Coming in From the Cold

cardfella

Jul 25, 2012
Seattle, Washington USA
Hello All:

I began card modelling as a kid during WW2 with Wallis Rigby models and continued off and on with card models since then. Later, when I lived in Germany and Austria, I discovered the Wilhelmshavener ship models and brought back a number of them. I stopped due to studies and professional obligations, but recently rediscovered a batch of sheets I'd bought in Europe those many years ago and have begun to card model again. Also discovered the really marvelous and sophisticated Polish models, so there's a lot to choose from nowadays.

I'm truly amazed at at the sheer quality of craftsmanship displayed in the posts on this site. Those models set the bar at a very high level.

I have a question: despite the availability of so many models, I haven't found many highly detailed versions of interwar aircraft (except Polish ones). I would like to scratch build a couple of my favorite American interwar biplanes (like the PT-1 or the early Curtiss Hawks) in 1/32. I do have Wylam and Wylie plans of these aircraft, though. Is there a trial-and-error method of doing this without CAD? Suggestions would be welcome.

Richard

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome to the forum, nice to have you aboard. There is a way of building your plane but it involves having really good drawings, of the formers, where they place along the fuselage, etc. You always build a model in half sections. Since the majority of aircraft, all from that error were built using a scale, compass and rule, it would be ludicrous to think one could not make a perfect representation of the model. In many ways, you will not suffer from software limitations trying to make a piece that has compound curves. Just using a piece of balsa block and sanding it into shape, and there you are. Gogle blueprints for the plane you want to build and grab the best out of each and, if you have a computer, scale to the size you wish. With the plane I found in a 2 minute search, you should be able to build most of the plane without any trouble. A lot depends on your skill. If you are making one offs for yourself, that is easier because you can take shortcuts that a model for the masses wouldn't work, as some people do not want to fabricate anything. :)

3499.jpg

cardfella

Jul 25, 2012
Seattle, Washington USA
Thanks for the Welcome

ASC and Zathros:

Thanks for your responses. From what Zathros said, it looks like I could apply the old Guillow method of building balsa flying models, scaled down to card stock. I'll give it a try: nothing to lose but a few sheets of 67# and 110" stock (possibly a thicker cardboard for the profile center spine) and some glue! Boxy biplanes, such as the PT-1, should be pretty straightforward. Even I know how to form a box in card stock.

Now, to dig up those plans I mentioned! I will do a Google search, too, as suggested.idea1

Best wishes from a very wet place at the moment,

Richard

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This Waco has everything you need to make a paper model from scratch. ;)

WACO-YKC-Plan.jpg