Colonial Warrior Viper Helm Design Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Soooooo.... I got the bug bad due to Bazookajo's Cylon Armor.

And as loyal to the Cylon Empire as this centurion is, drills will get terribly boring without something to use for target practice.

So here's a sneak peak at my latest bout of insanity:

This is only a rough file done in Meta, but I think I got the basic shape right.

Whatcha all think?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Lookin cool! :D
  3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Super! I mentioned a model of this a while back. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks. ;)
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm surprised at how quickly this is going...

Added the comm mike and the right and left HUD panels:

Front Side View:

Rear Side View:

Next up, the bird emblem crest (although I may just texture this if it gets too complex... lol). :mrgreen:
  5. Master-Bruce

I like it. Is this going to be a 1:1?
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

You betchyer fuzzy daggits!
  7. Master-Bruce

Outstanding. Lookin' forward to it. Good luck with the crest. Hope it comes off Ok.
  8. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Looking great! Maybe someone could do a Colonial Blaster Pistol to go with it? look forward to seeing how this goes.
  9. clif52

clif52 Banned

I love the helmet. A great addition to the Cylon head from BazookaJoe. I'd love to build a set for my office. My boss will probably say take it home dude. Oh Yeah! The Colonial Blaster to go with the helmet. Theres a resin kit of it out there, but way out of my price range. I've been collecting photos of the blaster and the Cylon blaster rifle. From time to time a new photo pops up that I haven't seen. Good luck with the helmet. It looks great so far.

10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

More progress

Got the bird emblem roughed out. Now THAT was a PITA. wall1

11. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I would like to learn how to design card models. I have some figures from Doom in mind. Is there a reference source out there that can show me the way. I have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. But, I have yet to learn how to use them.

Finally, regarding your helmet; if you incorporated smaller polygons would that result in a smoother curved texture? Is it even an option to do this?
  12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Oh, I could easily make the curved surfaces smoother- Metasequoia will do it for you automatically.

The thing is, there's a huge difference in making a great looking mesh and making one that will eventually be pulled apart for cardmodeling. I learned that the hard way working on the Rodger Young.

Too many curves or smoothing in Metasequoia = a very unhappy Pepakura.

Pepakura is the program that unfolds the mesh and flattens the parts to build the actual card model. So, I have to keep in mind as I work in Meta what will eventually happen with Pep.
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Last Update of the Evening

Preliminary texture work:

14. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Wow, that helmet looks great so far :thumb: I found these online and thought you might be able to use them for the eagle.

Attached Files:

15. Master-Bruce

Lookin' great Ekuth! It's coming along fast too.

57townsman, Isn't that the Galactica 80 helmet. I think it was different to the TOS Galactica. I could be wrong though.
  16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

The top and bottom pics in the set he posted are the TOS helmet, but you are correct about the middle ones. That helmet is from the god-awful Galactica 1980 series.
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

let us not speaketh of that series again.amen.
  18. Master-Bruce

Wilco. I agree with that buddy.
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

More Texturing Work

Completed the basic geometery of the emblem, filling in the wing areas.
    Also completed texturing of the stripe pattern along the curved sides of the helmet (which was FUN, let me tell you... :curse:).

I HATE texturing curved surfaces in Meta...

Other than some finishing texture work, I think this puppy is almost ready to go to Pepakura vetting...
  20. Master-Bruce

It's looking great! And in such a short space of time too.