Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VII

hickstmj

Marcie
Thank you to everyone for the congrats. I haven't bought him a train yet but I have been looking. I have recorded 26 episodes of Thomas for him though.

David - yes I told about the Wales West campground. We did go there & enjoyed it immensely although we had to cut our visit short because of an approaching hurricane. We got to ride up front in the steam engine. The owners love trains. It is a very nice campground.
Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park is located in Niceville, FL - it is very nice for a state park (no wifi nor sewer hookups).

sir james

Good evening all,A so so day, sunny and windy, put some holiday stuff away and had a short nap. No trains ran but I did visit them today while putting the christmas train away. Enjoy your weekend...S.J.

jefelectric

SJ, Thanks for the reminder, I have to put my North Pole Central away for the season.

Grandson and I started on his HO layout today. Got most of the bench work up, need to finish that and put on the OSB and homasote tomorrow.

To close on a bright note, if you didn't notice the DOW was up 258 and closed at 9034. Good start for the new year.

jeffrey-wimberl

I got a box in the mail this morning from Columbus Georgia. It contained five freight cars. Three reefers (2 Tyco, BN and ATSF, both with body mounted Kadee couplers and one Athearn, Seaboard) and two gondolas (1 ROCO, SP and 1 AHM, P&LE, both with body mounted Kadee couplers).

Pooh Bah
Thank you Marcie.
Today was Christmas cleanup day, although my family think they should stay up until 12th Night.
Dayle's diary says that last year we took down and did a housecleaning as well. Polar Express is downstairs but not yet re-boxed.

CSXect

Good evening,

was sunny and 40 here.

Eat some butternut squash tasted very much like yams and sweet potatoes :?
I think I will grow Butternut squash this year had little luck with eggplant and zucchini, the only squash I have grow for me was a kushal(sp) they are large and the vine will take over the yard realy fast and the taste awful. It is what I call a hillbilly vegetable and has an acquired taste :cry:

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 69 and cloudy. The high should be in the mid 70's with a chance of thunderstorms.

Spent part of yesterday doing a little work on some freight cars I received in the mail. Nothing major, just loosen a screw here, adjust the height of a coupler there. Today I'll be getting grocery shopping done and do some general work around the trailer picking up things here and there.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/3/2009

Wind Chill: 69°F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 69°F
Low: 66°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 18mph SSW

Today High: 72 Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some thunderstorms may be severe. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 58 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

P1010753.jpg

sir james

Howdy, sunny and 31 today. A lot of things I could have done today, but didn't. so basicly I'm just checkin in and the trains are running fine....S.J.

jefelectric

We worked on the grandson's layout today. Here are a few progress pictures.

ry%3D480

Framing is complete except for access hatch.

ry%3D480

Grandson sawing access hatch opening in the OSB layer.

ry%3D480

Finishing up the OSB.

ry%3D480

Finishing up the homasote layer and the support leg in front has been added.

Have to finalize the track plan and then ready to lay track.

Keeping the first one simple, all on one layer. Using Scenic express grass mat and Atlas flex on painted cork. Can get fancy later if he wants to put in more effort such as ballast and scenery.

The room is an odd shape, 6' 6" wide at the back, 7' 7" wide at the front of the layout and the layout is 8' 6" deep. Hatch opening is 30-1/2' X 21". Height is 43-1/4" to the top. Nice height for working under and viewing.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning from Sundown Louisiana.

It's currently 68 and cloudy. The high will be in the mid 70's and there is a chance of rain.

Didn't get much done yesterday. I started work on rerouting some layout wiring that was displaced by the installation of the new heater last week and I had to repair a leaking water line outside the trailer yesterday. That's almost as much fun as teaching brain surgery via long distance telephone call with constant service disruptions.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/4/2009

Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 66°F
Gust: 7mph SSW

Isolated light showers moving northeast at 15 mph can be expected over the inland region and over the near coastal waters west of Marsh Island. Trace amounts of rain will accompany these showers.

Today High: 75 Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tonight Low: 45 Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the evening...then a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Cooler. Lows in the mid 40s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

IMAG0004.jpg

John looks like a great start for a layout when did you say you were coming thru Columbia, S.C.?:mrgreen:

Just kidding but thats what I need to do once I kick the plants out come spring I'm going to get the light sky blue for the walls then the bench work will start. I'll probally put legs at the ends also as to make sure with my weight lol. I'll also need one in the middle of each cross board (2X4) mine is going to be basicly 8'9"X 11' with a 3' section as you come into the room cut out of the 11' side but 4' deep into the 8'9" side. ( door entrance and closet door in that area. ) I still should be able to do what I want it will be a kinda L shape. I'am hoping for 2 loops with a 3rd engine on a siding on the inner loop and they switch turns running. not a lot of buildings but guess I will finally have to build my 3 Trailors and put them out there for my trailor park. I'm also thinking building shelves on the one wall as you come in the door ( about 8' long) to display trains on.

jefelectric

RT, Sounds like a good plan. Saw a system for doing background on one of the forums, not sure which one. Fellow painted the blue walls and then used a stencil and white & gray spray paint to do the clouds. Looked real good. Basically did the clouds in white and then just a touch of gray along the bottoms. Would have tried it but my son didn't want the walls painted. If we do background will have to use printed paper and attach with thumb tacks.

sir james

Good Evening Nice table and best of all, you made it high enough to work under in comfort. We had an overcast day of 36 degrees and I am happy to say we did not get the early morning ice that was predicted. No train ran here today, just lazy I guess. Mondays on its way so get ready...S.J.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

It's 50 and there's a light fog out here by the lake. The high today will be 50 and there's a good chance of rain.

Didn't do much yesterday. Watched some movies (only have a couple thousand) and checked the wiring of my control panel in an attempt to find a short that's preventing one of my turnouts from operating. Fortunately it's not a critical turnout. The next step will be to go under the layout and search for the short. I'll have to start at the turnout and work back toward the panel. The odds-on bet is that when the control panel was moved to make room for the new heater a couple of wires got pulled enough to expose and cross them. That remains to be seen.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/5/2009

Wind Chill: 47°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 50°F

So Far Today
High: 52°F
Low: 50°F
Gust: 16mph NNE

Today High: 50 A chance of rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Much cooler. Highs around 50. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 40 Rain likely in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Lows around 40. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

P1010037-1.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 39 F as I headed back to work after a long 4 day weekend. High today will be 48 F. According to the weather guessers we have a wintry mix coming tomorrow. I guess this will set off the usual bread and milk panic.

It has been busy since New Years. We attended the Philadelphia Mummers Fancy Brigades Show on New Year’s Day. It was a lot of fun to see the brigades in full costumes and with all their props. Saturday we froze as we attended a Boy Scout Winter Survival encampment. My son’s Webelos Den had to attend to meet one of their Arrow of Light requirements. We did not sleepover but we participated in the skills events.

We are going through some trauma at the moment. My son’s dove is currently in the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital since Saturday. She was brought to their ER on Friday because she suddenly got quiet and threw-up. Somehow she got a hold of string and swallowed it. The string got tied around the back of her tongue. They were able to remove it and we are hoping she can come home today. Needless to say my son has been upset most of the weekend.

On the modeling front, I cleaned off and straighten the workbench. I also assembled an Accurail Virginian outside braced wood boxcar. I almost finished an L&NE version. I plan on building a Northern Pacific, New Central, and another L&NE car. Once these are done I will have ten cars to weather.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Cloudy and warm. Town Board tonight.
Well, got to look back some. John, great job on getting started on that layout. Glad to see a young guy doing such.
Have a great week all.