Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Evening all. Got to chat with this guy named Jim F. Not a bad guy like Buckeye and the Ohizo gang claimed he was. :p Frank, great video. Frank, I'll be Frank. You don't mess around when it comes to laying track and getting it going. Ran trains this evening. Remvoed the shell from the trailering A unit of the MTH E6's. Sure enough, has its on smoke unit. Wanted to check. Box said two smoke units. Manual [poorly written] only talked about lead A unit. Has off/on smoke switch. Trailering A does not have this switch. I guess the off/on on the lead unit sends the off.on by theather through the B and to the back A. Anyway, loaded it with JT's and it smokes. While I had it down, pulled the motors and added grease to the gears. They were fine but did not know as this was a 2000 year catalog unit. Knowing MTH, they may have just been delivered. sign1 Didn't think so as this guy who sent them has been out of $$ for a few years. I wanted to make sure the grease had not harden. MTH sure does a poor job on manuals. Showed 4 screws holding the shell on. I knew better. Sure enough, 6 screws. Will say, easiest shell to remove and replace I've ever had.

Noticed suddenly the switch lights were flashing on and off. KW was tripping breaker in and out. ???? The breaker in line was not. Shut down the switch power side of the KW. Cleared. Waited and turned it back on and all was fine. Probably a mystery thing with Realtrax switches. wall1 Well, goooooood night.

dbaker48

Evening all, well tomorrow is the BIG DAY, Our big boy comes back. Been at the Big L, for repair. Apparently had a loose ground wire, that subsequently shorted out a couple of boards.

I'm going to take this opportunity to BRAG. One of my son's friends live with his grandmother, as does a 21 yr old cousin, (of the friend) and parents. Family has had a lot of issues, and financial problems as well. Anyway, the 21 yr old was killed this past weekend in a motorcycle accident. Unknown to us, Chris went to his Credit Union deposited his check, and withdrew spending money, and $100 extra. He took the $100, and gave it to his friend to help with the funeral. The friend had him give it directly to the Grandmother. This all happened yesterday, I found out this evening. I sure am proud of him! On our way to the train club tonight he told me about it, and asked if "I" thought it was OK ?!?! He told me that he slightly knew the 21 yr old, and he was kinda of a Thug, but he really felt sorry for the family and their pain.

Just had to share, I am so proud !!

Frank53

Thank you gents, hopefully will be able to get some video without teh phone . . .

Nice story Don

Still up in the air about whether or not to do the cut across in the upper right. I am weighing how the effect can work in the corner.

In the meantime, I uncluttered the center section by taking out the diagonal and making the inner loop a straight shot down off the back section on the left. I'm losing a siding for now, although I may place that elsewhere, depending on how the buildings come together:

70483749.jpg

17134010.jpg

Frank53

As part of finalizing the track plan, I am going to mock up the general outlines of the buildings I have on hand and the kits I have ready to build in order to determine what goes where and how the structures will work into the track plan. This way I can weigh the pros and cons of compromises in the track plan for structures and vice-versa:

The general shape of the fireworks factory can go here and the street can extend to both sides. In the foreground, I can place lower buildings, scrapyard lots or perhaps a passenger station:

24164554.jpg

On the extension, the cliffside will extend down under GW Dunn's and a dirt road will make it's way to this structure, which will be "Wicked Wanda's" a Bar Mills kit:

64375020.jpg

Once I figure out what buildings I can use, I can finalize the track plan, which works a whole lot better than securing and wiring the track, only to find I have painted myself into a corner on what structures I can use.

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/6/2007

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 33°F

So Far Today
High: 51°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 18mph NNE

Today High: 68 Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. East winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Partly cloudy. Warmer. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds around 10 mph.

P1010005-8.jpg

Good Morning................
It is a really cold 1 degree. No more snow fell. Going up to only 30 today. Clear skies.
Today I am doing the grocery shopping. I will wait for a few hours before venturing out.
Frank53 ...Looking good. Keep us posted on the progress.
Don...... You have reason to be proud.
Everybody have a nice day,
Chuck

spankybird

OTTS Founder
Good Morning All from NE Ohio
where the temp is 20 deg with Clear Blue Skies! :mrgreen:

Chuck -Brrrrrrrrrrr, :eek: See you do need to come back north to the lake and get warm! bounce7

Buckeye - Looks like Chief is going to be too busy to finish his layout or watch out for us. wall1

Getting ready for the Musueum Open House this Sunday. If any of you are in the area, be sure to stop in! :wave7:

47b7dc22b3127cce9854880e8f9100000017101AaNGjRm0Ysd

:wave:

L

laz57

HI GIZ,
9 degrees out here. Got 2hr. delay. Great day for me.
Happy Friday EVE!!!
DENNIS, buffalo burgers are great, so are buffalo wings.

later,
laz57

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

It was 19 F as I slid out of the driveway this morning. Our high today is supposed to be 37 F. Yesterday we had some snow. I think there is about an inch or two on the grass. The sidewalks and driveway have a thin coat of slippery almost ice-like snow. Driving this morning was interesting because even though the roads were fine last night and treated in many places they refroze and their were accidents everywhere. I did not encounter any of the re-icing on my route to work but it was slow going.

No modeling last night. We had Cub Scout Den Meetings.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Dr. John

Good morning! Temp not as low this am but still a sizable frost on the grass. The wind-chill is pretty frigid, though.

Our local high school football team is back in the state championship game, defending our title this Saturday at Legion Field in Birmingham. We're ranked number 2 in the nation by USA Today, so a lot is riding on this game. Youngest daughter is one of the team trainers - yes, she's excited!

Need to run the riding mower over the leaves this weekend. That should wrap up yard work for the year, except for pruning trees.

Have a good day, all!

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Good morning all!

My first post in a Caboose thread...at least that I can remember?!?

It's getting cold outside here in Toronto -5 C which is 23 F. Not much to say on the home front except that the little family is gearing up for hohoho. Kids got all excited when the train went under the tree.

Have a good day me buckos!

cnw1995

Welcome Tetters. It is very cold and sunny in a snowy Crystal Lake today. I ran James for the first time last evening. He sure is a funny looking engine unlike his storybook namesake. Wheels too small and he's too short.

Jim, the new section begins on the curve of the switch - that is where I ended up putting an insulating pin in both the center and the closet rail - but I'm worried an engine moving through this curve into the new separately powered block shows a heck of a spark. That can't be good.

Frank, I like how you can walk into the layout and nearly be surrounded by it.

I'm thinking of adding a third main line around the perimeter - then I could run Thom, James and Percy, put Diesel in the yard and still have a trolley loop.

jefelectric

Good morning,

Laz, I was at Barry's last Thursday, preordered some things from the 2008-1 MTH catalog and chatted with Mike. Actually the place looked empty, not much on the bargain table and the window shelf was empty? Neve saw it empty before. Must have had a great black Friday.

Temp was down to 15 this morning, right now the sun is shining and supposed to go up to mid 30s, heading to the fitness center after lunch and then a few errands. May even do a little christmas shopping for the wife.

dwiemer

Good Morning all,
Frank, like the ideas you have going into this. One thought, would it be possible to add a switch/siding going straight off the cut in on the lower right side. Where it narrows, just place a switch instead of the curve piece and that would give a nice siding for storage. If you want, you can build buildings over it for scenery and hide the siding. Kent Johnson spoke of hiding tracks behind buildings in one of the CTT articles awhile back.....PS: I know the correct term is turnouts.
Dennis

Krawler

Good afternoon y'all,
Had a low of 19 degrees it's currently 32 degrees on the way to 38 degrees today. Was froggy this morning and the fog has finally burned off.

Thinking of starting the framework for my layout today.

later

Shane

jeffrey-wimberl

Dang, you Yankee boys sure know how to get cold. 40 degrees when I got up at 6:15 this morning, it's 55 right now and we're expecting a high of 62.

Chief Eagles

Evening all. HAve not had time to post anywhere today. Thought I would from Town Hall but stayed busy. Got home and fed deer. Then sawed that layout board to 6 foot. Now to screw track down. High was around 40 today. Did take the front A unit apart and regrease to motors. Now everything is OK. Got to go for now. Pam's Senior Ladies Sunday School class is having their Christmas meal. She teaches the ladies. Then her class [her age] will do something too later. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.