Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh Bah
CNW: probably a couple of things here.
A hotbox happens when a friction bearing axle end and the metal that it's turning in run short of lubrication. The axle end starts to heat up and may eventually melt off. The journal box (where the axle end turns -- see the square lump at each corner of a truck) contains cotton waste (old undershirts?) that helps pull the oil onto the bearing and this may catch fire. (search for my post on Mississauga derailment)
Anyway, the railroads did 2 things. They replaced the bearings with roller bearings and they installed hotbox detectors that sense when something hotter than expected goes past. Now it just happens that the firebox of a steam loco is nice and hot and down near wheel level, so the hotbox detector picks this up. So there is an immediate message to the effect "Extra 2985 -- Over temperature axle 12" and the train has to slow down to confirm that it's the firebox and not an actual hotbox.

Alan d Lambert

HOT box

60103, I like your reply . that was where I was going but did not know the rest. Hot box detectors weren't fail prof you had to make sure they were working. That came from a neighbor that retired from MOPAC here in Fort Worth, Texas,

oldtanker

Moring all, 16 and going to be in the 20s again. Very mild winter for Minnesota!!!

Got the ceiling tore yesterday and about 6' of wall....new insulation in the wall and wiring! Doing another wall today. All goes as planed!

Gotta run and get some paint today for the wall and some liquid nails for the layout!

Great info on hotboxes!

Have a great day all.

Rick

jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/22/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 43°F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 46°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph N

High: 53 °F
Low: 42 °F

Now through 08:00 AM CST January 22, 2007

High: 55

Through 8 AM...areas of light rain or drizzle and a few showers will occur over the area along and southeast of a line from Cameron to Lafayette to Krotz Springs Louisiana. Over the coastal waters...numerous patches of rain or showers will occur from the lower Atchafalaya River Louisiana to High Island Texas out 60 nautical miles. Isolated patches of light rain or drizzle will occur elsewhere over the region.

Today High: 55 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers in the morning...then partly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s. North winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 38 Increasing clouds. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds around 10 mph.

Biscuits and gravy today if you please.

biscuitsgravy.jpg

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Rain froze to trees yesterday PM. Woke up this AM with ice gone. Warming up fast. Wiring on the backroom today. Want to get switches and etc wired and all done. Have a great one.

Hello all!

Been a while since I posted over here. Chief - SNOWHIO don't last long in the south.

Sunny and somewhat cold today - 43 at 1 pm. Might rain tonight or tomorrow.

Just got back from dismantling, packing, and shipping to storage (in Texas) the Grand Central Terminal MTA Museum Annex Lionel layout.

Took the subway (F line) over to Brooklyn to Trainworld/Trainland to look around. Shelves sonewhat bare after the season I guess. My buddy picked up a K-Line Super Chief diner for a decent price.

Have a great day all!

jefelectric

Good afternoon,

Chief, I don't think Jeffrey likes gritts, don't recall him ever posting a picture of them. :D

Roy, Did you ship by rail? :thumb:

Rick & Renovo, Sounds like you both are making progress on your projects.

Just got home a little while ago from fitness center. Dr. told me to cut back on the weights as it is agrevating my arthritus, so only doing 3/4 of what I had been.

Got to order a part for my scroll saw, the lower arm broke. Thought it was a blade when it happened but found out other wise. It is cast aluminum, must have had a flaw as I was doing some easy cutting when it happened. I'm just glad they still list the part as it is about 20 years old. Will find out shortly if they actually have it when I try to order it.

oldtanker

Morning all, 16 now, supposed to see 22.

Got the wall done yesterday and the first coat of mud on, once painted the fridge and the freezer will sit side by side in the kitchen. Only have 2 more pieces of sheet rock that I can put up and I'm done until the first!!!!!!Should be done by noon!! Then its layout time for the rest of the month!!!!!

Rick

jeffrey-wimberl

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/23/2007

Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 35°F

So Far Today
High: 43°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 8mph NNE

High: 50 °F
Low: 39 °F
Today High: 50 Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs around 50. North winds around 10 mph.
Tonight Low: 40 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Lows around 40. Light and variable winds.

Bacon and eggs for me today if you plaese.
bacon.jpg

Chief Eagles

Morning all. There is some orange ball in the sky???? OH, the sun is out. :thumb: Off to se my Dermatologist again. We need to stop meeting like this. I think it is my money she likes [Health Ins that is]. Tanker, I need some sheetrock put up and finished. How about coming down south and doing a 10 foot wall for me. :rolleyes: Got one MTH switch acting up. Hope I can figure it out. If not, got to pull it out and take it back. Got to go. Have a good one.

pennman

Well guys another wet nasty day here in TN! I just cant believe how wet and just plane nasty its been all winter, Warmer weather in the near future soon I hope.Going to rain again this weekend,dont see those xmas lights coming down anytime soon.(hell a head start on next xmas..lol
Yallhave fun now,
Tony

jefelectric

Good evening,

Running a little late today. Was baby sitting the three smallest granddaughters this morning till about 1:00 PM.

Neighbor was over for a short while this evening and I ran trains for him. Murphy was a work again. One of the trains parted for no reason. Caught it before we had a disaster.

oldtanker

Chief, only 10':rolleyes: ???? and you don't have it done yetsign1 ???? I've only put up about 40 sheets in the last couple of months:D .

Wait a sec here, crappie pond???????sign1 sign1 And it's warm?????

Rick

oldtanker

Morning all, mid teens going to be mid 20s. Gotta build 2 kitchen cupboards this morning then this afternoon the foam goes on the layout!

Have a great day.

Rick

jeffrey-wimberl

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/24/2007

Wind Chill: 40°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 38°F

So Far Today
High: 43°F
Low: 42°F
Rain: 0.01"
Gust: 7mph N

High: 48 °F
Low: 35 °F
Now through 09:00 AM CST January 24, 2007
High: 48
Through 9 AM...light rain will continue over much of southeast Texas and southwest into south-central Louisiana. Widely scattered patches of light rain or drizzle will occur over central Louisiana into interior southeast Texas. Rainfall rates will average just a few hundredths of an inch...although areas of moderate rain over mainly southeast Texas will produce over a tenth of an inch. Over the coastal waters...rain will be widespread from Marsh Island Louisiana west to High Island Texas and out to 60 nautical miles.
Today High: 48 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 35 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

I'll have an omelet with all the fixings.
omelet.jpg

pennman

Morning all,Great day here in Tn SUNNY and warm this morning!
Grandson got me up at 600am.Cant believe a 2 yroldcan wear meout that fast.
Yall have fun,
Tony

jefelectric

Morning all,

Cold and Cloudy here. Rest of the week looks the same with a chance of some snow.

Think I will work on a few unfinished projects in an attempt to clean of the bench a little.

Rick, Don't envy you the choir of remodeling the kitchen while it is in use. We did that about 10 years ago, lots of fun. :D

Keep warm and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.