colt 1851 navy

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Nothing, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

That powder flask is "nothing" short of remarkable! Perhaps you should contract with Gutzmer to sell your work through Ecardmodels. It is worth paying for. Even though I own the real thing, your model would make an incredible display piece. I'll purchase one.
  2. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i appreciate the kind remarks!:thumb: ive finished testing the accesories. now ill start on the case while i wait for pics on the gun.
  4. mauther

mauther Active Member

Finest model. Really impressive. Congratulations!
  5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Absolutely gorgeous!

Absolutely gorgeous nothing!

My hats off to you. A handgun is very near the top of my build list, and when you release this with a display case and everything, it's gonna jump o the top.

Lookin forward to building this (and a three foot galactica :)

6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thank you mauther, and SJ! im looking forward to seeing you build the 3' G. i hope you will start a thread.
  7. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

a little progress on the test build
    185111 001.jpg

185111 002.jpg
  8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

you know, when I was 12, I saved 3 months allowance to buy a plastic kit of this model. It was one of my favorite models. I'm really looking forward to this one to replace my long ago lost one.
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thats pretty cool.

my first major hurdle is done. a moveable hammer.

1851111 002.jpg

1851111 003.jpg
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

startin to look like somethin now!
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

cylinder went better than i thought. it is a bit tricky.
    185111111 001.jpg

185111111 002.jpg
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

How does the inside of that cylinder build up? Do you have a couple formers in there to hold the chambers in the proper place and in alignment?
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

sorry, I'm confused, did it go better than you thought or was it tricky [to build]? your statement seems a bit contradictory.

Anyway I'm still excited about this model. I imagine a few layers of cardboard in the cylinder and handle will go a long way to making this model sturdy enough for some handling and use.

Are you planning to make the model such that is exactly like the real gun, aka, you can take it apart and re-assemble to clean it, etc.??

14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

lets see,
    the cylinder doesnt have any formers, the shot wells take up most of the space. the structure of the rear wall makes it pretty strong. combined with the central tube the cylender is fairly robust.

yes and yes. not really a contradictory statement:) it is bit tricky on the rear of the cylender with all the curved peices. and i was expecting to have to rework the rear which i did not so it went better than anticipated.

right now i have the hammer being moveable(up or down) the cylinder and barrel assembly can be taken apart via the breakdown latch(square hole) and hopefully i can get the load lever to work. the pins should all be removable ex- the pin holding the hammer can be removed.

15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

OUCH!!! My jaw just bounced off my desktop...bloody nice work indeed. The rendition of the heat treatment of the frame and hammer is outstanding.

16. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

looking really g mate look forward to future updates :thumb:
  17. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

Attached Files:

18. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

is that the commemoritive or his actual gun? either way detailed references for are slim to none. whered you find these pics? are there more?
  19. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

how dissapointed would anyone be if you couldnt break it down?
  20. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member