Comments welcome

Cpt Carter

Mar 6, 2003
UK
Visit site
This is my first attempt at desiging a layout and any feedback will be much appreciated.

I am modelling in HO and the dimensions are 7' across the top and 6' down the side all about 18" deep. The layout will be set into the corner of the spare room, access to which has just been negotiated with the domestic authorities.

I have tried to incorporate freight operations and passengers services into the same small area. to this end i have used a slightly modified time saver shunting puzzle and a small branch line spur, possibly for passenger or maybe for a as yet undecided industry.

The red line is where i was looking to position a platform and the area behind the marked area on the left side will be storage tracks.

Any suggestions, opinions and comments are most welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• layout 01.jpg
    layout 01.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 260

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Cpt.,

I think your plan is a good approach to an industrial switching layout that could serve several small companies or even one very large one such as a steel mill or paper plant that has many different buildings. I gather from the size of the layout and the length of your spurs that you probably plan to run short locos and cars. It'd be great if you could extend the 7 foot shelf a little more to lengthen the spurs, but allocated space is allocated space. :)

The trackage in the center of the red circle looks rather complicated to me and I'm not sure if it really increases any operational advantage. I see a run around in there but that's a lot of turnouts in a small space (a problem expense-wise and also possibly derailment-wise unless you're a master at making bullet proof track). If it were me I'd simplify this a little.

Whether you change that area or not I'd recommend extending the track I marked with the red arrow and #2. This is a switch lead for those spurs and it might be nice to have more length. You might be able to make it seem to go "off layout" with the other two storage tracks you noted.

The branch line increases your operating potential but I wonder if you might want to dedicate a siding if you can fit it in? (red arrow and #3) I'm picturing the line you drew there as the wall of a large industry that could hide the two storage tracks and serve as a customer for your line.

Considering the size of the layout are you thinking of Budd cars or doodlebugs or some other small passenger equipment?

Best wishes with the plan. Keep us up to date!
Ralph

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 237

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Looks like you'll have lots of operational possibilities. Is one of the tracks a "through" line? This would allow you to model daily traffic through "your part of town" and give you the opportunity to collect cars from other rail lines in the "area".

Layout wise i'd suggest canting the rails so they aren't parallel to the table edges. This gives the layout a more dynamic look.

Regards,
Ted

Cpt Carter

Mar 6, 2003
UK
Visit site
Thanks for the comments so far. I have made some mods to the layout to take these comments into account.

I have simplified the shunting at the top of the layout and also increased the lengths.

I have modified the branch line spur to end in the smaller spurs as i think this could be better to serve an industry.

The storage tracks will be hidden behind some sort of scenic break to remain out of view.

I have attached an image of the updated plan and please feel free to offer any more thoughts that you may have.

Thank you.

Attachments

• layout 02.jpg
    layout 02.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 217

Cpt Carter

Mar 6, 2003
UK
Visit site
Sorry i forgot to mention that in response to a previous comment i will only be running the smaller rolling stock of only 3 or maybe 4 cars.

I did consider a move to n gauge because of the limited space available however this would have made it expensive for me, plus the fact that i already have a collection of 5 locos and 20 or so items of rolling stock (freight and passenger).

I also like the availability of the OO/HO equipment compared to N here in the UK of british steam locos. This is also one of the reasons that i am going to try for a mid 60's sort of setting so that i can still run my couple of diesels if i feel like it :D

Thanks again.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
The plan as it stands will be fine for switching around on. As I see it, you still have ample space for scenics.
By the way, where in the UK are you. I live in the Midlands.

cheers
Shamus

Cpt Carter

Mar 6, 2003
UK
Visit site
Hi Shamus, thanks for your comments.

I am also in the Midlands, nearest town is Tamworth which about 5 miles away.

I have found that there is a good number of hobby shops all within about a 20 min drive from my house and plenty more if i want to go a bit further so i am looking forward to starting my layout. :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Your more than welcome to visit me sometime if you want to.

Just use the Private Message system.
Cheers
Shamus

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
That red line for the platform is tucked into a very narrow space -- I don't think you'll have room for much more than a Peco carriage cleaning platform there.
You will need some sort of display space for surplus rolling stock -- a set of shelves probably -- since the layout may not be comfortable with more than 2 locos at a time.