Compatibility With Graham Farish Track

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by uhohrobbo, Dec 4, 2004.

1. uhohrobbo

uhohrobbo New Member

Hello all,

This is probably a really stupid question but I am a complete newbee. What makes are compatibile with Graham Farish? Or do your know where I can buy single pieces of Graham farish track from? Any info on recomended suppliers and compatibility would be very much appreciated.

Rob :confused:
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Rob, here's a link:

I did not know about this, but apparently British N scale
    is 1:148 instead of the usual 1:160. :eek: :eek: It still use
    N gauge track (9mm) same as everyone else. Go figure.

There was also Graham Farish OO gauge (1:76) which runs on
    HO track, but I think is no longer produced??
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Rob: GF rolling stock should be compatible with any N gauge track.
    I last bought GF track (some points) about 30 years ago. I found it a little coarse at the time; I don't know if it's improved any.
    I may have some stored away still. How close are you to Toronto? :rolleyes:
  4. uhohrobbo

uhohrobbo New Member

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I live in England so I'm not very close to Toranto. Also this means I'm using british N-gauge, i.e. 1:160 for track and 1:148 for loco's etc.

I heard that Peco track was compatibile with GF, have any of you heard this? If so do you know if its:
    Peco Setrack
    Peco Streamline Code 100
    Peco Streamline Fine Scale

Thanks for your help.
    rob :eek:
  5. moria

moria Member

Hi :)

okay... confusion reigns :) Lets do small steps here... firstly.. the track is N-gauge, the scale that runs on it (N-scale) varies by country.

North American and European (non-british) N-scales are 1:160. Japanese are 1:152 and UK is 1:148. those are the scales.

Track is N-gauge and all of it is 9mm between the rails no matter what country you are in.

For the purposes of this discussion, all manufacturers N-scale stock will run on anyone elses N-Guage track. (Yes, generalisation, but at this level a true one)

GF track hasn't been made for a while and it was pretty horrendous (I understand that these days, GF starter sets now come with Peco Settrack in them)... however, Graham Farish N-scale trains will run on any N-gauge track, be it Peco, Atlas, Kato, Shinohara, Micro-Engineering, whoever.

The best bet for starting ( in my opinion) is to look at the Peco N-gauge track, either code 80 or code 55.. also known as streamline track. Peco also make a system called Settrack in code 80 for N-gauge which is like stater layout track where you get straights and curves etc all pre-formed which you just plug together to make a layout.

Any of these will be fine with Graham Farish N-scale stock.

Hope this helps

(also in Toronto.. seems a popular place)
  6. uhohrobbo

uhohrobbo New Member

ahhh ok. Thanks everyone.