Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning, how's every little thing today.
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/14/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 29°F
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 27°F

So Far Today
High: 38°F
Low: 36°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 23mph NNE

High: 44 °F
Low: 30 °F
Today High: 45 Mostly cloudy. Colder. Highs in the mid 40s. North winds around 10 mph.
Tonight Low: 30 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 30. Light and variable winds becoming north around 10 mph after midnight.
My breakfast order is for a cheese and mushroom omelet.
cheese-mushroom-omelette.jpg

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Happy Valentine's Day people! Today is my very first back-to-back snowday! Yesterday was called off because of snow, and today because yesterday it rained sleet down like the dickens and all of that froze to ice!Can't do anything on the shed though, dad doesn't want me to screw up the decals. I'll probably try to scratch-build a store or something. As my gift to everyone I will post the last three parts of my story today:thumb:

Cheers,
CNWman

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
jefelectric said:
Good afternoon,

Looks like we have about 5" so far, still snowing but it has been very slow all day since about 5 AM. Went out a while ago to blow off the drive and walks. The snow blower is actiing up. Starts and runs fine until you put a load on it and then it dies, no power, quit after a few passes. Might be fuel filter clogged, not sure. Will let grandson take a look at it tomorrow, if no school. Neighbor finished off my drive for me.

Enjoy the trains,

Did you use Stay Bill when you stored it in the spring?

Might be bad or dirty gas. Even a little in the carb or fuel lines is a problem even when you add fresh.

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Good afternoon,

Nasty weather here. Snow than sleet & rain, now snowing again. Looks like another day mostly indoors for me. Temps taking a dive again, now 20 degrees.

Working on my catenary project again, had some help from 13 year old grandson, got most of the shelf, connecting sectiion, done. Hardest part yet to do as most get up on the layout to do a portion of the remainder.

Had son and his family up for pizza and hot wings this evening. They spent the day cleaning drives and walks at his business and then his home and everyone's drive on the street. Mostly older people (like me) so they really appreciate it.

Gil, I think you are right on the snow blower, he worked at it a while, but it is really tought to get to the way it is designed. I had him put it back together and will get it picked up and serviced before the next snow. I normally put sta-bill (however it is spelled) in the tank at the end of the season, but I think I fouled up. We had such a mild winter last year that I never used the blower so probably ddn't add the sta-bill).

Take care,

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Hey guys, Glad to see I'm not alone.Lots of ice and sleat around here as well. So much for the warm south its been in the single digits at night and the low 20's during the day.

Well got the laundry done!!! thought I was going to move in there But was told other wise somehow I bought I new washer and drier.hmmm (dont remember buying that??)
well shes happy, gotmore floor tile laid and a good part of the painting done,now comes the fun of the cabinets..

Yall have fun now,
TONY

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Snow? I was out in shirt sleeves and enjoying the sun. About 4 PM the wind got up and it was almost freezing by dark. Wind blew hard all night. Getting ready to go to the airport and fly to Orlando. Will be at Bass Pro Shops until Sunday afternoon. Keep the pot going til I get back. Stay warm.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Morning everyone. Thanks for the concern over my grandson!

-17 this morning. We are supposed to be in the +20s tomorrow.

Another of my hobbies is collecting and restoring old Wheel Horse garden tractors so this if for you guys with small engine troubles.

Stay bill (spell) is only good for about 90 days then the gas will start to turn (read the label). If you check almost any engines storage instructions you will find that they recommend that you drain the fuel tank then start and run it till it dies to get all of the gas out of the system. Because of my area and storage times due to seasons we see it all the time, boat motors, lawn mowers and jet skis that will not run after sitting 6 months and snow blowers and snow mobiles that....wont run after sitting 6 months. I know several of the local small engine shops pretty well. These guys say that their bread and butter are the guys that leave fuel, treated and untreated in their toys.

Have a great day!

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Morning all. I was watching on CNN this morning as an Ohio state police car got creamed by an out-of-control FedEx truck! Don't you know that made the truck driver's week!

It's going to be cloudy and cold today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/15/2007

Wind Chill: 27°F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 24°F

So Far Today
High: 31°F
Low: 30°F
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 45 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 40s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 25 Mostly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds around 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.

I'll have the scrambled eggs today.

scambledeggs.jpg

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Good morning from frigid central PA.

Schools here are closed again today. Only had 1 1/2 days this week & Friday and Monday are holidays.]

Went out to the greenhouse this morning to checkon the seadlings & seeds. Using artificial light as the sun has not been out much. They are doing OK, but slow.

Pond frozen over except for a spot at the heater and another where the water fall hits the pond. Birds love that running ice water!

Hope to get a little more catenary done today. Can't run trains on the main while the construction crew is at work.

Tonight is my night to make dinner. Cornish hens, rice and a veggie of some kind, have to check the freezer, with salad and mixed fruit.

On the snow blower engine, I'm old enough to know better, but I guess you get lazy when you get away with it for a while. Also the way they build stuff today with everything enclosed. It is a major job to drain the fuel tank. I do usually turn the fuel valve off and run the fuel out of the carb. Unfortunately I did not do that to the snowblower the last time it was run wihich was about september when the oil was changed. Guilty as charged. :eek:ops: :( hamr

Enjoy the trains & stay warm.

cedarcreekrr

Jul 17, 2006
Garrett, IN
Had a 2 hour school delay today and it is currently snowing. We won't have a delay tommorrow it's an inservice day for teachers. I bet I learn alot about safety tommorrowsign1 love the inservice presentations.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
John wasn't say you were wrong. Was trying to point out that while Sta-bil does keep gas from going bad it has a limit....about 90 days. Up here in the north country we can park our boats and lawn mowers in late Step and not need they until mid to late Apr. We park our blowers and sleds in late Feb early Mar and they sit till Nov. I have one friend who owns a small engine shop who tells me that in Oct and Mar he does a lot of driving. He has to summarize sleds and blowers, winterize mowers and boats. He has to show that he disposed of the gas he drains and the only cheap way to do that is to burn it in his truck.
The EPA allows him to do that with documentation, otherwise he has to pay hazardous waste disposal fees.

This was meant to inform members of potential problems and maybe save em a few bucks in the long run....then they can spend more money on trains!!!!!!!!!!

Because we had no snow this year and I got my 2 Wheel Horse tractors that I use for snow ready in early Nov and haven't even started em I'm going to have to drain and get rid of the gas, pull and clean the carburetors, then out everything back together and readjust em.

Rick

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Being that it's coming up on lunch and I worked right through breakfast, I'm thinking about a Dagwood special.

64.jpg

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/16/2007

Wind Chill: 20°F
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 17°F

So Far Today
High
: 32°F
Low: 25°F
Gust: 11mph NNW

High: 48 °F
Low: 34 °F

Rest Of Today High: 48 Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 40s. Light and variable winds becoming southwest around 10 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 35 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. South winds around 10 mph.

jefelectric

Jul 9, 2006
Elizabethtown, PA
Good evening all,

It was a pretty nice, but cold day today. PennDot is in deep dodo over the inept way they handled the snow storm. The Gov. is very unhappy, we are likely to get a new Secretary of Trans, or maybe someone further down the ladder will be made the scape goat. Didn't really bother me, being retired I just stay home. :)

Rick, No offence taken, just wanted to let you know that I know better, just didn't do it. :eek:ops:

We are baby sitting the three granddaughters this evening, 6, 4 & 3 months. Ran trains for the two oldest awhile. 3 steamers and a lashup of two GP9s, all 5 with smoke. Cough, cough. :D

The Chief is now in Orlando, guess he didn't get a chance to check in here.

Completed the catenary on the shelf layout. Now have about 24 feet more to go. Next week is going to be pretty busy, unless I get another snow day, so it wont get any work until at least next Saturday.

Have a nice weekend,

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
jefelectric said:
Completed the catenary on the shelf layout. Now have about 24 feet more to go. Next week is going to be pretty busy, unless I get another snow day, so it wont get any work until at least next Saturday.

Have a nice weekend,

Can you post pictures of the catenary, or give advice? i've been looking into and researching the ctaneary while I finish up my other scenery ( that way i won't have to reach over the catenary to much).

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
It's going to be a busy day today. I have to prepare for the Mardi-Gras parade, which I'm in, then come back home and prepare for the Mardi-Gras ball tonight. That should have me tied up most of the day.

Today's Weather for:

Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/17/2007

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 36°F

So Far Today
High: 39°F
Low: 28°F
Gust: 12mph WNW

High: 57 °F
Low: 31 °F

Today High: 58 Mostly sunny. Not as cool. Highs in the upper 50s. Winds becoming northwest around 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 32 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph.

I'll have the french toast today.
french-toast.jpg

And I'll be snacking on some of these throughout the day.
donuts_4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.