Communicator Badges?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Since there are so many Trek props out there(dripping with sarcasm here), does anybody know if a model of the communicator badges used in TNG and DS9 are available anywhere on the net?
  2. panzer

panzer Member

I don't know about any models, but there are some hi-res graphics at It should not be a problem to layer them on thicker cardstock an color the edges or even make a "real" model out of it.
  3. clif52

clif52 Banned

Great site for Star Trek information and graphics. I don't think I've seen it before.

Thanks for posting the link.
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

I'll be taking that idea one step further and make it a full-fledged card model. But I'll make the "stack o' cardstock" version first for dimensioning off of. Thanks for the pics! I tried Google and Ex-Astris Scientia, but neither came up with any good solutions.
  5. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Quick & Dirty

Heres a quick and dirty model. Two actually, because ya gotta talk to someone. Laminate to desired thickness (1 - 2 mm anyway)

Attached Files:

6. panzer

panzer Member

Very nice, thanks!!!
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

I like that comm-badge! I'll be displaying it along with all my other Federation props. The only things I would suggest:

Include enough space to glue the arrowhead directly on top of the other parts. Left as it is, there would be a small gap in between the arrowhead and the oval.

Put in some strips of grey and gold to cover the sides of the parts.

Shrink the size of the banner at the top of the page to save on ink.

Could you do a Voyager/Deep Space Nine version, a "Future Imperfect" version, and an "All Good Things. . ." version please? :D
  8. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Glad you like it - suggested changes made (mostly) Ver 1.01 attached. I am working on several other designs at the moment but, I do get bored . . . . . .

Attached Files:

9. Millenniumfalsehood

By all means, get bored!

That sounds wrong somehow. . .:eek:
  10. panzer

panzer Member

Maybe we'll have a Voyager communicator in a few hours! Occasionally a friend from made one and sent it to me as base for a display stand. It just has to be scaled and needs a little glue tab editing.

I've already asked the designer for his permission.
  11. panzer

panzer Member

Voyager Communicator

OK, here we have a Communicator from "Voyager" and the later movies! :mrgreen:

Many thanks to Marko "D-WHALE" Haertel who made this display stand base for his permission to downsize and upload it!:wave:

EDIT: I haven't found something about the size of that prop so I presumed circa 7 centimeters.

Attached Files:

12. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! I'll give this one a try, too. The only probles I can forsee is that the raised portion of the arrowhead is just an image and the "wings" on either side don't have cutouts on the inside. Other than that, it looks to be a nice simple build.
  13. panzer

panzer Member

Yes, D_WHALE also said that. As I've mentioned before it was orginally just a simple display stand base.

I first thought that the sheet could be printed out two times to customize strips for the small cutouts and to laminate the raised portion. But wait, there is enough space on the sheet, so I will modify this and upload a new version!
  14. panzer

panzer Member

This is the final version (at least I hope so...) with holes and an additional layer for the arrowhead. You'll have to trim the hole's edges and add some glue tabs while assembling because I've made just a few changes in Photoshop.

I recommend to cut away the now redundant parts of the "wings' " edges after fixing them.

These are two screenshots of the original Pepakura development and the new model sheet:

Attached Files:

15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool! That looks great, panzer!:cool:

Thank you so much! Another great day for Trekkies!

16. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! I'll build this one up for sure! :D
  17. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hey, these are cool. I have a bunch of concept sketches for comm badges. Would you be interested in those?

These wouldn't take too long to bash into papermodels. :)