Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw1995

Oct 1, 2005
Crystal Lake, IL
condor.depaul.edu
Rats, that means snow from Iowa on its way. Morning all. Supposed to get absolutely brutally cold this eve and deep into next week - highs in single digits - good basement weather I guess.

Brutus, it's a real dilemma how to paint the inside of this Lemax building - has some 'glass' - I think I'm going to try to focus on creating a 3/4-around kind of shield for the bulb instead. Maybe using tin foil...

Two five-year olds running the layout now as I watch ...:mrgreen:

I made a few lanterns for Thomas' pilot last evening. I would like to figure out a way to be able to move them around according to the train he's pulling. I love thinking about puzzles like this. :thumb:Any ideas? In British operations, the type of train - express, branch passenger, stopping, mineral , stopping freight, etc. - was identified in steam days by placing one to four lanterns around the pilot and smokebox.

L

laz57

Laz, I hope you have better luck then I do with Weaver smoke units. I have a 7 year old 0-8-0 PRR C-1 that hasn't smoked in about 6 years and 11 months. Also have a recently purchased Consolidation that quit smoking about a month after I started running it. Was told to use MTH fluid so I did, that didn't keep it smoking. Think I will stick with MTH steamers in the future.

JOHN, I have the same engine. Won it off ebay for $250. Had problems with the thing shorting out, I couldn't find it sent it to Weavers, just up the road, they found wire off of pickup shorting put engine. Got it back,running it with Legacy all is good. Won't try smoke till pick some up at BARRYs. On Friday? Hope my UP FEF is in?
laz57

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/17/2008

Wind Chill: 50°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph NNE

Rest Of Today High: 55 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 38 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Light and variable winds.

P1010004-18.jpg

dwiemer

Jul 10, 2006
Southwest GA
Jon, You may want to invest in some hand warmers for your ATV. When I go hunting out in Colorado, they make it much more bearable. In real cold weather, you could cause damage to your hands if not kept warm.

Brutus, we have had issues with "City water" where they had it shut down for a day. They highly recommend not drinking the water for a few days. Boil and water for cooking. You also should run the water for awhile to make sure it is clear before washing clothes or dishes, etc. May even want to flush hot water heater...if possible with outside temps (Don't want it to freeze).

Got the Legacy system last night. Not that I have any Legacy engines, but I do have some command engines and a lot of post war, which I hear it is very good at allowing smoothe running. Just about done with wiring and should have trains going soon. It will be nice to have the remote capabilities.
God Bless,
dennis

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Well, Exams finished up today, and I still managed time to finish my CAD drawing of N&W 611, but if it wasn't for that son of a biscuit printer I'd have a copy... Oh well, whatcha gonna do? Now I got 4 days of weekend, and with my birthdaybday2 comming up on Monday, I've already got a birthdaybday2 present: America's Senic Rail Journeys DVD, from my grandparents. Hopefully going to Johnny's Toys for a train clinc on tracklaying, and might get lucky if they have a junk box...:mrgreen:

Cheers!
CNWman

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
Just came in from plowing the driveway of 3 1/2" of beautiful white snow. Our driveway is about 100 yds. of crushed rock with a nice hill, I have an ATV with a blade and I can do the whole thing in less than 45 minutes :thumb: The snow came straight down and is fairly light but oh baby, it is cold. My right thumb, which runs the throttle got so cold I had to stop once and that's with mittens. The worst part is the forecast, wind chills tomorrow night will reach -30 wall1

Good to be inside with a nice cup o' Joe.

Jon

hey ,,,, lets go on a 300 mile bike ride tomorrow!!!!!............. got your wood screws dont ya?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Snow!! We're finally getting abou tan inch of it... When the weatherbabe said we'd get some.. we didn't.. now that she said we wouldn't get any.... we did!! :eek:

It's heavy and wet and here in PA the storm came outta the south.. uhh like from North Carolina... Hmmmmmmm :confused::confused::confused::confused:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Here in South Central PA, it is Winter.

My small garden with hardy rose bushes in the background.

47b8df36b3127cceb38d7ddf823100000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

47b8df36b3127cceb38d7dbf825100000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

Son's farm.

47b8df36b3127cceb38d7da4037a00000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

These were taken just before dark, that is why the lighting is so dim.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Glad you Yanks got snohio. Hope it gets waist dep on all of you. Trying to invade us Rebs. Wife said it was snowing good at 5 AM. Turned to rain and was gone by 6:30 when I got up. Guess we turned the invasion back. :thumb: Now the spies tell us you all may try it again Saturday. :curse:wall1

Ran conventionals with TPC and Legacy remote this afternoon. Runs great.

Now time for Fried Chicken, Turnips and Colards. UMMM Later.

dbaker48

Jul 4, 2006
Cerritos, Ca.
If anyone is interested, there is a real interesting comparison of Legacy, DCS, and TMCC on another forum.

John, I like those pictures. Your sons house and barn look like a post card country scene. (The trucks would need to be moved). How old is that house?

Honestly now, how many times have you steped in the pond on a fresh snow fall, the first time out to the green house??

Thomas left town yesterday, should arrive early next week.

Got to go, make stuff look like I've been working here today.

dbaker48

Jul 4, 2006
Cerritos, Ca.
Good evening,

Chief, Sounds like you need to trade that Legacy in on a DCS setup! :thumb:

Don, Here are some pics of my latest. PRR D-16 and 4 - Wood sided coaches. All MTH of course. (Just said that to agrivate the Chief)

It really runs nice, good sound and smoke.

47b8df34b3127cceb39101f3327c00000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

47b8df34b3127cceb3910618720c00000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

And before I get any comments, Yes those are the Pennsylvania Alps in the background. :rolleyes:

They came with a few passengers, I want to add some more. Have to take one of the coaches apart as one of the female passengers has come unglued. :mrgreen:

JOHN
- I WANT THAT ENGINE - TRAIN !!!! THAT IS TERRIFIC !!!! I'LL BET THE SOUNDS ARE GREAT, ESPECIALLY THE CHATTER.

Chief Eagles (Big Bird) has got to be eating his heart out over that set !!!!!

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Cold but no snow in St. Louis - folks coming in from Illinois to work downtown ran into sleet and a big accident early today though. Glad I live on this side of the river since I work downtown - not a lot of access from IL to St. Louis and if there is an accident it really backs up!

Doug, got a book today and thought of you - it came through Amazon, but actually bought from Powells Book Store in Chicago? I think you go there pretty often from work? It's called Railways Adventure, about a town in Wales (I think) that took over a narrow gauge railway to keep it going! It was referenced from that website you sent me about the Thomas books.

Had a big piece of Digorno's pizza, yummy! Still have some room for icecream, though!

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Oh, my friend who apparently lost his computer access or something had an article published on ogaugewatch, just fyi.

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Don, Don't know the age of the house and barn, but a local man who lived on the next farm up ther road and passed away 2 years ago at 105, told me it was always there in his lifetime. By the way this farmer was born in and lived his whole life in the same house. Not the one in the picture, the next one up the road.

Don, I to love that Engine and set of cars. The rivit counters were all upset when MTH brought out the engine, a D-16, I believe in 2006. There are supposed to be some terrible errors in it. The prototype sits in the PA RR Museum, you may remember seeing it. Anyway it is close enough for me. It is a premier engine and very detailed. It has been siting in the display case at Barry's for quite a while, but I had nothing to pull behind it until MTH brought out these passenger cars.

Doug, do you use the lighting that comes with the Porcelain houses? Most times it is way to bright. I use 12 volt bulbs powered by old computer powe supplies. They give much more realistic lighting and don't shine through the walls, at least not to any extent.

Bldgmvd.jpg

This picture shows the type of socket and lamp that I use, the house has been moved to show the lamp. This installation works great when the lamp opening is in the bottom. When the lamp opening is in the back I use this approach.

BldgwBkLt.jpg

The lamp socket is fastened to a metal knock out closer and that is inserted in the back of the building and holds the lamp in place.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CNW1995: On my OO scale models, I use Woodland Scenics Accent Glue for the class lamps. Put it on the bottom or back of the lamp, let set, then position. Lamp is now removable and can be restuck (for a while). Have you got a list of lamp combos? I now find that they changed a bit over the years.
And the Southern used white disks for route information.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
60103, stop by as you pass through. Had a buddy who died with cancer several years ago. Lived in Perth. Was from Cowansville Quebec. Use to visit him in both locations. Miss going to CA.

John F lives in a beautiful area of PA. If I had to move above the M&D, it would be his area I'd choose. Would bring my GRITS with me. :thumb:

BTW guys: nick named Don B, SPOON. Likes to stir. :yep:

Colards were great. Added wife's sweet pickle relish on top. :thumb: Going to bed early tonight. Good night all.

Status
Not open for further replies.