Common Scale for Air and Armor?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by pixelkeg, May 11, 2005.

1. pixelkeg

pixelkeg New Member

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here on and off, building freebies as I go. Now I'm gearing up to purchase a couple of models, but I have a question...

I'd really like to build tanks and planes in the same scale, but which scale? Any recommendations? Here are my main considerations:

-Smaller scales (1/72) would be easier to keep in this small apartment, and would keep my wife happier :p But I can forget about a lot of the detail.

- Bigger models allow more detail (1/25) but would be difficult to display

So the question is: What scale would balance detail with shelf space?

1/48 ?

Thanks for any opinions:

2. cygielski

cygielski Member

Go metric with 1/50!!! :mrgreen:
  3. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

Well, the vast, vast majority of paper armor models are 1/25, and planes 1/33. So unless you are planning to scan and reduce kits, your choices are going to be drastically limited right off. And the publishers known for high-detail (Halinski, GPM, Modelik, etc) publish most everything in these scales.

I have a serious space shortage myself, so I doubt most of the planes I've bought over the years will ever get built. I'll be sticking with armor and vehicles for the for-seeable future.
  4. pixelkeg

pixelkeg New Member

Not a bad idea :) Especially since the 1:25 kits would be easy to rescale. I'll have to do some tests to see what the same length airplane will look like in different scales

You bring up a good point. I should have been more clear in my first post by saying that the plan is to rescale the models to a common scale.

thanks all,
  5. cygielski

cygielski Member

Once you figure out the multiplication factor, all kits are easily rescaled. The fit of this reduced/enlarged model is another thing -- you have to account for designed-in paper and cardboard thickness.
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

Since Space is at a premium for you--I'd go with reducing everything to a common scale. Now a lot depends on the era you're modeling. !/48 WW2 fighters aren't all that large--but if you're going to get into bombers, 1/48 can get big fast. Modern jet fighters are quite large at 1/48, so you might consider a smaller scale. I myself like 1/72...but then again--my favorites are jets. The greatest thing about card modeling in the age of computers, is that, unlike our plastic modeling bretheren, who have to search high and low to find stuff in the same scale--or do with out--we, can have it all. ..anything in any scale we want.We're only limited by our imagination. Now, if you ever plan to combine any of your models with a railroad, you might consider one of the standard model RR scales...such as 1/87 (HO), 1/76 (OO), 1/64 (S) or 1/48 (O).