Status
Not open for further replies.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Bob Collins said:
I haven't been posting for a spell and this looks like a nice active thread so I'll jump in here and see what's going on in the railroad world. My layout sits gathering dust as I haven't worked on it for at least 6 months.:cry: Maybe I can generate some motivation getting active on the Gauge once again.

:wave:
Well Look what the cat dragged in?!?!?!? :D :D :D :D

Glad you have a chance to stop by :)

Yes, hopefully you'll get a bit of motivation here :) Free donuts too - most every morning :D

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Hello Mikey, long time no see. :cry: I should really be well motivated as I attend the local model railroad club here in town every week I am in town. Maybe that's the problem as I get to run the trains there and they even let me toot the whistle from time to time if I am a really good boy:D :D

As a matter of fact I'll be there in a couple of hours. We have a really great model train layout housed in the 1899 Rock Island Depot here in Council Bluffs. The "passenger" end of the depot is a really well done railroad museum and we have a pretty extensive layout in two large rooms, one that can be viewed by the public and another of equal size that is really a huge staging yard with a helix and all sorts of good stuff. We are slowly upgrading everything to be able to run the trains by computer:thumb:

Glad to be back, I'll try to be a bit more active, but sometimes I just don't have a whol;e lot of time:cry: :cry:

Bob

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Bob Collins said:
Gil Finn

Your posts don't tell us where you are located, so I have no clue where the weather is only ggod for ducks. quote]

Check out the weather channle, it shows where it rains everyday.sign1

Just kidding, I am in the midAtlantiv area, beyoung the mountains.

Morgans Landing, W Va along the old James and Kanawha Turnpike.

James River and Kanawha Turnpike
The James River and Kanawha Turnpike was built to facilitate portage of shipments of passengers and freight by water between the western reaches of the James River via the James River and Kanawha Canal and the eastern reaches of the Kanawha River.
Originally proposed by a young George Washington in his surveyor days prior to the American Revolution, the canal and turnpike combination was seen as the key for Virginia to compete with northern states for rich trade to the west. However, the canal portion was an expensive project which failed several times financially, was frequently damaged by floods, and was never fully completed, although sections served for many years. It was largely financed by the Virginia Board of Public Works. After the American Civil War, when funds for continued financial help were not available from the worn-torn state or private sources. In 1871, Collis P. Huntington completed the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O) from the head of navigation at Richmond, Virginia to the Ohio River at Huntington, West Virginia (named in his honor), and the canal finally succumbed to the competition and the advancing transportation technology of the railroads. In the 1880s, the canal was bought and dismantled by one of the railroads, which built along the towpath and soon became part of the C & O.
The Turnpike portion of the combination envisioned by Washington remained a major roadway much longer, and was only supplanted by the completion of Interstate 64 in West Virginia in 1988. Much of the route of the James River and Kanawha Turnpike through West Virginia is today the Midland Trail, a National Scenic Byway, and is signed as U.S. Route 60. Ironically, while the historic road was long a turnpike financed through collection of tolls, today it is a toll-free favorite of shunpikers seeking either an avoidance of tolls on the West Virginia Turnpike, a scenic and bucolic interlude, or both.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Gil. All I ask is you be cafeful where you dig as I have lots of relatives (actually ancestors) buried in WVA. I think most of them are in Pocahontas County, but who knows. I can track them back to pre-Revolution, which means long before there even was a WVA, by God:thumb:

lionelfan

Nov 3, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Afternnon all from NE Ohio. Another cloudy, wet, cool late autumn day. Most outdoor work is done, now time for trains and model cars. Might do some railfanning this weekend if weather permits. Everyone have a safe weekend....

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Looks to me like a good weekend to stay off the highway between Columbus and Ann Arbor.

A little windy, but otherwise a beautiful sunny day here in the Omaha area. Leaves are all down and raked, flower beds all mulched, snow blower all gassed up and I'm ready for winter :rolleyes:

Seems like it must be time for a nap:thumb: :thumb: Don't want to get too much done today or I'll run out of things to do this winter. I only need to lay track, get everything wired correctly, get my DCC hooked up and decide how I'm going to scenic my layout. Wow, I really need a nap now, just thinking about all that made me tiredsign1

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Thanks Gil. All I ask is you be cafeful where you dig as I have lots of relatives (actually ancestors) buried in WVA. I think most of them are in Pocahontas County, but who knows. I can track them back to pre-Revolution, which means long before there even was a WVA, by God
thumbsup.gif

user_offline.gif

Me too.

I dont do much digging these days how ever.

There was always a W Va, but what is in a name?

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Hey Guys hows it going? Hope even faired thru the storms well. We had our first nice day today and I slept through most of it.BUMMER. Worked straight thru till 5 am this morning.
Got to catch what I think was a rail grinder in Nashville though, or one hellva a wheeel dragging.HAha
Well off to get ready it almost evening and I need to get to my tree stand. have a nice day all.
Tony

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Slow weekend. Nothing on TV so I have been annoying the dog, lol.

Bubbette made clam chowder and grilled cheese for supper.:)
next weekened is the hUntington train show.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Ah, but the temp here is in the high....................................teens, and that tends to make the frosting on your donut brittlesign1

At least no wind this morning. It has been blowing steady for the past 3 days. Actually it is bright and sunny too, just a little nippy. This is a good morning here to practice your windshield scraping technique:D :D

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Morning all, Cold Sunday morning. Remember the last race today for the season 2pm eastern time.JR stars 14th. The dam deer must subsribe to the gauge or you guys are telling them I'm going out, didnt see anything this morning or last night.
Well have to try again today.
Yall have a nice day,
Tony

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Where is your deerstand set up, in the median of Interstate 24sign1

My son totally a car a couple of years ago on that interstate between Clarksville and Nashville when he hit a deer. Fortunately no one was injured. They are a menace on the roads here as well. Has even been talk here about a controlled hunt inside the city limits for bow hunters.:thumb:

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
No, I wish I see more deer on the interstate than in the woods latley. They are seriuosly over building around here.
Last year I had 2 by bow, one by rifle and and one by chevy

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
The weather is miswerable and so am I. I am going to the er later and try to get some of the fluid I have tapped off. It feels like I am at the 6 liter mark.

I spent all afternoon at my dad's hopuse loafing around. He was glad for the company even if it was just me he said:rolleyes:

I hope you all have a dry warm work week such as it is and you and your families are safe on the hiways if you travel.

0001fl4trn005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.