Combining RC models with Flying model Rocketry?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Nitram68, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

In the never ending quest for speed my question is-Would it be possible/feasible to outfit an rc vehicle with large model rocket engines and be able to control the vehicle. Granted the only control of this vehicle would be steering and braking but could it be possible? Would vehicle weight be a major factor? Weight/thrust/top speed? I've seen other posts of vehicles doing major speed runs but given that I want to basically use thrust,a lot more power will be used toward motion and not be lost in a normal drive train. ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated! Even if you want to tell me I'm Totally nuts![}:)]
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

Hint: Long OPEN road, defenently have a radar gun handy so we can hear the speed.
  3. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

Mastmec,I agree that lots of road will be sucked up in a hurry but I'm still trying to figure out the best possible weight of a vehicle(right type of RC) versus the right engine. As for the radar,my father is a retired law officer and it will be no problem finding one of the guys to laugh his butt off while clocking it. Nothing like having a legally certified radar gun on my side! Untill then I am still looking for any other input on this idea,these might help me design for the worst case scenario.:)
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

in a old rc book they had hooked a engine up 2 a tmaxx and it got major air. Maybe use a pan chassis, use weights in the front of it, good road tires with hard foam inserts, alot of reinforceing would have to be done, maybe for extra stiffness a light alumium chassis maybe?? and Instead of 1 rocket engine try 2 #@$% WHY NOT EVEN MORE THEN 2[}:)]
  5. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

dj6- Thanks for the info! As the Borg on Star Trek would say-information assimilated. I think you are onto something with a pan chassis,maybe an old electric that still has working shocks and still has good enough steering to get a servo hooked to. If I go with that setup though I'll have to find a way to rig some brakes. The wife of one of my friends was joking and suggested a parachute to stop it. She thought I was really crazy when I said that it was a good idea. I really would like to have brakes and leave the parachute as a last resort.:D
  6. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Find a way to rig an old nitro RC10GT it is somewhat of a pan chassis. Its the only thing I can think of...

Good luck!
  7. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

I would like to find one but everyone I know is still using theirs as a fully functional RC. Even if I can find an ancient one as long as I can get the electronics to work on it somehow I really don't care how old it is. ANYONE want to GET RID of something on this order,I'm willing to try anything once.:D I'm really hoping to find something with somewhat of a working suspension. At the speeds I think this can reach it'll need to be able to suck up the bumps without loosing all control. I know I'm going to start with some smaller rocket engines like the "A" size but I think it'll wind up having the "D" size,and of course I want to try to get mutiple stages of thrust.
  8. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I dont think a rc10gt chassis would work to well because there is some resistance from the gears and stuff in the transmition, if you were to gut it out I think it would work better becuase it would be lighter and also you would want it to be arodinamic so it would go faster so you would need to move the shocks up higher on the shock tower so it would sit lower to the ground, and it woul,d see be able to take bumps. The reason I was thinking of a pan chassis is because most of them or at least the old 1's have direct drive where the motor pinon is connected to a spur gear which is right on the drive shaft, no transmition, means less drag. You can take out the motor and there it would be free. To try and slow the gt I cant really think of anything right at this moment
  9. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

Anything I get I think it would have to be gutted anyway and re-engineered for this project. I know I will have to make an area to place the engine. I do have an idea to contain the engines allready. I will have to use steel tubes as a mount which will have one end capped,this will give the engine something to use when it comes time for normal parachute deployment it will instead eject the spent engine. Upon this happening it will somehow trip the parachute and I won't have to worry about the hot engine setting the 'chute ablaze! The more info I get from people the bigger the design list is getting to be-not that it is a bad thing,it helps work out the little problems that could occur. I have been looking at electric chassis's too. Some of them look promising for this!
  10. Ron Olson

Ron Olson Member

There are Estes rocket type of dragsters available. One person that I know build one and currently holds the World record in it's class. I didn't know that they even had a class or racing for them until I saw his displayed at a LHS.
  11. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

-I didn't know this either,but the dragsters I have heard about are line guided. I am attempting to control this one by radio,granted steering will be the greatest use but I am trying to incorporate braking,parachute launching,and even onboard ignition. I am also planning to use engines that will self eject to remove the heat source so the 'chute hopefully won't catch on fire. It would be a funny site but I want more than a couple of runs. If you find a site with these "classes" could you put them in a post or give a link so I can get more info? Much Thanks!:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.