Coloring software of choice

Discussion in 'Software' started by cgutzmer, May 22, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all!

I am going to try and learn how to recolor models. I would like to know what software everyone uses to design and color their models. We seem to have a lot more budding designers around here than we used to so I wanted to see where everyone stood for software of choice. I know that there are TONS of different applications out there but if I can find some software that maybe a majority of designers use it might help more people (like me) to decide what application to try and learn. In my case I would like to know so that if I have a question there might be more people that could help answer the questions because of familiarity with the application.

So in short, please let me know what apps you use to design/color. if someone else mentions the one that you use please still mention it again - its how I will figure counts. I will update this first post with counts as we go along. I considered making a poll but I really have no idea what software to put as options....

I should also mention if you are handy with imaging software and might make a good reference even though you dont make card models with your knowledge that would be awesome to know too!
    Thanks all,
    Chris - 1
    Wood workshop - 1
    Paint shop pro any version - 5
    Corel Draw - 3
    MS Paint - 2
    GIMP - 5
    Photoshop CS - 5
    Photoshop elements - 2
    ghostscript - 1
    inkscape - 1
    Rhino - 2
    pepakura - 1
  2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

GASP! Free? I was planning on trying to finish soemthing up in a trial period - free is cool ;)

Thanks man!
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Paint Shop Pro, first, last, always and only. I use version 6 and 8.
    Have Photoshop and Illustrator but they run slow on my 401mhz dinosaur.
    Corel Draw is also awesome. And believe it or not, Microsoft Paint, which any windows user has.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I was defintely considering PSP given the magis you have worked on the porter. I totally hear you on the illustrator dogging your machine - it takes mine 3-5 minutes to open..... I will note both versions in my list :)
  6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Don't forget the GIMP.

7. airbob

airbob Member

I use Photoshop CS.....I have been using it for 2 years and feel that I have probably learned about 25% of its it is WONDERFUL!...(and pricey!)...but my wife bought it for me! son put a new motherboard in my computer-I think is has as 427c.i. V8 with dual quads!....I have no...absolutly no idea about what speed it is...I just "dumbly" use it!!!
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

So far the only commonality is that there is no commonality! heh heh

I reacall some time ago someone mentioned why illustrator is a better choice than photoshop but I stink at searching and cant find it. Off for some more looking! :D
    Thanks all!
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'm learning GIMP since I just switched my laptop to Linux. And, surfduke told me it's what he uses... (Sorry to steal your thunder Carl)
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Corel draw v10, paintshop pro v8, win2pdf for exporting other files as editable pdfs, opened and edited in coreldraw. Rhino v4 for modelling and unrolling surfaces. Pepakura for unwrapping 3D meshes.

Stick with one program for each discipline (vector, bitmap, 3D) and get good at it!

11. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Just looked at Wood Workshop. I've spent hours trying to create wood with Photoshop: it's fun, but takes forever and sometimes I am not thrilled with the results. Wood Workshop is amazing! But (sob) I have a Mac, not a Windows machine, and my bank account isn't ready for one of the new Mac Intels. Boo hoo!
  12. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I've been doing pc graphics since my first pc - an IBM PC Jr! - back in the mid 1980s. At that time pc graphics were so new, I had to write my own graphics app! At that time, a powerful new pc might have "CGA" graphics (three colors plus black). Creating detailed graphics in those pre-mouse days was a bit of a challenge.

I've been using Photoshop for years. It's so flexible, powerful and has so many tools and options that very few people ever learn or use (or need) more than half of it. But the price, learning curve, and hardware requirements are all high. The best seldom comes cheaply.

As is so often the case, the important thing is not necessarily which exact tool you use, but how you use it. If you are just learning to drive, an F-1 racer is probably not a good choice. A farm tractor will do just fine. The best graphics app in the world will be of little use to a beginner, while someone with good artistic sensibilities and some knowledge of color and light can create a nice graphic scratching a stick in the dirt. My best advice to beginners is to start with something basic (and cheap!). As your skills outgrow your app, move up until you reach the level you want to work at.

I think that' s very wise advice. Once you settle on your basic tools, really learn their full capabilities and build expertise.

Thank you, Paperbeam, for the link to Wood Workshop. I'm checking it out right now. I find wood textures challenging to create from scratch in Photoshop (although the new "fibers" command is useful). Wood Workshop looks promising! Great tip, thank you!
  13. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Well, I started off using MS Paint that came with my computer. The Battlestar Galactica series on Jon Leslies site all were done that way.

I tried Paintshop Pro, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work.

Then Chip from FG recommended Photoshop Elements to me, and also taught me how to use it. That's all I use now.

Now I just need to learn Rhino3d. How do you get past the 25 saves only for the demo? Without actually having to mortgage the house for it.
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super! thanks for all the input :) I will get that first post updated with tally marks tomorrow :) my kids want me to read :D
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

You Might Want to Try This...,

Tim is right about learning a particular application well. One thing that's really important to the learning curve is the number of tutorials available for your choice especially if they're free. Old copies of software, while not the latest and greatest, are availble on ebay at affordable rates. I think that you also must factor in whether learning a particular package has any value towards improving your employment picture in which case Adobe products have a near monopoly. That being said the following package is almost an Adobe Illustrator knockoff and has the added benefit of being free. It's a Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) based drawing package allowing complete command of 2D redraws. It can be found here;

A little artwork from the Inkscape home page:

P.S. It runs on PCs or Macs and your choice of O/S...,
  16. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I'm going to throw my couple of pennies behind GIMP. Coupled with Ghostscript, you can open pdf files, edit and print. I used it to remove the legs of the snowy owl and recolour the Epson alphabet letters (very simple jobs really). I had trouble with resizing when I converted one page of the owl to a jpg. Whatever I did, the conversion and subsquent printing changed size. With GIMP and Ghostscipt, it went perfectly!
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I use Photoshop myself, it being the devil I know.
  18. summerson84

summerson84 New Member

Photoshop CS 2!!

One of the most power image editting softwares out there.. I learned a few things about layers and stuff from my friend when I was still in my teens and even then, the stuff you could create with photoshop was amazing.

Now with even newer technology and utilities, the limits are your imagination.
  19. 46rob

46rob Member

I started out using Photoshop Elements 2.0. I prefer it to later versions, as it looks and feels more like Photoshop than the later versions (haven't looked at 5.0) I wrote a tutorial on recoloring and posted it on FG's website. __it was too large to fit into the part's bin here. Card Models-RobCarleen.pdf
    I've since moved up to CS2, but PE will more than fit the bill.

PSP, Corel, GIMP, are all good--it's what you're already comfortable with that counts. I recolored my first model, using that little Potoshop Deluxe program that was bundled with my printer--so you don't really need a big and complex program to recolor--although it was much more difficult than using PE.
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well given the input here, I think I will give illustrator cs or photoshop cs a try. I am fairly familiar with photoshop 6 from the olden days so hopefully it wont be much of a jump. I have dabbled in illustrator cs making new scale cubes too. I will do some research on differences between the two and report back :)