Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Reminds me I have to go to the dentist. 'morning from a sunny, windy and cold Crystal Lake - busy so far, watching youngsters while their moms drink coffee and visit, working (a bit), need to fix a clogged sink. Still puzzling how best to fit in a yard. Like Buckeye suggests, I have tried to find a place to park everything I own on the layout itself. Reminds me to run things. But then I have a few tracks that look like dead lines.

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Wow, I've been avoiding visiting my doc who wanted to re-check my borderline chlores. numbers before the holidays - I have to re-try metamucil which Brutus mentioned. This was his non-med solution which I have been ... neglecting. Off to fix the sink! Then correct the middle-boy's math.

Jonadel

Nov 16, 2007
Iowa
Just home from the Windy City, what a great time! We absolutely LOVE visiting Chicago and experiencing everything it has to offer. If you ever have the chance to visit downtown at this time of the year, DO IT! My words and photo's can't describe it. Doug--I think you should model the "El" and The Metra, we rode the El everywhere and did just fine, found some very helpful folks and a few folks that were unique. Sure beats driving into the city and trying to find a place to park or not be intimidated by the cabbies.

Went to the Shedd Aquarium yesterday morning, fantastic. In the afternoon we went to the Broadway Production--- Jersey Boys, if you like Rock 'N Roll where you can recognize a melody (unlike today's fare) and you like Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons order your tickets today. It's his life story and it's one of the best shows we've seen since Wicked and we see a lot of Broadway Shows. The audience was mostly 55 and older and that worried me but let me tell you, every one of them was a teenager again when that show started. I've had our tickets since June, it's that popular. Great place to visit, good to be home again but already looking forward to our next visit.

Jon

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Evening all. Got two packages from a guy in PA. This guy took my CN [custom painted and decaled by me] U36B's and was going to convert them to PS2. Begged to do it. Been three years now. He has had one excuse after another. Well, I got back my shells [filthy], an extra shell for freedon train, old frames [for pulmore motors], one unit with two can motors but no electronics, four can motors, four sets of trucks for the motors, four sets of pilots, other parts but nothing completed. I did get a LN [can't believe it has been boxed new this long] Missouri Pacific ABA E6 by MTH Primier set with PS2. # 20-2260-1 is the number. 2000 catalog vol 2. BIG units. Dual motors in both A units and dummy B. Smoke in both A units. Great rig but I don't do MP. Now I think I can assemble all the parts and get canned motors in frames and the shells will fit. If not, I 've got some new Pullmor motors and trucks I can put under old frames. If I do get them together, I will TMCC and sounds them. Anyone want a massive MP ABA PS2 set?

Why did he send the set? Bet he thought I would send LAZ and in 800lb bear to get him. :thumb::curse::joust1:

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Jon, Sounds like Chicago might be fun. We have walked downtown Chicago during train layovers, but never spent any real time there. Like to visit NYC during the Christmas season, but not planning to this year. Chicago would be a good excuse for a train trip. Maybe next year,

Speaking of Dr. appointments, have a 9:30 with the eye Dr. tomorrow and an afternoon apt. with the Family Doctor. Hope to stop at Cool Trains and pick up a hopper car I had ordered in between. Also want to get some realtrax clips for my grandsons carpet layout around the tree.

Frank53, I agree, there is a need for storage tracks. Wish I had designed my layout with an underlayout staging area. The way I built my bench work makes it very difficult to add one. A lot of the HO guys do this, but they have an advantage in only needing about half the headroom that we do.

Right now the grandson and I are going to unbox my new Atlas 0-6-0.

Back later with comments. :wave:

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Well I'm back and the news is not good. Engine looks great. The sound is much better than expected, BUT it will not move! wall1 When I advance the throttle, the whistle blows :confused:. All the railsounds work. A call to Bob Thatcher in the morning is in order.:cry:

wrmcclellan

Oct 1, 2005
North Texas
Evening all!

Cowboys 27 - Packers 10! (so far)

Watching the game on our new 46" LCD TV. What a great picture! This is the family Christmas gift this year - but we had to go ahead and crank it up for the game tonight!

Chief - so you got back more than you sent this guy? If so - what a great deal!

Jon - we did the same when we were in Chicago for LCCA last summer. Rode the El downtown almost every day. Really convenient although it could be pretty slow as they have a lot of bad track and slow orders.

John F - sorry about your Atlas 060. Hope it is a simple fix! How does it look?

Hope all are doing well!

Regards,
Roy

csxt30

Sep 30, 2005
Well I'm back and the news is not good. Engine looks great. The sound is much better than expected, BUT it will not move! wall1 When I advance the throttle, the whistle blows :confused:. All the railsounds work. A call to Bob Thatcher in the morning is in order.:cry:

John : when mine does that it means the tether fell off again. It doesn't want to stay up in the socket all the time. Mine hits a bump in a switch sometimes or if I pick the thing up, the tether has fallen down again. Mine sounds terrible if you ask me. Plus, smoke unit quit but I got that going again. Let us know what Bob says if you can !
Thanks, John

Nov 17, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
CSXt30 saw a stange thing to me anyway behind a NS train (one engine) about 25 or so cars instead of the red beakin all it had was a red flag attached to the coupler. Is this normal on trains that may have been split to drop some cars off? I'm guessing this is what may have been going on here. not sure though.

csxt30

Sep 30, 2005
RT : yes, that is a normal move here too everyday. Under a certain mile limit or whatever they go by they can do that. Must be just a local like ours. When ours goes the other way though, we give them a marker.
Thanks, John

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Hey John - Sir James and I are running over to Colin's house for icecream. Chewy is itching to go! Be off in a minute! ;-)

Guys, been busy online trying to catch up on a bunch of stuff and then wife took computer for an hour, just because she can ;-) Well, to be fair, it's her laptop.

Jeffrey, very sorry to hear about your charcot foot. I pray you get the very best care! Tom, hope you are feeling better soon too!

We're watching a dvd I picked up for $8 during a 20 percent off sale called It Happened To Jane - Doris Day and the Old 97! Pretty good movie and even has some good train action.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
RT : yes, that is a normal move here too everyday. Under a certain mile limit or whatever they go by they can do that. Must be just a local like all of CSX. When ours goes the other way though, we give them a marker.
Thanks, John
So John, you finally admitted it. :wave:
John, just a little of that sticky black will hold that tether in place. Just don't get it on the pins.

Got early Dr's apt so may not sign on until later in the day. She insists on me coming in before gving me meds. Told her nurse that the cost of gas to go and come would be more than the co-pay. :eek::rolleyes:

Good night. [cough cough]

csxt30

Sep 30, 2005
Chief : don't think the sticky black stuff will hold it up there as it has a lot of downward pressure on it but I'll check. A clamp would work better but not much room.
No wonder the dark side (N&S), only needs a flag, they never run over 10 MPH through here !! sign1

Thanks, John

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow Doug...I had to look that one up. What garden?

Chicago is great this time of year, if you can stand the cold...When I stay with relatives, I like to walk downtown (Michigan Avenue from WaterTower to the River) the day after Christmas. It's fun to see the streets come alive with all the people.

Bride is getting impatient that the houses aren't up and the trains aren't running...She made popcorn in a pot last night the 'old fashioned' way, so I could eat it...3-yo wouldn't eat it...wanted the 'good' popcorn. Microwave theatre butter, something or other...

Wiring and roadwork around the superstreets today.

Kurt

Oct 2, 2005
S.E Ohio
Good Morning...............
It's cold outside. 20 degrees. Going up to a sunny 45, today.
I have some errand running today. Later, I will work on a couple of projects. Maybe run trains.
Outside decorations are finished. Just a few inside to put up. We don't get much company over the Holidays.
Everyone have a nice day,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.