Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning all. So busy yesterday, did not get to computer until late last night. Wife is at the beach [got her off early yesterday]. Got to go get cables to cable off the pond dam. Horse riders can not read sign telling them to stay off. Cutting big rut in back side where they ride down. Blocked it and the removed. Guess cables is better than shooting horses. :rolleyes: Have a good one. God bless.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I know how you feel about people riding where they shouldn't be.
We have a problem here with people on quads and dirt biked tearing up our private road and private property. The Sheriff doesn't want to be bothered with solving the problem so it is getting out of hand and may lead to the land owners taking the law into our own hands.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Ray Marinaccio said:
I know how you feel about people riding where they shouldn't be.
We have a problem here with people on quads and dirt biked tearing up our private road and private property. The Sheriff doesn't want to be bothered with solving the problem so it is getting out of hand and may lead to the land owners taking the law into our own hands.
I ran over about 30 tire spikes in my truck while trying to scout out a Phx-Prescott cycle ride in your immediate area. I did not think I was on private property but it was obvious somebody did not want me there for some reason. That did not happen to be you was it?:D
I ran over the spikes on a little section of dirt road that parallells 89 on the east side just before the turnoff for Poland Junction. Ticked me off something fierce. Spent almost an hour cleaning up the entire road so the next person along would not experience the same displeasure! :curse:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Good Evening Everyone. Well today was a big day for me and we had a Structure Burn Class. We burnt a house to the ground for training and a class that we needed to get in before our new Ladder Truck arrives next year. Had alot of fun and learned alot about everything. Got home around 15:00 p.m. I haven't been doing anything train wise as my brother came home last Friday and I have been spending time with him & catching up on everything that had been going on while he was over there and I was telling him about all what went on here at home. Well I am going to get going here and browse around on here. Have A Good Night Everyone.:wave: :wave: :wave:

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Greetings From North Central Ohio!

New to this forum as of today! Im inbetween Sandusky and Cleveland in a small town called Amherst. As of right now, I can hear the whistles of Norfolk Southern freight! Its nice area located inbetween two sets of tracks. I have all around me. The north on the lake is Ex-Conrail now NS and to the south and west of me is NS(i believe the old NYC or NKP) Then the old B&O isnt too far to the east of me which CSX runs nighttime freights from the steel mill down to catch I believe into the grafton area. Im not too familiar yet with all the trackage rights...never really cared until recently. Im 22 and I just love trains, second to the girls of course. haha! Ive had family work for the N&W, NS, and CSX. I model NS and CSX now (with conrail and amtrak trains of course.)In the HO Scale.I have a 5' by 10' layout that im starting to build with "double main" and a spur to the inside. I wanna add a top track to the layout too, since i have a really nice Amtrak set. My pride right now is a P2K SD-60 NS engine and then i have a lot of the older "dummy" athearns and a few powered. Im looking for a good CSX engine to purchase and i really like the new es (44/40) (ac/dc) units as well. I hear another train going through now! This area is always hoppin with trains!!

Hope to get to know you all well soon! Take Care.

Jeff :)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
TrainNut said:
I ran over about 30 tire spikes in my truck while trying to scout out a Phx-Prescott cycle ride in your immediate area. I did not think I was on private property but it was obvious somebody did not want me there for some reason. That did not happen to be you was it?:D
I ran over the spikes on a little section of dirt road that parallells 89 on the east side just before the turnoff for Poland Junction. Ticked me off something fierce. Spent almost an hour cleaning up the entire road so the next person along would not experience the same displeasure! :curse:

No I wouldn't do that. To much chance of Innocent people like yourself getting involved (screwed). I would and just might go after the certain few that are giving offroaders a bad name.
I used to ride dirt bikes in my younger years and respected other peoples rights and property as many still do.

Welcome to the Gauge Jeff.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Morning all. Welcome Jeff. :wave: I'm a NS man too. Got about 12 diesels in NS. Ray, glad to see you post here again. Missed the tales and photos of the "ranch" and AZ. Looks like you might have set off the smoke alarm with that cake. :rolleyes: NC has been getting rain. Garden is producing lots of squash and cucumbers. Getting a few tomatoes [35 plants] and corn getting ready. Over slept and missed early Church. Going to see Prairie Home Companion this afternoon. Have a great day and God bless.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Good Morning from SE PA! Welcome Aboard Jeff!!! I'm surrounded by Rails too - B&O (NS) on one side and the Northeast Corridor (AMtrak, PRR, COnrail) on the other -- both pass by about 1/4 mile to the North and South respectively :) :) Hear whistles all the time - not too bad a thing :) :)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Guys. The cake was decorated by a friend of ours. I told my wife not to put all those candles on the cake because we might get a citation for disobeying the burn ban or start a forest fire.
Glad to hear your garden is doing well Chief, We didn't put in a garden this year, I was having some health problems and just didn't feel up to it.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Gil.
Had some odd weather today. After being in the low 90s most of the day, About 4:00 this afternoon we got hit with a hail storm.

Attachments

• Jun25$02.JPG
    Jun25$02.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Jun25$05.JPG
    Jun25$05.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Jun25$06.JPG
    Jun25$06.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 21

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah, I lived in a city(Vermilion), where the NS crossed underneath the Conrail mainlain by our river in which id go fishing at. Even seen an engine on fire once! Then I moved to Lorain and lived 500 ft from the NS main from the Avon Lake to Lorain ford plants(and beyond). We have lots of Coal trains in the area. Second most would probably be the Intermodal now which has overtaken our autoracks since Lorain Ford Closed and Avon Lake is probably going to also. :( Thanks for the welcome again fellas!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
YUCK! 115 here in Phoenix yesterday! My air conditioner had a hard time keeping up. We usually keep it pegged on 72 as my wife and I both work from home and yesterday after about noon, it did not cycle off again until after 10 at night. Looks like another $400 dollar electrical bill this month. They say it is supposed to be cooler today - 109:D . Thank goodness it cools off at night - all the way down to 85!!! Why do I live here again?... Oh yeh, September through April. Good to see you had some hail Ray! We just got a bunch of wind.
Currently we are shortly before 8 a.m. at 88 degrees and 34% humidity.

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Afternoon all. Took Burg [the lab] to the vet this AM for his annual [shots and all]. As soon as we truned in, he knew where we were. Had to drag him out of the truck and into the door. Finished, flew out the door and jumped in the truck. Smart dog. Around 1 PM went to the pond to work on the gulley [1 1/2 feet deep and about a foot wide] cut by the storm and water going over the emergency spillway. Put old concrete blocks [the old heavy type] in the gulley. First ones were two mortered together. Layed them down to make a funnel type with two holes. Drove rebar down to hold it. Put in a big [90lb] slab of stone beside it to block the water from eating out around it. Man that stuff is heavy to lift. The rest I stood up right in the gulley and drove rebar in them. Put big stones in front of them to help block the water pressure against the blocks and to prevent cutting under them. Hope this will slow the water down and help control the erosion. Next is to place a 2X10 about 4 foot long at the top so it will funnel water through the blocks. One big help is a big concrete manhole right at the top of the emergency spillway. That forces the water over to the solid rock face on the hill and lower side. Got in and wife thought I had fallen in the pond. Even boots were wet inside. Funny. I had cooled off some sitting in the shade on the bridge over the spillway with a breeze for about 30 minutes and listening to the water go over the falls. :) Rain ran me to the truck. Now I am showered and rested. Think I will run trains. Drink plenty of sweet ice tea [had a jug with me and that was my salvation].:thumb: Guys, I love visiting AZ. Beautiful country [different from us in the east]. Later

Status
Not open for further replies.