows I will use slightly coloured clear photographic filters, red for the cockpit and maybe blue-green or yellow for the passenger compartment. And, this is where I´m a little stuck right now, because I have to decide if I should install a full interior with dividing walls (omitting some of the fuselage formers), passenger seats and cockpit controls or not... and perhaps even retractable landing gear..?
    I also realize now that I should have printed the backside of the fuselage sheet black or dark grey before cutting into it, so that the lamps will not illuminate whole portions of the white cardboard insides... oh well, back to the printer... and the windows all over again... phew!
    (my problem is that my models never seem to get quite finished!)

It would be very interesting to hear what you experienced while building this fine model, perhaps with a picture of your build? I´m thinking of using joining strips for this model - what method did you use for joining the fuselage parts? And, how did you solve the rear end of the plane with the jet engine openings and the two "spikes"? I´m thinking of using thin white toothpicks or shashlik skewers.
    Please write a few lines and tell me about it.

best regards,
    Bengt Fredén, Stockholm
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Re: Orion III

I used the tabs for the first couple fuselage sections and didn't like the results so I switched to joining strips for the remaining sections. Joining strips worked very well, but patience is required. Let the glue dry thoroughly after you glue in the bulkhead and before you try joining the sections. For the engine spikes I used round toothpicks (or round cocktail sticks). The scale was about just right for the model as delivered from Gary. Not sure if it would look right at your enlarged size.

By the way, I'd appreciate a copy of your enlarged pattern - I'd love to build this model again in a larger format.

I never did solve the engine opening issue - I just left them out for this time around. You can see how it looks in the attached pictures. If you study the 3D model in the PDO file you can see that there are several fold lines that don't show up when you print the model - they are black lines on a black background. Some trial and error will be required. Before I build it again I'll sit down and update the plan for that piece.

You should be able to finish this one. I think it took me around 10 hours total.

Let me know how it turns out.

Attached Files:

7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Orion III space clipper 2001 - enlarged size

Hi Steve!

Many thanks for the fine pictures - you have really made a very good looking build!!!
    Re. the size: I just printed Gary´s original .jpg sheets as large as possible in my Epson R1800 printer (which in my case is limited to about 420 mm in paper width) onto heavy matte photo paper, with a thickness/paper weight of 230 g/m2, which seemed appropriate for a model of this size.
    I really don´t know what the scale would be (but I´m´trying to learn now).
    Gary´s model is also available in GIF-files, but the resolution is the same.

By the way, I made the internal fuselage formers comletely ROUNDED, which they aren´t on the original sheets - I thought it might be easier to achive a better form and make the glueing easier, even if it means that you of course have to make about twice as many glueing flaps.

Re. the engine openings: I think I might try to make black or dark grey holes or funnels of some kind, to achieve a more realistic look.

When I´m nearing completion, I´ll definately post a little report and a couple of pictures...

Best regards from sunny Stockholm
    Bengt F:) :) :)
  8. Grig

Grig New Member

Nice. I've been building (on and off again) a model rocket of the Arrow, 1:48 scale. It still needs some internal work for the recovery system, and the outside is just plain white at the moment. I'll be scared to death to launch it when that day comes.