Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
GOOD MORNING
Bright sun but 28 going to 40s,expecting rain by tonite,probably same rain thats heading for Tom.
Kurt good idea running the wires through the frame instead of under it. I didn't think to do that, ran the wires through wire shower curtain hooks, I guess thats what they are called. I did a bad job,got wires running everywhere underneath. Then theres 25+ years of add ons and changes. A mess.
Brutus, I waited up for you,heard you guys come in right after I hit the sheets. thanks for cleaning up before you left. A good day to all,,,S.J.

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
Kurt, I think you will like the baby trainmaster...neat engine and with TMCC, it will be great for switching, etc. The Lackawanna set could put a bunch of cars, but if you don't have the room, kind of a waste.

Going into the low 80s here in beautiful SW Georgia. Only problem is that the skeeters are already out and the pollen from the pine trees makes everything a bright yellow/green.

Chuck, I see the dining car has left the station! You'll have to stop off at the next stop and pick something up from the vending machines.

As for fixing the rat's nest under the layout, I have velcro strips with the two sided style. Just wrap it around the wire bundles and if you need to work on any, or add wires, just unwrap and then re-wrap when done. It does require that you label the wire runs so it is easy to identify later.

Hope everyone has a blessed day.
Dennis

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's a foggy morning here in central Louisiana with a current temperature of 64 degrees, expecting a high of 80 later today under a partly cloudy sky.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/3/2008

Wind Chill: 65°F
Humidity: 99%
Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 63°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph NNE

*** FLOOD WARNING ***
The Flood Warning Continues For The Sabine River Near Bon Weir. * Until Further Notice...Or Until The Warning Is Cancelled. * At 8:15 PM Wednesday The Stage Was 31.7 Feet. * Minor Flooding Is Occurring And Moderate Flooding Is Forecast. * Flood Stage Is 30.0 Feet. * Forecast...The River Will Continue Rising To Near 33.0 Feet By Friday Early Afternoon And Remain Steady. * At Stages Near 33.0 Feet, Moderate Lowland Flooding Will Occur. Low-Lying Roads And A Few Homes Have Some Flooding Between Bon Weir And Merryville. Camp Houses Along The River In Southwest Vernon Parish Begin To Flood.

Today High: 82 Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

P1010007-18.jpg

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Kurt, I think you will like the baby trainmaster...neat engine and with TMCC, it will be great for switching, etc. The Lackawanna set could put a bunch of cars, but if you don't have the room, kind of a waste.

Dennis: I was looking into the Baby FM because it was smaller...I don't have the room, but I do like switching. I'm expecting this to be about the size of a PW Geep.?

I need to keep up appearances on the wiring side...Don set the bar pretty high.

Kurt

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning all. Suppose to rain here???? Got lunch with lady who want to do movies in the park. Big blowup screen and nice sound system. We did Polar Express in the late fall. Great success. Tom P, make sure Buckeye picks up the tab. He always makes me pay. Says, "You are on expenses." :curse: Hope all have a great day. Got an engine [older but LN NS SD80 being delivered today per UPS] that I had bargined for over a month and a half ago. Never heard a word from the guy after we talked. Thought he backed out. So took LAZ up on the CN engine deal [which I am glad I did as great running engine]. Now he calls last week and wants me to send money. So I lived up to my end of the deal. Runs funds short for rest of the month. Later

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
Kurt, It is a little bigger than a PW geep. I'd say between a Geep and a PW FM Trainmaster. It is scale, so over all, the dimmensions are a little bigger, but not by that much. I don't have it and one of my PW Geeps out for comparison right now, but just from memory. Mine is the Jersey Central one that has command and magnatraction and several other features. It is pretty heavy and pulls well.:thumb: Also, if you need exact dimmensions, I believe they have them on the Lionel site as the NYC H16-44 is the same size, that should fill you in.

Wife just paged me, the carpets are done, but spot where dog had an accident did not come completely clean. I will try Hydrogen Peroxide on it when I get home. I did the food shopping last night for this weekend. Made SWMBO very happy as I also cooked shrimp and brought home Sushi for the two of us (kids only go for the shrimp). Make the wife happy and you are allowed to be happy:twisted:

Chief, if you need me to send some funds to cover, no problem. You have certainly been more than generous to me and many others.

Hope all have a great day.
dennis

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Thanks Dennis, I'm covered. Not going to York. Sorry. The CT co-payment took that trip. Got big Mayor's meeting on Friday and big Roseyville parade that Saturday. Would be the first time in history of parade that Mayor was not in front of parade. Really ahd wanted to go but funds would be limited on buying. Maybe later in summer, drive up and visit Brent and whoever could stop by. Really had a plan to GRITS the whole bunch. Was going to buy boxes of Cream of Wheat. Carefully open them, dump contents, fill with GRITS and reseal. Hand them out to the Yanks. OH WELL.

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
I like that idea Chief. As to York, never been. Perhaps we can arrange for the next one....a southern invasion the likes of which have not been seen since the 1860s....this time, we will be victorious!
dennis

Jonadel

Nov 16, 2007
Iowa
Looks like one more soggy and chilly day here. The rumor is, spring might show up Friday & Saturday with temps going into the high 60's, I sure hope so.

I did pick up a new trailer yesterday, 6'4" x 12' with ramp. We will use it in June to trail the bikes to Colorado for 5 days of riding in June, really looking forward to that trip. I've spent over 50 years vacationing in Colorado and every time we go I see something even more beautiful, never boring.... except for the trip through Nebraska wall1 We will drop off the boss at her sister's place in Denver and then Ryan and I will take off for 5 days of heaven on earth. When I got the trailer home I moved it by hand about 15', I won't do that again :cry:, the trailer I traded in was 5 x 9 with a significant weight difference. One of my hopes is to get down to Durango and do some serious photography on the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge steamers. Buckeye has been there also and can share his stories, for those of you who are looking for fantastic family vacations consider the Durango/Silverton and the Cumbres/Toltec train trips, best money you can spend. For you east coast folks, fly into Denver and rent a car. In my opinion Colorado is just about the perfect family vacation, it has everything.

Enough rambling, time to attack the day's errands :mrgreen:

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Morning all. Nothing apparently wrong with the van when I bought it in this morning. I still think it is gulping gas - so I'm going to track that more closely. Beginning to cloud over with Jon's Iowa rain on the way. Never been to Colorado. Sounds nice. Does a Baby Trainmaster work on 027 curves?

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Good afternoon,

Well I got my onions planted this morning, can't let the Chief get to far ahead of me. :mrgreen:

Chief, Sorry to hear that you will not be joining us at York this time around. Maybe in the Fall?

RT, Sounds like you are almost there. Good Luck.

Jon, I agree it is a very nice state. My youngest lives there and we have visited 3 times so far with the next visit scheduled for 2009. We have done the D&S and I would like to do the C&T next time, but probably wont get the wife on board as she was not happy with the other trip. :eek: Doesn't like the heights and drop offs. Have you ever visited Mesa Verde, not far from Durango and well worth a visit. Also a lot of smaller historic sites in the area. Daughter has taken us to a lot of beautiful public sites that are little known and seldom visited by the general public.

Temp went down to 27 last night, hope that is the end of that stuff. Sunny this morning but Sun has now disappeared and it is cloudy and cool. Jeffrey, your weather sounds more to my liking. :thumb:

Doug, The catalog says 031 for the Baby Trainmaster, that doesn't always mean it won't work though.

Edited:
I forgot to mention that Saturday is the first day of the season for the TCA Museum. Place was a bee hive of activity yesterday getting ready. Open weekends only in April then full time till Fall. Also open during York in April. If you plan a visit, check the web site for hours.

A great weekend to everyone.

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Afternoon!

Not much going on today...Feeling out of it...I have a cold; sore throat, sinuses. I think the kids have it too. Try to get outside and get some yardwork done. Mid 50's and sunny.

Looks like Doug has the bug...Doug...2-words...Used CAB-1's. :mrgreen: Spend the $$ on a nice engine!

Kurt

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Oh, Kurt - hope you feel better soon! Doug, did they change the idle on your van or something? Dennis - sushi is pretty good, I had that once on a trip to DC. Sorry to hear about your CT/trip, Chief.... Maybe next time? I have the days scheduled off work for the Fall, but will have to wait and see what happens with the kids for a sitter this Summer. Jon, what you need is a small switcher engine for your driveway? Maybe something with a John Deer logo on it?

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
Evening all. Jon, I have been to Colorado a number of times. Most years, I go Elk and Bear hunting. Have very good friends that own a Title company in Durango. Have been wanting to visit for some time now, but schedule hasn't worked out. They fly into New Mexico and drive up. I have also been to Denver...they have a fantastic Natural History Museum. If you have a full day, it is well worth it. I also need to take the DS train.

Did more work at home than at work today. Still have some more to do, but I hurt my thumb. Fortunately, it is not my dominant hand.
Hope everyone has a good one.
God Bless,
Dennis

Tom....Sorry about work getting in the way of lunch and train fun. wall1

Three hundred miles today, more tomorrow.

Did you hear that the most popular sports in the country are:

Pro Football
Major League Baseball
NASCAR
College Football
NHL Hockey

I find it interesting that the Chief's favorite sport, cow-chip tossing did not make the listing of the top five.

Good night, sleep tight.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Apparently I'm in trouble for watching Blades of Glory with the kids? Daddy Daycare is closed for the day - lol.

Dennis, hope thumb is better soon. Sir James, coming over? Maybe I'll just head to your house - it's a nice night for a drive, since the rain stopped for a minute....

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
EVENING
Brutus-come on over,bring Doug, but leave Kurt home if he is sick. Got lots of banilla,chips and peanut butter for Chewy. Its suppose to rain here tonite but not yet. Temp. is 46, went to 50s today. Ran trains while wife cleaned. Did my part,stayed out of the way. TTFN....S.J.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Hello Everyone. Well today was a good day. It just started to rain a few hours ago. Me and my girlfriend spent the other day getting more things done in the babies room. Not to much longer and she will be here. Getting more and more excited as the days go by. I have been trying to do a few things here and there with my trains but just can't seem to get things done right now. Well hope everyone had a good day.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
You guessed it. Yes I was. Got in late from a public hearing on an airport in town next to us. Fixed dinner. Watched news and weather and jsut woke up. Wife been asleep all the time. Deputy was next door around 9 PM as I took garbage cart to street. Beeped Frankie who is working. Said guy next door keeps calling some 800 number and saying he is going to kill himself. Thought something was up as he runs when I come outside. Last week he was being my buddy [especially after I fixed up his garden]. Hope he gets back on track. Nice rain this evening. More tomorrow PM and into Saturday. Off to bed. BTW: got the used [LN] NS SD80 [scale size]. It runs great and etc.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's a very pleasant 72 degrees here under a cloudy sky. We're expecting a high of 74 today with a good chance of a thunderstorm or two this afternoon.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/4/2008

Heat Index: 76°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 18mph S

Through 9 AM...isolated showers will continue to develop and move northeast at 30 mph across southeast Texas and west central Louisiana. Rainfall will be less than a tenth of an inch due to the fast movement. Expect activity to gradually increase later this morning...expecially into the afternoon.

Rest Of Today High: 78 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 52 Mostly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Cooler. Lows in the lower 50s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

P9100369.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.