Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DougMorency, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougMorency

DougMorency New Member

I just printed out the PDF on Grey cardstock and I will be cutting it out tomorrow duing my wifes last craft fair.

So far it looks GREAT :)

I will take pics tonight and tomorrow as it comes together and I will post when I get home tomorrow night.

2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Great! I'm glad some stepped up to do this. I'd have liked to but same as most of us, I'm too busy as is.

Look forward to seeing this.
  3. DougMorency

DougMorency New Member

I few ideas for improvements

I am currently cutting out the parts and marking the parts on the inside of each of the cut peices to make the assembly easier.

I find the tabs are too small for gluing, but that just may be me :)

I am cutting tabs from scraps to glue on the inside of the helmet, as well as cutting off the small tabs.

I was wondering if it would be possible to either create larger joining tabs, or gluing stips for the inside of the helmet.....

I will post some pics very soon

4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

No, you're not alone there, Doug.

I'm doing the BETA build along with you and have already discovered the tabs are set too small for a comfortable build. Currently I have them set at 1mm and they really need to be 2mm or 3mm.

Advanced modelers (or folks who just like to build that way) will probably want to do cut strips in place of the tabs for more edge-to-edge smoothness.

I'm also finding some spots I may have to go back and change where Pepakura did the cut lines... what looks good on the screen does not necessarily translate into "easy to build".

I'll post some pics on a separate thread- been working on my Christmas Village tonight.
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm about halfway done with my beta build of the helmet... I'll post some pics later tonight. Going together fairly well so far, actually!
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looking forward to it.:thumb:
  8. Master-Bruce

Me too. Can't wait to see some pics. :)
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Ask and ye shall receive...

(These came out yellowish for some reason. Probably the lighting in my living room at night. I'll take some more tomorrow. The helm is actually that golden brownish color from the original- I lifted it straight off of the reference pics to get a good match.)

Almost complete, just the upper light band and the bird emblem left to do.

Front Left:

Front Right:

So far, things have went together fairly well. The light bars on the chinguard are a PITA, and I will probably change the angles on those to be more flat. wall1

I can see a few places, like on the back side of the main "stripe" side pieces, that will need cardboard backing for stiffness. Surprisingly though, for the size of the helmet, it's fairly sturdy even without formers. :thumb:

I'd definately recommend coloring the inside black... not that noticeable when it's on, but for display... :rolleyes:

I think the parts layout for assembly is about the best I can get it within the constraints of Pepakura.

Sizewise... it fits my head quite... generously. So some folks may need to scale it down.

Okay, I'm rambling.

Whatcha think?
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

BLAH! I was gonna post these pics on a separate thread...

Sorry for hijacking yours, Doug! :oops:
  11. Master-Bruce

LOVE IT!! Great model. Personally I think it's missing something. A wearer! LOL :) How about a mug shot?

Just kiddin'. It looks fantastic.
  12. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Respect is due :thumb:

13. DougMorency

DougMorency New Member

Not a Problem, I have not had a chance to get more done on mine, due to stuff at work and a major dumping of snow here in Ottawa :)

I hope to get more done soon.

14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

BEAUTIMOUS! Love it. Man you really are a creative lot!:thumb:
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks CJTK.

Finished with the Beta build of the helm. All in all, I'm pleased, and have only had to make (relatively) minor adjustments to the 3D mesh/layout.

The bird emblem is definately the trickiest part of this whole thing- careful attention to detail is a must on this part.

For my Beta builds, I use CA glue to make for quick assembly, and I will NOT be doing that with the final model. Too many "blot spots".

Final photos:

Front View:

Right View:

Left View:

Okay, now it's your turn, Doug and Red. Let's have some feedback! :mrgreen:
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Dude That ROCKS! When are you gonna post it? I gotta have me one of those. Geez, I better start building some of what I have Doh!
  17. Master-Bruce

Beautiful! I think it would be cool to have more 1:1 scale models out there. Especially props, like this.

I'm thinkin' Judge Dredd Helmet!! I might look into that.

Great model Ekuth! Thanks.
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

What about a Batman mask? :D
  19. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

skupilkinson A Judge Dredd helmet would be great if you get time in between everything else!. Maybe you could do one more like the 2000Ad comic version rather than the films although either would be great there is already 1:1 versions of both Lawgivers, the Lawmaster bike would make a nice model too although maybe not 1:1 scale...then again!
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Awesome build!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.