color laser printer recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Drewbot47, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Drewbot47

Drewbot47 New Member

I'm considering adding a color laser printer to my set-up at home and was wondering if anybody has any particular recommendations. I've read mixed things on the HP Laserjet 1600/2600/3600 (some great reviews, some decidedly mediocre reviews) and some good things about the Xerox 6120. And mixed things on the Lexmark C532n (Cnet raved about it but nobody else seems to be impressed).

It's all so confusing! :)

But it would be nice to have color option at home.

I'm not all that interested in ink-jets however.

Thanks for any advice!

2. shrike

shrike Guest

The short answer, from a card modeling perspective at least, is to become interested in inkjets.
    Laser printers fuse toners on the surface of the paper, and while this makes for high speed and pretty presentations on a flat surface, the toner tends to flake off when the paper is bent or folded.
  3. fimdan

fimdan Member

Are you going to print models on such a printer? If so I would sick to ink based printers. I have experimented with laser printers and from what I see they are not very good. The toner usually stays right on paper's surface and does not bind too well. As a consequence, it is very easy see cracks when parts need to be bent, folded etc. This what I have experienced about 2 years ago. Maybe now laser printers are a little better. Not sure. If you won't print paper models, than I am sure that a printer like that would work well for you. Have fun shopping!!!

Edit: Good timing Shrike:)

4. Drewbot47

Drewbot47 New Member

Hmmm...hadn't really thought about toner flaking off as I've never had that problem with my b/w laserjet. Maybe I'll have to get both a color laser for general purposes and an inkjet just for models...

Thanks for the comments - appreciate it!

5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

The only way around the flaking problem that I know of is to coat the parts with a clear laquer spray before cutting/assembly, but this adds to the weight of the model and can seriously stiffen parts, making them difficult to fold.
  6. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I have a Konica-Minolta 2300W that I paid $300 for. If you set the paper type to Heavy Stock, the ink doesn't flake off as bad. It takes a litter longer to print versus regular paper. It comes with 2500 sheet cartridges. Toner cartridges are a little steep at $100 each, but those are 15,000 sheet high capacity cartridges, I've had a hi-cap black in for a year and haven't even put a dent in it, and all I print are black & white models (designing). I think it was a good investment.
  7. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

In my office we have a Ricoh color laser printer/copier. When we purchased the printer my first thought was that I had done something really nice in my last life and was getting rewarded. After using the printer I have come to all of the conclusions that the other members have stated plus these additional observations. Color lasers are not what I would call “Photo” quality printers, maybe it’s just the Ricoh but I have also seen this in other color lasers. Lasers do not seen to handle color gradients well, color gradients is where the base color is darker in one area and lighter in others. What the laser prints is a series of bands with very distinct borders. The other issue is even printing at what is supposed to 600 dpi the detail is not as good on a laser as an inkjet.

Jim Nunn