Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpolak

Chief: Had our carpets cleaned last week...nothing but rain following...Kinda like waxing your car.

More rain here.

Kurt

cnw1995

Morning all. Snowing and sleeting here - what should it be called? Sn-eet? Left early today to make it to the station - rail travel sure is nice in bad weather. Smooth, comfortable ride past all the traffic. Then the wet slog across the Loop.

Glad you're on your way back, Brutus. Safe trip home. I'll enjoy hearing about the Welsch narrow gauge.

Congratulations on the trip, Chief. My bride and I are just not cruise-people: Went on one years ago out of HK into the South China Sea. Just ate and read. Felt caged.

John, agreed about the Ambrose book - and I'm a fan of his writing too.

Howdy, Hatter.

Did anyone see that Grand Central Station episode of 'American Experience' on PBS on Monday night? I ran across it by mistake and it was very compelling.

dbaker48

Good Morning!

Made more progress on wiring, only 1 power drop left to do. Hopefully tomorrow.

Train club meeting tonight. I will make a ptch on how we need to proceed for the Kids club. I've probably made to big of a deal out it, have a complete presentation preparred as if I was pitching something for a corporate meeting. Feasibility, Action Plan, Marketing and Advertising, Cost and Material requirements, Resource/Manpower rqmts, facility needs, legal issues, advantages/disadvantages, Action Items, and risks. Will probably overwhelm everyone. We shall see... The primary issue being activie participant involvement from members!!! Not a one man show!
Need to work this week-end, so no train time then. Just the 15 minute evenings for awhile.

Just saw news reports of the storm that went through Tenn, Ark, and KY. Hopefull the death toll doesn't go any higher, 47 people. WOW that's a lot.

Also, notice the Chief is making reservations for York, must be nice! Its one thing always being told how big York is, but then again it is really something when you see it. I still am awed when I think back about the trip I made last year.
Got to get ready for work.

Later

rogerw

Cnw I watched the Grand Central Station thing on PBS. I thought it was very interesting. Pretty amazing when they had to go under ground.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 51 F as I rolled out of the driveway. The high today will be 67 F but we won’t be able to frolic in it since it will be raining. As I look out of the office window it is darker now at 7:45 AM then when I left the house at 6:30 AM.

I finished weathering the wheels for the remaining TOFCs and flat cars. Next is weathering the trucks and then the bodies.

We have Cub Scout Den Meetings tonight. If my wife isn’t better I will be sitting in for her with her den.

I hope everybody has a good day.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/6/2008

Wind Chill: 36°F
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 33°F

So Far Today
High: 56°F
Low: 44°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 25mph WNW

Today High: 55 Mostly sunny. Cooler. Highs in the mid 50s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the lower 30s. Light and variable winds.

P1010004-25.jpg

IMAG0006-1.jpg

cnw1995

Rats. Supposed to get another foot today here in Chicago. May none of you be traveling by air today.

Roger, I loved how they took period photos of GCT and the NYC trains and '3-dimensionalized' them with effects like moving smoke or placement of figures.

dbaker48

Forgot to mention, on my wiring last night I completed 4 of the 5 remaining power drops. RAN OUT OF WIRE AGAIN !!!
icon_smile_shock.gif
icon_smile_sad.gif

However, I found a solution this morning.
icon_smile_approve.gif

There is this long 16 awg extension cord in the living room behind the couch.
icon_smile_whistling.gif
Can't remember the last time the light was turned on, that it goes too. (Some silly lit knick-knack). So I FOUND the wire I need.
icon_smile_approve.gif

5th power drop will be history soon !!!
icon_smile_evil.gif

Go Big1

The rain/sleet/snow mix that we have been getting in Chicago since last night has finally turned into all snow. It's snowing very heavily right now where I work (near O'Hare airport). I was perplexed at how we were still supposed to get a foot of snow in the northern areas of the city, but then I checked the radar. This storm is just sitting and spinning over Chicago. Maybe we will get that foot after all...

CSXect

:wave: wet and warm here in nosno Snohio:shock:

cleaning moms basement mostly my junk found some misc. train stuff that I need to take to my house. Found my old TI-994a and some old basic programming books one for games the other for circuit calculations stuff piles up over the years found some stuff that I will put in yard sale come late spring(mini bike helmet, dart board, and some plastic D&D figures:nope:)

need to post some pics sometime today If i get around to it.

sir james

Howdy,
The rain turned to snow here just before rush hour. All the main streets are snow and car covered. A lot of late suppers tonite in the Detroit area. I ran the new boxcab again today and still not impressed with its performance. It is a nice looking peice though. Think I'll walk to the corner and sell coffee to all those people stuck in traffic. Later All,,,,,Sir James

Brutus and Doug...I have read the book, Nothing Like It In the World by Stephen Ambrose and I really liked it. First the book tells it like it is with the politicians. They would not let the project begin until they had a way to line their own pockets. Then the surveyors, which I'm proud to be one, were in the lead across the wilderness. And then the Chinese were the ones who could build the tunnels.

Interesting day. Meetings started at 7 am. Tomorrow the same. Working on trying to get funding to demolish (can you say dynamite) two abandoned railroad piers.

We hear the Chief is badgering the big city Mayor. He wants them to flood Roseyville. Sounds like a good idea to me. sign1

jefelectric

Good evening all,

It rained here most of the day, cleared up about 3:00 PM and then about 5:30 we had wind, rain, lightning and thunder for about 15 minutes and it was all over. Really weird.

Spent the day at the museum cataloging old photos again. They got in some old copies of MR, from the 50s, I was going to buy a few and forgot. Just like to see some of the old articles. I was buying MR about that time, as I was in HO, when I was in school.

Don, If you don't tell, it may be years before she notices.

Take care,

John

Forgot to mention, on my wiring last night I completed 4 of the 5 remaining power drops. RAN OUT OF WIRE AGAIN !!!
icon_smile_shock.gif
icon_smile_sad.gif

However, I found a solution this morning.
icon_smile_approve.gif

There is this long 16 awg extension cord in the living room behind the couch.
icon_smile_whistling.gif
Can't remember the last time the light was turned on, that it goes too. (Some silly lit knick-knack). So I FOUND the wire I need.
icon_smile_approve.gif

5th power drop will be history soon !!!
icon_smile_evil.gif

Don - I hope your neighbors are keeping their garages locked?

Buckeye - I thought you were supposed to build them - not blow them up!

Started out at 32 today and made it to 55. Nice and sunny!

Prayers for those in the Tennessee state area where the tornados ripped through last night.

Not much to report here - long day (as usual).

dbaker48

John - You're right, I don't think she will ever notice.

Roy - That's a great idea!! They are installing fiber optics in our tract. That will make a whole bunch of telephone wire available!!! (I'm thinking switches here). Then there is the wiring for the garage door openers as well. And best yet DOOR BELL wiring. This could become lucrative. (Will have to watch for alarm wiring though!!!

Tired - going to bed, more tomorrow

Thank goodness it was west and north of us (the worst of the storms) Prayers to those that were effectived by the storms. It was bad ones.

Not to much happening around here. getting ready for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.