Color Scheme for my Son's Room

MammaGehl

Jun 13, 2006
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to paint a room for my two boys. The older one is not even two yet but he LOVES his trains, plays with them all day long.

I want to paint a 'racing stripe' around the room and was hoping to mimic a cool looking train stripe. We would prefer either New York Central or a Maryland based train, since that is where we are from, but if there is another train pattern that is just too good to pass up that would be good to know about. I have been searching and found one B&O train that has a neat looking brown and gold stripe, but I thought I would check in with the experts to see if there was something else.

Thanks in advance!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
New York Central used a "lightning stripe" scheme for their passenger equipment. The diesels were painted grey with 3 lighter grey stripes runing length wise on the side of the locomotive with a sort of "Z" shape in the center of the car body. I think the NYC lightning strip would be interresting for a room, especially if you used some brightly colored window treatments and perhaps matching bed spreads to add color to the room.

MammaGehl

Jun 13, 2006
hmmmm, that lightning stripe could look great! I picked up a NY Central lantern at an auction for his room and it is red, so I could do a red and black room - that could look really neat - Thanks!

Nomad - I am not familiar with much train terminology, what are the SP daylight colors?

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
NYC colors? Two-tone gray! It's classic. There were three variations...
1938...Light gray...top & bottom...with four thick dark gray stripes in the middle...
NYC_Hudson2.jpg

And...
cil-38-3.JPG

That's the locomotive...all the cars matched the tender stripping. Definitely the most famous streamlined passenger train scheme of all time.

Within a year, they switched to thinner strips in the middle.

In 1948, the went to the less attractive 2-stripe variety. Dark gray on the outsides and light in the middle.
NYC26-48.jpg

For Maryland RRs, there was the B&O...the Western Maryland, and several others which passed through...like the Pennsy. The 1938 20th Century Limited is the classic.

EDIT: The models are from CHALLENGER IMPORTS, LTD. NYC 1938 20th Century Limited brass model passenger train at UNCLE DAVE'S
and
NYC 1948 20th Century Limited