Colonial Warrior Viper Helm Design Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have Gearz to thank for showing me the ins and outs of Metasequoia and the finer points of designing and vetting for Pepakua.

So far, it's actually been fairly easy to design. We'll see how it translates to Pepakura, though.

To do:

1. Detail Texture of Emblem
    2. Detail Texture of front part of Chin Guard
    3. Texture and/or parts to simulate light bands.

Which brings up a question... which would you guys rather see? The light bands are simple rope lights on the top and bottom, not too hard to make these with LED's and plastic tubing to run off a 9v. (Much simpler than the scanning eye was for the Cylon helm!)

So, would you prefer an indented area where this could be glued into place, or would you prefer a textured card simulation of the lights (basically a 1/2 round tube glued in the appropriate spots)?

Or, an option for both?
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I'd go for an option of the two. It leaves the both possibilities there to suit each builder.

Any chance of a New Galactica Helmet? They're nice too. ;) OR a New Cylon head in 1:1, kinda like a bust model.
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Lemme finish the helm here before I start thinking about other stuff. I'm also waiting to hear back from Bazookajo about helping to finish the TOS Cylon armor suit, so if he agrees, that's next on the plate.

Although someone a few posts back mentioned the colonial pistol and the Cylon rifle... those should be easy projects. Pics, please?
  4. Master-Bruce

I know, I can get carried away sometimes. Sorry. :)

I'm about to go to bed. When I get up though I can get some reference for you if you like?

I happen to know that there's a mesh available of the Colonial Blaster at It's in the download section, you have to be a registered member to get it. Though it may be good to base a new mesh off of?

It'd be great if you were onboard to assist Paul with the armor. Can't wait to see a finished build from it.
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i think its a max file. or another one. its a format i cant use or convert.
  6. Master-Bruce

I didn't know. It's no good to me either then. :(
  7. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

8. Master-Bruce

Great site. They have Blue Thunder!!!! Shame it's in Poser format. Anyone know how to convert Poser to say .OBJ or .3DS??
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i have poser, let me pull it out and ill look into it.
  10. Master-Bruce

Great, Cheers.

I've seen some nice little meshes for potential future projects. No BSG I'm afraid but there was a nice looking Drakonian Marauder from Buck Rogers to name but one.
  11. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Hi I dont know if you have found it yet but the interactive gallery on the vanishing point site lets you view the models in 3d and look around them
    the Blue Thunder is paticulary impressive.
  12. Master-Bruce

I did miss that. I'd like to download some meshes from there but I don't know how toconvert them from Poser to something like .OBJ
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Final Texturing Done

Finished the final texturing for the details of the helm, chinguard and emblem. I'm pretty pleased with how the bird emblem turned out, considering the complexity. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Top View:

Helm Top View.jpg

Side View:

Helm Side View.JPG

Emblem Detail:

Emblem Detail.JPG

Chinguard Underside Detail:

Chin Detail Underside.JPG

Next up, the light bands, and then on to Pepakura for vetting and pulling apart into parts.

14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

One more pic, showing how I've actually designed it as a seires of sub-assemblies. In the exploded diagram you see each part is a separate object, which will then be glued into place.

Exploded View.jpg

You see what I mean by having to think ahead as to how the model will ultimately be assembled.
  15. Master-Bruce

Good stuff!

I know what you mean about parts breakdown and forward thinking. I too learned that the hard way. ;)

It's all lookin' good to me.
  16. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

I LIKE IT!!!! :mrgreen:

The beauty of things like this is that it brings a whole new audience to paper modelling - I know there are a number of BSG fans waiting for just something like this.

We'll just have to make sure they know it's available.

Fantastic and very expedient work Ekuth :thumb:

Best regards

17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Light Bars Done!

Thanks, Bazookajo! Glad you like it.

Last update of the evening.

Finished the light bars, and as per request, have (and will) create two options for these. One will be the colored version pictured below, and the second will be a solid version, where the light bar parts are colored the same as the main helm color.

This will enable the more ambitious of us to use these as an affixture area for the actual lighting (rope, or whatever we come up with. My brain is percolating on that now...)

I experimented with a variety of different textures before settling on this one, which is a direct grab off of one of the reference pictures. I'm fairly happy with the way it looks.

Bottom view showing the upper light bar and a bit of the bottom:

Light Helm1.JPG

Top down view showing the bottom light bar:

Light Helm2.JPG

Close up detail shot of the upper light bar:

Light Helm3.jpg

So, unless someone can point out something I've missed, I'd say the Metasequoia section is DONE!

On to Pepakura!
  18. Master-Bruce

Looks amazing buddy. For such a short space of time too. You've done a great job.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The rounded one looks like the Galactica 80 bike helmet. ... eep.
  20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Volunteers needed! Sign up for the Colonial Warrior Viper Program NOW!

Alright you nuggets, the BETA file is done and I'm looking for three lucky volunteers for the BETA build...

Any takers?

Must start a build thread and post pics. Must give honest feedback. Must like Cylons better than Colonials. :mrgreen:

Drop me a PM with your email and I'll shoot you the PDF.