Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefelectric

John, got the disk today. Thanks so much. I just took in the mail without time to play it yet, will do so when I get home. My wife will want to be there as well. Thanks again, I will keep photos with my progress and share them....and take critique.
dennis

Dennis, Glad to hear you got it. The pictures are not fancy, a lot of them are so I could remember where the wiring tape was after I covered it up with wall paper. One thing I will point out is that I don't always do things in the order the instructions call for it to be done, as you will see, in the instructions. Also remember any painting you can do before assembly is much easier than after.

BTW, my daughter called a few minutes ago to let me know that she took granddaughter to AC Moore's to buy some dishes and silver ware with Christmas money. She told her Mom she wants to get a job so she can buy more dollhouse stuff (she is 6! ;-))

jefelectric

Don, You sounded sruprised when I told you our grass is still green, so here are some pictures to show you what green grass looks like. If it weren't for the stray leaves lying about and the bare trees, it would look like summer. In fact the grass is greener than it was in August.

47b7cc09b3127cceb2cbc15ab63900000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

47b7cc09b3127cceb2cbc657f6af00000027100QYtmrhwzYsU

Chief, I mailed in my seed orders today. Need to get Geraniums started in January. Time flies when you are having fun. Speaking of fun, I finished taking down the Christmas decorations outside this morning and packed everything away except for the one snowman that stays put until winter is over. That is one job that I hate. Don't mind puting them up but hate taking them down. The weather was so nice today that it was the perfect time to do it. 45 degrees at 1:30 and Sunny, almost shirtsleeve weather.

jefelectric

'Morning all. Snowing big here. Just back last night from the east coast - visiting my mom in Conn. Getting too old for these 14+ hr drives, but I still think it's amazing we can just up and go somewhere 1,000 miles away... Thought of everyone at one time or another driving through IN, OH, PA, NJ and NY. Got my first hydrocal kit I hope to share about...

Doug, Did you cross PA on route 80?

kpolak

Don, You sounded sruprised when I told you our grass is still green, so here are some pictures to show you what green grass looks like.

47b7cc09b3127cceb2cbc15ab63900000027100QYtmrhwzYsU
Wow John, you must have a big basement! I've seen photos of your layout and it looks bigger than your house! :rofl:

Welcome back Doug! Glad you had a good trip!

Kurt

Dr. John

John, when we lived in Mobile we built a playhouse for the kids that eventually became our garden shed when the kids grew up. Similar to your shed but not quite as large (or as nice!)

Speaking of shirt-sleeve weather, we're having it here in Prattville today. Still overcast (and most of the state under a tornado watch) but pretty warm. I'm wearing short sleeves today and feels comfortable when I'm outside.

Been playing around with my Garmin GPS. The bride couldn't have picked a better present for me. May purchase the extended antenna to avoid signal loss in valleys, tunnels, under bridges, etc.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan

Been playing around with my Garmin GPS. The bride couldn't have picked a better present for me. May purchase the extended antenna to avoid signal loss in valleys, tunnels, under bridges, etc.

Aren't those things neat? My FIL got me a Tom Tom and we spent the last couple of days playing with it.

We used it yesterday going to the museum where my wife works and we may have found her another route that could save her a few minutes and also an easier left turn onto the main highway.

ozzy

I got it !! The Legacy Arrived !! That's the good news, The bad news is it will probably be a week or so before I try it out. Working on the wiring, and want to get it operational before I introduce another variable.

Got the physical inventory done yesterday at work. Actually completed on time this year. Looking forward to a long weekend. Lots of time to work on layout. Possibly go to train show on Sunday. Later!

Oh yeah, got approval on the El Camino. Will wash and wax this weekend so it is Parade Ready.

El Camino?????? what year?

Dr. John

Aren't those things neat? My FIL got me a Tom Tom and we spent the last couple of days playing with it.

We used it yesterday going to the museum where my wife works and we may have found her another route that could save her a few minutes and also an easier left turn onto the main highway.

Tom, yes they are! I'm a minister and do a lot of driving visiting members, prospects, etc. It will make finding addresses so much easier. Mine also allows me to download and play MP3 files and audiobooks. I'm downloading a book right now. I'll need to get a memory stick to add if I do much of that.

Brutus

BFOC threw a rod again :curse:

100_2679.jpg

At this point, the rods will come off and go into storage in the box. Lionel really screwed this up - pun intended. I really like this little train, but for the price the rods should stay on. I guess they saw this as a display only item, but I only buy trains to run them. Maybe I will try to glue again, but right now I'm not a happy camper.

On a nicer note, Thomas and his people stopped by the Yard to check out the Hogwarts Express. It's taking a nap, recupperating from a recent replacement of the #20 car due to Newtonian physics.

100_2672.jpg

The BFOC (Buford) hopes that someday he can be a Really Useful Engine as well....

Jonadel

Brutus--
Nice pic of Thomas, that's the one we have here for our granddaughter, she like to take the tops off of the passenger cars and take people for a ride. They are the old Fischer Price people her Dad and Uncle played with :) Sure glad we saved them.

Dr. John--I think your GPS will work in the Valleys without an optional antenna, ours does. When you are in a tunnel it will cut out and nothing will help but it pops right back on when you are in the open again. My wife reminds me every now and then about what a wise purchase it was!

Jon

Jim,

The BFOC should still be in warranty. Give Lionel a shout and see what they can do?

We have had one running on the Grand Central Terminal display since Thanksgiving and no issues. We have been impressed with its durability for such a fine thing.

Been working on a Bowser 24 inch turntable for a layout. What a project. Everything requires extra effort and design-arounds to make it work properly. I must have about 2 weeks of effort on this thing and still a few hours to go. It does look very nice however and is pretty cool when it turns.

Off with the missus to see Charlie Wilson's War.

Later all.

Brutus

Jon, my brother and I blew up all the old fischer price people when we were kids - put lady fingers in the little hole in the bottom and the heads would shoot off like 100 feet or more. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Roy, the little screws keep unscrewing. I guess I could call them, but I was trying some of that blue goop that is supposed to lock a screw. The first one I did it on worked great. I'll probably just redo the 2nd one and do both front ones and then see what happens. They aren't stripped, they just won't stay put. Did you lube up your driver rods? maybe mine are a little too tight and so that's why they are unscrewing the screws?

Laz...Yes, again this year I received coal, but we believe we have remedied the situation for future years. Chuck, instead of the Chief, will be providing my reference to Santa.

Doug...Did you do the north or south route across NY?

Roy... After over a year of running the TPC 300, everything is working perfect. Thanks again.

Dr. John...T-Shirt weather?

Jon...I'm glad it is your turn this year.

Chief...When did I start to look like an elf? :confused:

ozzy

Jon, my brother and I blew up all the old fischer price people when we were kids - put lady fingers in the little hole in the bottom and the heads would shoot off like 100 feet or more. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Roy, the little screws keep unscrewing. I guess I could call them, but I was trying some of that blue goop that is supposed to lock a screw. The first one I did it on worked great. I'll probably just redo the 2nd one and do both front ones and then see what happens. They aren't stripped, they just won't stay put. Did you lube up your driver rods? maybe mine are a little too tight and so that's why they are unscrewing the screws?

you talking about blue locktite? get the red locktite, its better/stronger . the blue dont hold anything, i use red to hold all the nuts and bolts tight on all my bikes,

dbaker48

Thought would try to catch up on a few thoughts......

Jeffrey - Make sure your printers are connected to different ports on the computer. If you have more than one USB port you should be OK. Go to the printer and fax setup screen, then check properties. Have the printers designated for different Ports, and your problem should be resolved.

John - Really surprising the grass is that green, should be brown if not covered with snow. The only thing that makes it look like winter is the abscence of leaves.

Ozzy - The El Camino is 87, I bought it new, has new engine, tran, paint job. Got it when the '86 was stolen. (Had that one 8 months) The 87 has been stolen once, was very fortunate to get it back. I think we have 4 levels of security on it, takes about 3 minutes just to get past all the devices. Son currently is driving it, he's got racing stripes on it, and flame decals on the windshield. (Sun Visor area).

Roy - I came reallllly close to buying one of those a year ago. Glad I didn't, we have one at the club and it has never worked. But noone has sat down and made a project of it either. Now its just a picture location.

Tom - Don't need the GPS system here. Just travel toward the sun, then turn left or right. All you need to know, either end up with snow-balls, or tamales.

Buckeye - I took a closer look at the REA Sound Car this morning. We are running it with the PE around the Chrismas Tree, conventionally. There is a magnet and a wafer switch on one of the axles, hence the chugs. Can't adjust the rate, but can adjust the volume. The whistle AND bell do well. We have it set so when the whistle blows it sounds like an echo. And the bell does well too. So far I am aware of 2 messages from the dispatcher telling the train to hold for clearance. It probably could be reconfigured with a different body. But it doesn't look bad either. I've really liked it and run it with a lot of different engines.

Doug - Welcome back, glad it was a safe trip!!

Chief - Now with this parade.... New's Years Day? Is that right? If so I will have to cancel our schedule with the Rose Bowl, and Pasadena.

Going to Bed Bath and Beyone and pick up a home-brew kit, makes 2 gal, promotional discount now is $11.99 (Mr. Keg)

Looking forward to a LONNNNG weekend, going to be closed on Monday. Need to see about checking the stores for that magazine.

Jonadel

you talking about blue locktite? get the red locktite, its better/stronger . the blue dont hold anything, i use red to hold all the nuts and bolts tight on all my bikes,

Ozzy--I would bet the farm that you ride an HD, right? That would explain why you use the red :mrgreen:

Jon

cnw1995

Hey, I was able to hack into the church's network. I'm over here whilst the bride directs a drama rehersal (sp), I will be video directing it - what a team. Glad I drove her over as I was the only one who knew how to unlock the front door and turn on the stage lights - LOL.

Jon, that is the name of the hobby store in Cedar Falls where my wife bought my Christmas gift !! Are you far from it?

John, yes, we took I-90/80 through IN, OH, the top of PA, NJ where it turned into 95, then NYC and Conn. 922 miles one way - sheesh. I am jealous of your green grass after plowing the neighbors driveway -

Nick, I got a copy of Railway Modeller from my son for Christmas - the Dec. issue - only $13 -- it came with the neatest CD showing layouts and Peco-rama - that would be a neat place to visit.

Brutus, sorry about Buford. Great to see Thomas!

Don, is your El Camino in a parade?

cnw1995

Do those GPS units require a subscription or continuous connection to work - or are they self-contained?

Roy, the GCT layout looked marvelous - I found another one sponsored by a Long Island hobby store in the NBC store. Running PolEx and NorthPole trains.

ozzy

Thought would try to catch up on a few thoughts......

Jeffrey - Make sure your printers are connected to different ports on the computer. If you have more than one USB port you should be OK. Go to the printer and fax setup screen, then check properties. Have the printers designated for different Ports, and your problem should be resolved.

John - Really surprising the grass is that green, should be brown if not covered with snow. The only thing that makes it look like winter is the abscence of leaves.

Ozzy - The El Camino is 87, I bought it new, has new engine, tran, paint job. Got it when the '86 was stolen. (Had that one 8 months) The 87 has been stolen once, was very fortunate to get it back. I think we have 4 levels of security on it, takes about 3 minutes just to get past all the devices. Son currently is driving it, he's got racing stripes on it, and flame decals on the windshield. (Sun Visor area).

Roy - I came reallllly close to buying one of those a year ago. Glad I didn't, we have one at the club and it has never worked. But noone has sat down and made a project of it either. Now its just a picture location.

Tom - Don't need the GPS system here. Just travel toward the sun, then turn left or right. All you need to know, either end up with snow-balls, or tamales.

Buckeye - I took a closer look at the REA Sound Car this morning. We are running it with the PE around the Chrismas Tree, conventionally. There is a magnet and a wafer switch on one of the axles, hence the chugs. Can't adjust the rate, but can adjust the volume. The whistle AND bell do well. We have it set so when the whistle blows it sounds like an echo. And the bell does well too. So far I am aware of 2 messages from the dispatcher telling the train to hold for clearance. It probably could be reconfigured with a different body. But it doesn't look bad either. I've really liked it and run it with a lot of different engines.

Doug - Welcome back, glad it was a safe trip!!

Chief - Now with this parade.... New's Years Day? Is that right? If so I will have to cancel our schedule with the Rose Bowl, and Pasadena.

Going to Bed Bath and Beyone and pick up a home-brew kit, makes 2 gal, promotional discount now is $11.99 (Mr. Keg)

Looking forward to a LONNNNG weekend, going to be closed on Monday. Need to see about checking the stores for that magazine.

i had a 1978 and a 1980 , wish i had an 1987 SS now.

Status
Not open for further replies.