Come back

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by angevine, Jun 22, 2007.

1. angevine

angevine Member

Before anyone shoots a round across my bows, let me just say that I understand the need for change. I understand the reasons for changing hosts of but this is where my issue lies.

I joined because I finally found a website dedicated to papermodelling.

It was full of like minded people who only wanted to see and talk about card modelling.

Now, and to my horror, I log in to find I am re-directed to and have to wait nearly 2 minutes for any post to appear on screen. Then even worse I find it is not about card modelling at all.

The site has become unusable. I posted a "Hello, i'm still here" thread but to be honest, I am not sure if I can stay if this continues.

I also noticed that my Posts have dropped by over 80% and all my previous posts have disappeared into the void.

I loved Now, I feel what was a wonderful, fast friendly site about cardmodelling and nothing else, has gone forever.

I know I will cop a load of flak for this post but I needed to get it off my chest.

Your friend in cardmodelling,
  2. barry

barry Active Member

sorry can't cope with this can't find anything in any of my threads I cannot filter out all the other stuff on here just too old to learn I will try looking in over the next few days.

I can't access any individual last post on anything other than the first page and on my machine it is as slow as paint drying.

I sincerely hope it all works out

best wishes

3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Yeah, it does kinda suck. What happened to that fundraiser where made $500+ ? We need it about now.
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

angevine, bazzer and paper warrior:

Believe me, I too regret what happened to the old site; in fact, this is the third site change I've seen since I've been a member here, and there is a bit of time before the site is up to snuff and running like before.

From what I understand, the move to this new host was not necessarily something actually planned, but the old host "pulled the plug", as has been said, with no apparent warning nor reason that I've been able to discern. Not sure what happened or why, but Peter, the resident fellow that puts this place together and keeps it running, put in long and hard hours to find a new host, put as much together from the old site as he could so we would have a place to meet. For that, I am very grateful, as I missed very much not being able to check in during the relatively small period of down time.

As one can imagine, pulling over all of the old threads to the new place has been a huge task and it's not done yet, but I have read it's being worked on and I have to believe Peter and the rest are doing the very best possible to complete the change.

One thing about this new site, it is the host to other hobby places which, if you log in from the blue, shows up on the "home page." If you take a few moments and go to your "User CP" page, the link for which you'll find at the far left of the top tool bar, and go to the left hand menu on that page, click the "Edit Options" menu item. Under "Miscellaneous Options" you'll see an "Exclude Forums" at the bottom. It takes a minute or two, but if you click on all of the other forum sites you don't want to visit when you log in (I found if I use the Crtl key as I click on each item it keeps all of the selections hightlighted until I'm ready to "Save Changes"), when you save these new settings the other forum messages will not be displayed when you log in or refresh your page next time.

Another thing, until they import all of the older threads your post count will only reflect the posts that actually exist now on the new site, which means when the older posts and threads are finally brought over that number should increase tremendously to reflect those posts now showing up in this new place. It's quite a job bringing all the old stuff over to this new place, but it should happen over time, we just need to be a little patient with the admins and moderators until they have the chance to get the job finished.

I'm not sure about the slow upload speed we are experiencing here, I know that even with a high speed provider that I am fortunate enough to have many times I experience a delay in getting a page loaded, but it does then load. I can imagine what it's like for those with dialup or slower service. Not sure why this is, maybe it's something to do with the software being used on this host site, but I understand Peter has been made aware of it and will look into it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to check in and see the new stuff that is being posted. I have to believe that, as always, this is our place to meet and share our love of this hobby together. I was elated when I first stumbled on to the original site, weathered a change to a new host and then another speed bump when the host shook the rafters for some reason or another. I am very willing to weather another typhoon in this host change because once we've got all the furniture back up off the floor, re-painted the house and it's up and running at full tilt once again I know we will all enjoy the same threads and mutual love of this hobby as we all did before.

I would love to have the admins look into some way of letting the members contribute what they can to pay for some upgrades to this forum, I would certainly not hesitate to contribute my fair share if they did. All I can say about that is if we raise it again once things are up perhaps they can look into what can be done in this department.

Hope to keep seeing you all here despite the current situation; I'm sure it will be once again what we enjoyed before, it will just take a little time.

5. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I posted this in another thread but thought it may be of some use here also.

Remember that you can turn off the other hobby lists (as pointed out above by Jim) and that it may take awhile to get everything back up to full speed again, but when it gets there this place will be better than ever!
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The move to this host has been in the planning for a while but Peter was in the middle of setting things up for the move.
    The reason things are missing and it's a little disorganized it because the host pulled the plug on the forum and Peter was not ready for the move yet. He did it anyway so we would have a place to meet and share.
    We should all be grateful for this forum instead of having a 404 error message.
    Things will be getting better all the time as things are fixed and threads restored and features are opened up for use like the Blogs and Wiki.

This forum will just keep getting better and better all the time here and I believe we will all be much happier here in the long run.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

To be honest... I think the other hobby subjects and this one are like great tasting food. By themselves are fine but I would not take them all and dump them in one bowl.

Sometimes one bowl is all you can afford or get a hold of when you need one in a hurry.
  8. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

As a quiet member I wish to express my appreciation for the effort that went in to once again rising to meet the emergency. I too hate change, however I have great respect for the guy who sees to it that the rest of us have our site up in a matter of hours. It looks strange now but face it we have been "evacuated" in an emergency fashion. Thanks Peter for the heroic effort. John
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice way to put it. Luckily in the control panel you can make it as together or separate as you want :)

Want to add a little sugar to the cereal you can do it! heh heh
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Is this a joke thread? I don't see any problem here that won't be fixed soon. My computer pops the site up instantly. Considering how little time has gone by I think Peter has done a great job. Save your belly aching. The way to post errors has been defined in the Moving thread. It would do good if you read your posts before you post them and just imagine if you did all the work and someone complained about your efforts. I don't do stamps but I sure do have a lot of RC stuff hanging around. Maybe an all paper RC vehicle is due. Eyes open ,ears click!!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Personally I want people to complain. Granted, I want them to do it nicely and so far everyone has been extremely civil about voicing their complaints and concerns. The reason I like to hear the issues is because that tells us where we need to focus efforts.
  12. 727engineer

727engineer New Member

We had a similar issue with a forum for motorsport in Australia, so one of the members started our own

I would like to thank everyone involved with keeping this place running as I would not have found my new addiction (card modelling) without it nor all of the great hints and tips that everyone is willing to share without prejudice!
    Thank you all for keeping us alive
  13. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Let's kwitcherbitchin about the new site, and get on with what we are here to do.

Peter and Rick have kept this site going on their own during the 5 years I have hung around here. They have done, I think, one H of a good job. And I offer my applause to them, as well as my ongoing support.

Maintaining a site like this requires an H of a lot of work. In addition, somebody has to pay to host it. And if Peter et al can find a better/cheaper/more reliable host, why should we complain? After all, who's been paying until now? Not us!!

And, as you see, we have a new site; which is actually multidisciplinary ("Incorporating multiple modeling techniques")

Let's back the new site! OK?

Peter: if you ever decide to do the TrainSim/Flight Sim route and charge a membership fee, I'll be the first in line.
  14. MAJOR

MAJOR Member

A change is as good as a rest.
    Praise to those who managed to get up and running, in what must have been difficult circumstances, in record time.
    To those of you who have worked so hard, i say. Thank you.
  15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

You got that part right, driver. :)
  16. gippolot

gippolot Member

Personally, I was truly very surprised at how quickly Peter got the movement to this site up and running after the initial breakdown. Many thanks for that.:thumb:

The point to remember, I believe, is that most of us, just click and read. We do not have to deal with the daily issues associated with keeping this forum, or database, or library, call it what you like, alive. A bit of tolerance and persistence from us, the readers, would be a big help.

Yes there are some problems. But so far this has only been for a few days. Please give admin' a bit of time to get issues sorted.

17. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

I didn't like what I saw when I first logged onto the new site. But it is getting better, and I appreciate all the hard work and time that is put into it. Thank you.
  18. josve

josve Active Member

Hello guys!!

I find the new site quite nice,only drawback are all the ads.....taking much space on the screen! And I also hope that the old postings will return sometimes.

And for all of you who cant navigate here....
    Use this link

And you'll be right in the forum :)
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Fear not, all threads are backed up in a zip file and they will all be restored.
    The move went through before Peter was ready to do it is all.
    If it had happened the way Peter had planned it, it would have been a very smooth transition.

As for speed, Peter will have to address that himself.
    I know he will address all of our complaints as the members happiness is his main concern.

20. angevine

angevine Member

Dear All,

When I started this thread I expected a few shots across my bows. Did'nt quite see the torpedoes aimed at my waterline!

I have no complaints with the Administrators or moderators, or infact anyone who is a member of

My issue was with the site in general. The speed in posting a thread and also the fact that searching for a thread realting to cardmodelling only takes forever, and i'm on a 8Mb Broadband line. Not mega fast, but fast enough.

Peter DID do an amazing job transfering the site, a task I can only imagine the nightmare of!

I have followed the tips and advise of fellow members and I will stick it out to see how it progresses.