Coloring Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Toddlea, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

I really enjoyed hosting the last contest. Being a graphic artist, I thought would like to host a contest that captures one of my passions. After an excellent suggestion from the poll, I think an old fashioned coloring contest would be fun.

So here are a few simple rules:

Recolor a model that was originally published uncolored.
    The only exception to previous rule is if model is published in color but also has a white version. Example: Fiddlers Green & Yamaha. Model can be from a free source or published. Another exception is if model is stripped of its color so only keyline remains.... So I guess that means, just recolor a model.

All subjects are welcome.

Publish finished photos here. Build threads are not required, but are appreciated.

Enter as many models as you wish.

Contest ends December 31, 2008 23:59:59 PST.

That's it. No other rules. Extra parts, modifications and creativity are all fare game.

The only other suggestion is if recolored models are uploaded or distributed, obtain publisher permission.

Prizes will be announced at a later date.

Good luck and start coloring!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Any reason a colored model cant be taken be completely recolored? It would achieve the same result but allow for more models.... If anyone has links to uncolored models you might want to share too :)
  3. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Good suggestion. Rules updated.
  4. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Hope this helps everyone,
    I believe all tank models, but all in white, it says they're free for download :)

Hope everyone participates!

Just to make sure: Toddlea, I can take a model, strip it to white, then add my own colors?!?!?! Now that'll be sweet, I'll get working right away!

By the way, do we have to build the recolored model?

Sorry for all the questions, but I tend to get pretty messed up if I'm not sure :wave:
  5. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

6. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

That was the idea but I guess you don't have to.
  7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

8. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

I'm in...

I'll be re-coloring the Girraffe from the Canon site.

The model can be found here.

Attached Files:

9. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

10. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Does the model have to be colored digitally or can it be painted the old fashoned way with paints and a brush?:confused:
  11. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Photoshop, paint, charcoal, crayons, Anything you like.
    Model does not have to be from a digital form.
  12. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Just so I understand this correctly... you're basically ignoring the majority of the feedback from the poll and going ahead with a comp based on a couple of comments in the poll thread?

I was looking forward to entering the next comp, but this idea wasn't even in the list of poll options, it would fall under the "other" category, which last time I looked hadn't recieved a hell of a lot of votes.

Also, if you plan to recolour someone elses work, it sometimes pays to obtain permission from the designer. You should add that to your rules somewhere, or to save confusion, remove it as an option.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket (I'm saying this cos I sortof feel like I am) but this just isn't what I was expecting based on the direction the poll was heading.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I suggested it just because there arent all that many white model downloads... but yes, permission is a must if recoloring someone elses work!
  14. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm not knocking the contest idea itself, I think it's a good one, just not my cup of tea.
    The majority of feedback and poll votes however were heading in a different direction to the idea that was used in the end, and the poll had hardly even been going more than a couple of days.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Not quite into re-colours yet but this looks like a good chance to practice! ^O^
  16. How exciting, the first contest here I'm going to partitipate in.

Though, if you recolor it, you only have to ask permission if you actually post the plans, not just for a picture of your finished model, right?
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well no, not really.... some designers are really touchy about their models. It would be best to ask first if you plan on posting a picture.

As a suggestion if you plan on recoloring a model when you ask for permission tell the designer that after you are done you will give him the color scheme and full rights to the model. That could accomplish two things - it would let the designer know you really like the model and possibly open you up for future collaboration with the designer if he likes your work :)
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

A question....
    Can we use a model that we recolored before the start of the contest? If so then I might have a go with a corsair I repainted from Marek :) I have been meaning to beta build the darn thing :)
  19. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Can I recolor a model of my own?
  20. I think I'll go with the Battle Droid from DPileggi, recoloring it to a pilot, security and commander. I first need to build the 'standard' one first so I know how it fits together. :mrgreen:

Unfortunaly his site isn't active anymore, so I can't ask him for permission. I think it isn't such a big problem, I'm not planning to publish the plans and he'll get all the credit for the model.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.