Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Foggy good morning. Looks like fall is here with the fog. "N", thanks for the info and donuts. Got to mow when it dries out as grass is growing from all the rain. Then hope to sow turnips. Pack for 6 days as flying to NH tomorrow AM early, from there, fly to Boise ID. on Wed evening. Cabela's opening a new store. The reception and meal is in the Bosie Depot. Should be interesting. Have a great holiday and week.
  2. pennman

pennman Member

labor day

Good morning all, Great day here in Tn, Going to catch up on some of that honey do list today.
    Mike nice piece on Labor Day.
    Yall have fun now,
  3. pennman

pennman Member

Coffees a brewing

Hey guys well since I'm the first here this morning, climb up in the cabin coffees hot and eggs are a cooking..
    Well all and all it was a good weekend,banged out a whole bunch of the honey doos, and even got to go look at some trains. the sunrise is great and looks like its going to be a good week.
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Howdy my fellow toy train enthusiasts.

It is wet here.

Got the car fixed at long last, tires.4. brakes 2, belts water pump and an oil change. OUCH!

No coffee and donut money, they will miss me at at the Cafe de Casa Del Donuto.

But my ride is restored to good 14 mpg, 120 mph health.
  5. pennman

pennman Member

morning I think

Hey guys, its a great day here in TN, just havein some coffee and enjoying the morning.
    Sitting out here on my back deck just waiting to see my first sign of that elusive,rare fall contractor to migrate over to my house and start building that nest..
    sign1 TONY
    Have a great day yall
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

bought a half gallon of buttermilk recently.

No one here drinks it but me so a half of a gallon seems a lot but I made short work of it.

I like it cold and will sometimes put a glass in the freezer and enjoy it just before it freezes.

Growing up, we often had it at dinner time with green onions, brown beans and corn bread and cucumbers and onions in vinegar. In winter mom would add sausage to that.

Looking back now I realize other people ate steak or chicken and coal miners and farmers ate what we did, poor folks food it is.

My dad grew up on that as did my mom. Everyone in West Virginia did I think.

We weren't poor when I was young, indeed far from it but we ate cornbread and beans none the less. All the cukes and tomatoes we ate , we grew. We could have bought those just as easily but folks didn't do that way back then.

About 2 AM last night I got up and poured a cold glass of the thick and slightly sour stuff and set a long while in the dark kitchen partially lit by the street light on the corner. As I nursed that glass of butter milk I though about the recent passing of my mom and when I was a kid, and when I was a soldier and a dozen other things. I thought about my brother, a paramedic and a fire fighter of some 30 years + service. I think of him at night now a good deal since 9/11. I worry about him on night shifts.

I thought of my grandmothers little house that was heated by a big coal stove and the little barn across the road from it. She always had a cow with a calf.

She made great butter milk.

Thomas Wolfe said you cant go home again and I guess you cant but there will always be butter milk and memories and dark kitchens.

7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Aye!, and there's no perfumery as can capture the smell of a new spring morning, fresh after an early morning rain, nor anything as peaceful as deep winter's night, and a fire in the fireplace, the only light in the room.
  8. pennman

pennman Member

The Farm

I can symapathize with that Gil, Grew up on a dairy farm and I remeber many a cold tight winter. My Grandma and Mom always said we where not poor, just blessed as long as we had each other. I have to admitt I miss some of those days family with heavy blankets in the winter, everything home made and the whole family was always together. And no matter how tight things where nobody complianed except for Grandpa. Hell we had a black and white TV till almost the 80s..
    I do believe though that is half the problem with todays kids and society is we have all forgotten our families and the values they have tought us.
    Thanks for makeing me remeber some of the better times,
    BTW think I might go and find me a quart of butter milk been a long time
  9. Chief Eagles

Evening all. Recouped from trip to Boise ID. Was real smokey from fires when I first arrived. Cleared a lot when I left. Real adventure getting out of Houston TX on Continental. Lady would not allow her cats to ride in cargo area. Cage would not fit under the seat in front of her. Held us up for over an hour. Gooood night.
  10. Chief Eagles

Morning all. NO coffee nor donuts!!!!! Whose job is that? Cooler here. Fall is around the corner. Fishing time for me. Pretty leaves, cooler temps and fish feeding up ffor the winter. Have a good one.
  11. pennman

pennman Member

Rude awakening

:rolleyes: Hey guys,
    was wonering what happened to everyone. Glad to see your back and had a good trip.
    We need to fire the coffee and donuts guy...I could sure use a cup this morning.
    I was rudly awoke this morning @ 6:15 by a limber truck in my drive. Which could be a good thing means them contractors should be following soon.
    Yall have fun now
  12. Chief Eagles

You selling timber? Or just clearing lot? Selling timber means good $$$$$$$. Only bad part is Uncle Sam wants a chunk in Capital Gains. Software is moving faster. :)
  13. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Airport mess for my step daughter Sunday night/Monday morning... was trying to leave O'Hare and it was socked in - her plane was supposed to arrive at 11:30... finally got to Phila at 1:05 Am :( Missed a bit of sleep because the Mrs. and I had to pick her up :(

It's cool here (75 deg.) in PA today and 'till Friday... they say it's supposed to get up to 82 on Saturday - so I'll find something to do - I'm sure sign1

Brought another batch ( a bit late - I know)

If anyone else wnats to post the donuts, just copy this link and post away :) :)

or this one:

Have a good one!!!
  14. pennman

pennman Member

Thomas good or bad

Hey guys,
    Glad to see the donut guy finaly made it, thought I'd starve today.LOL:thumb:
    Well guys took the grand kids to see thomas the train this weekend, they had a blast, gigled all the way. Me on the other hand was disappointed, thought it would be a steam engine 060type, No, not even a diesel, its just a car built by Strausburg RR mus. has Stream drivers and a steam generator on it so as to blow smoke and wistle but thats it.
    Thought everything was a bit over priced as well. 12.00 for a train hat,5.00 cup of leomonade,3.00 hot dog..ect... I wouldnt have minded as much if it was a steam engine. But the imortant thing was the kids had fun, until the rain hit.
    BTW, the Lumber is here, and the contractor called should be starting this week on everything..
    These are of Thomas and the next generation on MRR fans oh yeah and my son and sonlaw who thinks trains are silly!!

Attached Files:

15. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Rain Rain today and tomorrow... We need a bit - so it's ok I guess.... :D

16. Chief Eagles

Morning all. Got to rush to mow before the big rains come [so they say]. Hope all is well and have a great one. Rains start, then I will work on a used PW ZW I bought.
  17. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Good morning,

It has been raining all morning here. Good, the grass needs it to revive from a long streach without rain.

The donuts sure look good.

Keep dry,
  18. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

Good Afternoon everyone,

Raining here in NE Ohio for the last two days. Weekend is supposed to be nice. Tonight will be a good night to work on the layout or other models..
  19. Chief Eagles

Rainy good morning here. Got PW ZW fixed. Breaker was stuck open. Will replace with automotive type. Hope all have a great one.
  20. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

Morning from NE Ohio. Still gloomy and cool. Weekend should be nice 70-80 degrees and sunny. Good weekend to do a little railfanning in Berea. Hope everyone has a good day...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.