Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 44° and clear. The high should be around 70° and it will be partly cloudy.

Made my trip to DeRidder yesterday to turn in my defective shoe for repair. It'll be ready in a week. I also dropped in on the Wal-Mart there and picked up several of the 1/87 Hot Wheels cars as they were on sale for $1 each. I got a Mustang GT, a Bone Shaker and a VW Beetle (old). One will be featured each day for the remainder of this week in my photo at the end of my morning post, starting today with the VW Beetle. Upon getting back home I joined my parents for dinner, chicken pie with creamed corn, cabbage and home fries with cornbread to top it off. I'll be working with my father this morning to get a bunch of pine straw picked up and put onto the burn pile. It needs a good burn. Maybe this afternoon I can get back to the observation car. I need to cut the holes in which to place the cargo doors.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/4/2009

Wind Chill: 41°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 46°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SE

Today High: 72 Partly cloudy. Warmer. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 55 Partly cloudy. Warmer. Lows in the mid 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0574-1.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Howdy
Sunny and thirtys today. Just returned from local train store with the new Lionel catalog. I saw the store copy last week, but this one is mine to have and to hold. No purchase today. SJ.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 55 and clear heading for a high in the upper 70's. It will be partly cloudy.

Did quite a bit of work outside yesterday and old Murphy was in good form. My father and I were cleaning up pine straw and debris from the lower part of his property during the later part of the morning after it had warmed up a bit. He had the older tractor already started and warmed up when I got there so we set right to work. After about three hours work we decided to take a break. I shut the tractor down for a little while but when I went back to start it the engine wouldn't fire. We checked the carburetor, distributer, wires and plugs. Nothing wrong there. It was getting plenty of gas, but it just wouldn't start. We went to start the new tractor and found it's gas tank was dry. We filled the tank and tried starting it but it wouldn't start. It was obvious it would have to be primed. Looking at the way the fuel system is designed we quickly realized that we would have to take a bunch of stuff off in order to prime it. I got to thinking about that and told my father I'd be right back. I went into the shop and came back with a spray can of parts cleaner. He looked at me with a puzzled expression and said 'We're trying to get it started, not clean it'. I pointed out a line on the label and he saw the light. 'FLAMMABLE'. I sprayed some into the intake while he cranked it and it kicked right over. We got the rest of the work done then went back to see if we could start the old one started again when we both noticed a wire hanging free beneath it. The PTO safety had vibrated loose. After it was reconnected the engine kicked right over. Because of all that I got back home over an hour later than I had planned. I hate Murphy!

Gotta go see the foot doc this morning so he can poke and prod my feet some more. He won't be happy that I'm having to wear one of the old walking braces while the shoe for that foot is being repaired but it can't be helped. It's not like I can just buy shoes off the rack.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/5/2009

Wind Chill: 53°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 54°F

So Far Today
High: 56°F
Low: 54°F
Gust: 8mph SSE

Today High: 78 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0576-1.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 61° and partly cloudy (broke the clear streak). The high will be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday my soldering gun bit the dust. I had been noticing it was taking longer and longer to heat up no matter how often the tip was cleaned. I was in the middle of installing a decoder when the coils in it popped. To say that it was a bright flash is an understatement as I nearly had a fireball on my hands. I quickly pulled the plug and tossed it in the sink. A quick application of running water took care of the fire. A trip to Lowe's was in order. I picked up a new soldering gun, a power saw attachment for my Dremel and a new tip cleaner. Had a fire dept meeting to attend last night. I wish there was a way I could reclaim two hours of my life. Maybe today I'll have time to cut the openings for the sliding doors on the observation car, IF nothing comes up. Knowing my father he'll probably come up with something. I still have to make the pieces for the foundation surround for the north engine house. The problem with that is that the work has to be done in the middle of the layout so I can only do it when I know I won't be interrupted.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/6/2009

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 59°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 60°F
Gust: 20mph SSW

Today High: 80 Partly cloudy. Highs around 80. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0583.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Howdy, No trains today. 67 Degrees and we spent the day out and about enjoying every minute of it. Of course rain is comong for the weekend...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 63 and mostly cloudy. The high should be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

I received some items in the mail yesterday to use for whatever parts I can get from them. These are an early 60's example of an Athearn GP30, an early model Athearn F dummy B unit and several Athearn freight cars, all of which have varying degrees of damage. A couple of the cars can be fixed rather easy. The other two are basket cases which will be stripped of any usable parts. One, a three dome tank car, will eventually be kitbashed into an on site oil storage tank. The dummy F booster unit has already been weighted and fitted with metal wheels (from the GP30). The GP30 chassis has been completely stripped. The motor is a hopeless cause. My test meter gets a direct short across the poles. The metal truck side frames will look good in a junk scene and I'm sure I have a GP35 chassis around here somewhere that I can fit the body shell to. One of the better cars is a PFE express reefer which needs some minor repair. A couple of hatch covers and a Kadee coupler box and it will be back in service. The other car is a SF 40' boxcar that requires only a door and Kadee couplers. All the cars have sprung trucks. Last but not least is an AT&SF light up caboose. It's missing a critical part and shorts out. It too has sprung trucks. All units have body mounted coupler boxes.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/7/2009

Wind Chill: 62°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.01"
Gust: 9mph S

Today High: 82 Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0586.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Rain today, don't have to shovel ran. May be a good day to run some trains as I have no plans other than looking out the window...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 67 and cloudy. The high should be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

Spent about an hour yesterday working on what on some other forums is universally being called the GD30J. This was mostly to get the GP30 body seated firmly on it's new 6 axle frame. Being I'm not sure if the frame is from Kato or Atlas I would say this is now an Athelas GD30J or a Kathearn GD30J or just some kind of kit bashed conglameration that up to now had been residing somewhere in the dark recesses of the back of my mind. I wouldn't mind having better side frames for it but as somebody once said you're stuck with what you've got. Much of the middle of the day was spent mowing my parents yard. My father got a new battery for the old tractor since I prefer using it over the new one. It's a simple question of math. A machine with a 60" cut gets the job done faster than one with a 46" cut, even if the smaller one can get into a few more places. Maybe soon I'll have time to work on some other projects.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/8/2009

Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 66°F
Gust: 23mph NNE

Today High: 82 Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

DSCN0603.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good Morning
I think this caboose is just about at the end of it's run. Forty and rain since yesterday. Looks like all day today too. Going to a small train show soon but I don't expect to find anything I just have to have. Enjoy your sunday,,S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
A project I was working on today was an old severly damaged Athearn caboose sent to me along with some other damaged cars and an old GP30 locomotive. The caboose was missing most of it's steps, an entire observation deck, all railings and ladders and the frame was cracked. Here it is after being run through my rebuild shop.

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0628-1.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 66 and mostly cloudy. The high today should be around 80 and it will be partly cloudy.

I have an appointment for a physical this morning then I have to mow my sisters yard later. Somethings busted on her mower. Yesterday I constructed the salvaged cargo (wood boxcar) doors and lower rails for the MoW observation car. I need to install the top rails and guards to the bottom of the roof line. I could have done that yesterday except I couldn't find my drill bits. I'll have to drop by Lowe's today and pick up a new set. The main project yesterday was to rebuild an old Athearn caboose. The body was OK but the rest was a total loss. I trimmed the body a little and fitted it to a Bachmann wide vision caboose frame. Problem with that was the Bachmann ladders were no good for the new body. I fitted a couple of metal Athearn ladders and the rebuild was almost done. I need to install a chimney pipe but I have to drill out the old one first.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/9/2009

Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 67°F
Low: 64°F
Gust: 8mph SSW

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0629.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 70 and very cloudy. The high will be around 81 and it will be mostly cloudy.

Work on the new MoW car continues unabated as shown in this photo:
DSCN0639.jpg

After I finish this side I'll start on the other side which will go a little faster as I'll already know exactly what needs to be done. Anybody got any hatch covers for an HO 40' Pacific Fruit Express reefer? If I can't find any I suppose I'll have to scratch build them.

I'll be going to DeRidder this afternoon to pick up my left shoe (turned it in for repair last Tuesday). Called the prosthetics office yesterday and they indicated it's ready. Doctors appointment yesterday went quite well. He couldn't find any signs of infection in my right leg. There's still a danger though that it could have moved into the bones as a bone density scan revealed some abnormality. He thinks it could be a false positive as previously broken bones can cause them on BD scans and some of the bones in my right foot have been broken numerous times (more than I care to remember). He's scheduled me for an MRI on the 17th to make certain. Also yesterday I mowed my sisters yard as her mower is deadlined at this time. Afterwards I helped her move some things inside the house and install a couple of blinds. Today I think I'll be taking it easy.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/10/2009

Wind Chill: 70°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 69°F
Gust: 20mph SSW

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

DSCN0618.jpg

Sirfoldalot

Jan 17, 2009
Temecula,CA
Good Morning all .... It's 36 degrees at the moment but expected to get into the mid 60's today. No Rain in the forcast. Would appear that we may have had most of our "rainey season". Has been a little cool (for here) the last few days but I cannot complain after living in the mid-west most of my life. Have been doing some yard work and getting ready to put in some tomato plants. Last year my tomatoes did not do well at all. Think I may have put them in a little late, or, maybe it was because my puppy dog pulled them out of the ground a couple times before she learned not to do that.
Got busy posting pic on the Frisco Forum so have been hanging out there quite a bit lately. Still want to post more pic there.
Everyone have a good day !!:thumb:

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good Morning, raining again and going to the 40s. Did some train runs yesterday but not sure about today,yet. TTFN...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 67 and cloudy. The high will be around 65 and there's a chance of thunderstorms.

There's some good news today. Yesterday I got my left shoe back from doc's office. It feels a lot better on my foot than that old walking brace I was having to wear and is a lot less trouble to put on too. I worked on the MoW car project into the late hours last night and it's finally finished. In other news, I fitted my Chattahoochee hopper with all-metal sprung trucks. A 40' PFE reefer is almost ready. It lacks two roof hatches which I understand from an email I just read are on their way. Later today I'll be fitting a new smoke stack to my newly rebuilt Athearn caboose. I have also rebuilt a 1960's vintage Athearn F unit dummy loco and fitted it with metal wheels and Kadee couplers and it is now coupled to my GD30J.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/11/2009

Wind Chill: 67°F
Humidity: 99%
Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
High: 67°F
Low: 64°F
Gust: 9mph S

Today High: 65 Patchy fog in the morning. Partly cloudy early in the morning...then a 50 percent chance of showers in the morning. Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the 60s to upper 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning becoming northeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 48 Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the late evening and overnight. Cooler. Lows in the upper 40s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

DSCN0628-1.jpg

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Howdy, went to the train store and checked out the last Lionel shipment and picked up my Sager Place obs. car. John Bull set is nice but to many$$$ to suit me..S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning. I hope everybody has a good Friday the 13th.

It's 41 here and decidedly wet. The high should be in the mid 50's with still more rain coming down.

Yesterday I installed some old Athearn metal sprung trucks on a Bachmann tank car that will be coupled on behind a 250 ton crane that will be sitting on a spur. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. I had to drill out the hole in each truck so they would fit on the car. On to the next project, whatever it may be. The visit to the foot doc went well. He likes what he saw and told me to keep doing what I've been doing. Being today is Friday the 13th I'll just be taking it easy. We have good sleeping weather today. I may just take good advantage of it. The layout extension needs to be cleaned up as well as I've been working on a number of projects lately and have most of them wrapped up.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/13/2009

Wind Chill: 39°F
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 41°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.15"
Rain Rate: 0.08"/h
Gust: 21mph ENE

Through 7 AM...an area of light to moderate rainfall will continue to move northeast at 30 mph across southeast Texas...western and central Louisiana north of us-190. Expect rainfall between a tenth to a quarter inch per hour.

Today High: 55 Rain and isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 50s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Tonight Low: 42 Rain and isolated thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 40s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

DSCN0690.jpg