Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 51 and very wet! The high should be around the mid 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

Just after 2am this morning I was awakened by a racket that sounded like a hail of machine gun bullets on my tin roof. I looked outside to see what was going on and saw that we were having a hail storm. The hail was the size of small marshmallows, about as big as the end of your pinkie finger. This kept up for about 15 minutes. By the time the storm passed there was a layer of hail just over an inch thick on the ground. A little while ago I got another surprise. It seems some of my hints and tips have been appearing in Model Railway Express magazine for some time now. I pulled the site up and dug around a bit and sure enough there they are. It's nice that somebody is making use of them. As of 3:55 am this morning my new Nikon L18 camera was in Alexandria and was last seen heading for Leesville via UPS. I should have it in my hot hands sometime today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/2/2009

Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 48°F

So Far Today
High: 57°F
Low: 51°F
Rain: 0.34"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 33mph N

cond003.gif
Today High: 58 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler. Highs in the upper 50s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

cond002.gif
Tonight Low: 32 Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Image14.jpg

Sirfoldalot

OHHHHH .. I like that KCS hopper.
An old Shreveport person .. I miss the machinegun on the roof. I grew up in a small 4 room house in So Ark. with a tin roof.

jeffrey-wimberl

Tonight my father was telling me about something that happened on Fort Polk last week. The railroad track that runs past the part of the post he works at has a very sharp curve. It's OK for SW's and the geeps but for some reason they were trying to take one of those massive Southern Belle GE's round it. Needless to say it didn't make it. The rails broke loose from the ties and the loco hit the dirt. It took the better part of a day to get it out of there.

Sirfoldalot

That must have been interesting to see. Wonder what trouble the crew got into for that?

How do you get the lower part of your posts to show up?
I am new to all this

jeffrey-wimberl

You mean the signature line? Go to the top of the page and click on USER CP. Scroll down and click EDIT SIGNATURE. Get your sig line to look the way you want it then scroll down and click SAVE. Go back to USER CP and click EDIT OPTIONS. Scroll down unitil you see three check boxes. The top one will say SHOW SIGNATURES. Check the ones you want to show up then scroll down and click SAVE. That's all there is to it.

I think I've got the hang of this camera now. I was experimenting with close-ups and decided to see just how close I could get.

DSCN0132.jpg

Now a close-up on the UP shield on the cab.

DSCN0135.jpg

How's this for up close and personal?

DSCN0124.jpg

Anybody notice that neither of these UP units are numbered? That means I can have some numbering fun.

Sirfoldalot

WOW --- that is pretty remarkable closeups.
I am impressed
Thanks for your help on the signature line .. I will try and see what I can do.

Hi-railin High-pockets

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 31 and partly cloudy here. The high is expected to be in the low 60's and it will be partly cloudy.

Didn't find any damage yesterday from the early morning hail storm. As most are aware of by now my new camera came in yesterday as did a new 128 MB SM card for my Olympus D550. I was getting really tired of card errors popping up on that old 64 MB card I was using. If I have time today I'll do a step by step of the tear down and weighting of the dummy UP GP40. But first I have to keep a promise to a friend and send him a certain SP gondola I have in my possession.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/3/2009

Wind Chill: 30°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 28°F

So Far Today
High: 35°F
Low: 30°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 0mph NNE

cond026.gif
Today High: 62 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

cond002.gif
Tonight Low: 30 Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows around 30. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

DSCN0091.jpg

John Baker

Ah-ha!
Now there's a thing.
The pot has been shut/locked down and this one is playing up and keeps forgetting my log in .
We got nearly 6" of snow yesterday and the country is screwwed, we are not equipped for dealing with the kind of weather you guys up Nawth get.
The last time we had more than a foot of the stuff was 1947 and they tried fixing a jet engine to a frieght car, it shifted the snow alright, it also shifted the ballast:-?wall1

Sirfoldalot

Oh My - Another day with no snow in the forcast.
What's a body to do except enjoy it.
Thanks for the help Jeffery:mrgreen:

Current Conditions
subBlue-right.gif
Rolen's Station at Temecula Creek, Temecula, California (PWS)
Updated: 3 sec ago
clear.gif
53.2 °F / 11 °C
Clear
Humidity:38%Dew Point:27 °F / -3 °C Wind:3.0 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SW
Wind Gust:4.0 mph / 6 km/hPressure:30.05 in / 1017.5 hPa (Steady) Visibility:10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers UV:0.9 out of 16Clouds:Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation:1142 ft / 348 m

Sirfoldalot

Warmed up today very nicely after all.
Looks like "old" Ezra's enjoying the day as well.

Current Conditions
headerBlue-right.gif
subBlue-left.gif
subBlue-right.gif

Rolen's Station at Temecula Creek, Temecula, California (PWS)
Updated: 23 sec ago
clear.gif
81.8 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity:13%Dew Point:26 °F / -3 °C Wind:2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust:6.0 mph / 9 km/hPressure:29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Falling) Heat Index:79 °F / 26 °C Visibility:10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers UV:1.8 out of 16Clouds:Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation

sir james

Good Evening,
John, your London snow was reported in our local paper with pictures. 25 and sunny here today but colder tomorrow then warming up some. Ran some errands today so no trains. Enjoy your tomorrow...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's a balmy 33F and it's partly cloudy. The high should be in the low 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I got the dummy UP GP40 apart and weighted it with modeling clay. The nice thing about this stuff is that it never dries out so it stays heavy. The loco started off at 1.5 ounces and now weighs 5.5 ounces. If I need more weight later I can throw in some lead. Today I'll try and get to work on the engine house project. Had to take my father's pickup in for work yesterday. It needed new shocks all the way around and the windshield wiper motor was shorted out. It was ready several hours later and passed the safety inspection with flying colors. How is this train related? I use this truck to haul in old railroad ties when I can find them.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/4/2009

Wind Chill: 26°F
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 11°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 33°F
Gust: 18mph ENE

Today High: 52 Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 28 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 20s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

DSCN0173.jpg

sir james

Cold and sunny today at 15 degrees, down to-2 tonite. then its suppose to warm up fpr awhile. I did a little fussin with the trains today but no big news..S.J.

Sirfoldalot

Well it's been another beautiful day here. 4:30 pm PST
Jeffrey - that's not Ezra - who is that, and is he "spanking the mule", or just taking a pee.
I know why you had to replace the shocks on the p/u. Hauling all them RR ties. Be careful .. I almost ruined my back 40 years ago moving ties and building a retaining wall .. got one that was real solid and heavy.

Wine Country, Temecula, California (PWS)
Updated: 58 sec ago
clear.gif
73.5 °F / 23.1 °C
Clear
Humidity:21%Dew Point:31 °F / -0 °C Wind:3.3 mph / 5.3 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the SW
Wind Gust:4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h Pressure:28.53 in / 966.0 hPa (Steady) Heat Index:76 °F / 24 °C Visibility:10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers UV:1 out of 16Clouds:Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation:1450 ft / 441 m

jeffrey-wimberl

Jeffrey - that's not Ezra - who is that, and is he "spanking the mule", or just taking a pee.
I know why you had to replace the shocks on the p/u. Hauling all them RR ties. Be careful .. I almost ruined my back 40 years ago moving ties and building a retaining wall .. got one that was real solid and heavy.
He was supposed to have a cane in hand. It got broke off and I don't know where it is. I hear ya on the back trouble. Mine's been messed up for years. I use a tractor to drag the ties off the truck and get them to where I need them.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 30 and clear. The high is expected to be around 60 and it will be partly cloudy.
sun2.gif

I got the track laid into the engine house yesterday, finally. Now I have to find a place to put the Walther's Lakeside Shipping building. I also need to start to work on the foundation for the aforementioned engine house. Yesterday I worked out a method to get really sharp colse-up photos. It involves combining the scene and macro functions with a close zoom in a way NOT covered in the manual. With this I could take a picture of a grain of sand and it would look like a boulder. Gotta go see the foot doc tomorrow morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/5/2009

Wind Chill: 28°F
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 21°F

So Far Today
High: 34°F
Low: 31°F
Gust: 6mph ESE

Hard freeze warning in effect until 8 AM cst this morning.

Today High: 60 Partly cloudy. Highs around 60. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 40 Partly cloudy. Lows around 40. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

DSCN0357.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Scratch another project off the list. I got the hedge in place around the park. The hedge is made from strips of dark blue furnace filter material that's been spray painted spruce green and covered with a thick layer of green blended turf. It's held in place by wood pegs.

P2050022.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg