Colonial Movers Thread Construction with Detailings and Some Improvements.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gomidefilho, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Thank you very much friends!

Today I am beginning the work in the container 5 that is blue, soon I will be posting some thing for you to see...

2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Glad this project is moving again mate lol Its been very interesting to follow ~ Excellent work on that container!!. :thumb::thumb:

BTW.. Never apologise for your English Pericles .. Its my native language and i cant speal proper enyways. Your excellent work and posts don't suffer one bit from translation hiccups.!
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You're welcome Pericle's and What he ^^^ said too.:mrgreen:
  4. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Thank you friends!

Gearz I worry the times why am with fear of not doing the personnel to understand me. Hehehehe!

Soon news of the last and tedious two containers... :twisted:
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Can't wait, you're really going to town on this. Tell me you can't make a paper mode look as good as a styrene model and I'll point ya to this thread!:thumb:
  6. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Some/Most of the time a paper model looks better!

I principally model with (cough, hack, sputter) in pl*st1c, and my motives usually center around an eventual non-paper version (which is yet to happen, hah!). The smallest detail I can construct with hand tools is 1mm on each side. Slightly smaller if we're talking about punched discs, or slices of a prism or rod, but even those cannot be aligned side by side much closer than 1mm on center. But with paper, want a row of precisely aligned rivets or access doors, its a snap. Want to create a dense cluster of greeblies, also easy.

And not all of us are talented artists with an airbrush. It can take me weeks to reproduce the complex paneling on a star trek ship with either hand cut masks, pricey after market masking sets, or pricey decal sheets. But when a paper model is assembled, its done. You can gloss or dull coat it, perhaps some weathering, but its complete. Additional 3-D relief, of course, is the model maker's choice.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I too primarily model in that medium, but you're right in your assesments of the qualities of paper / card modeling and difficulty of gaining the same results in styrene, not to mention the costs involved with plastic.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Same here. If I want a fancy paintjob, I make a paper model. When I want greebles, I make a plastic one. :)
  9. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

In my country a great discussion exists among the modelers about the "viability" of the paper as appropriate media for a model. And the opinions are very passionate why the plastic modelers of here don't consider the paper model a quality model, mentality that we are changing in Brazil. I admit that I was a little surprised of seeing that discussion here (if I translated correctly). I eat a retired plastic modeler can say that the reasons that made to abandon me the plastic, are the danger the health, the space lack, the high cost of some materials and the universal democratization that the paper models provide.sign1
    I think the paper models can be gotten better yes, besides with paintings in airbrush and the paper accepts that in a way much better than the plastic for having a larger range of paints than in the plastic models. I use hidrocolor pens and colored pencil for personal subjects and why not to say philosophical, why have the whole material to do plastic models kept a good compressor and four airbrush besides. Then Ajmadison if you look right here at the forum, excellent examples of beautiful models that were done with those techniques exists and to mine to see kept the due proportions don't owe almost anything for many plastic models (I especially Mention the Galactica of Ekuth and a ship of Babylon V that I don't remind which now...) :thumb:
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Mmm... I guess its a matter of taste.. The hardcore P******* guys tend to turn their noses up at card models, but there's one general argument thats hard to beat. ~ We can have a model of ANYTHING ~ not just some profit popularised subjects that the wicked P****** men see fit to dole out. This colonial movers model is a good example. Excellent work Péricles!

11. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I run into this all the time over at Starship Modeler. Someone says, I want a model of XXX. Either it doesn't exist in plastic at all, or there's one kit with a price tag that belongs on a small car. BUT... there's a gorgeous version available in card (someones two). I mention the card version, and the original poster goes, phewie! Not plastic. I want to reply with the below statement, but hold my tongue, in order to keep the conversation civil:

"You are a MORON. 1. The card version will be superior in almost every detail than anything AMT/Ertl or Revell/Monogram might produce, ever. 2. You can enlarge or shrink a card model to match a particular scale of interest, alot of plastic kits are in some arbitrary and bogus scale. 3. You can build a card model in a couple of evenings. How many of you AMS (Advanced Modelers Syndrome) addicts have finished a single model in the last ten years? 4. If you can build it in card, you can build it in sheet styrene! But you're a chicken sh*t and won't even try, though you'll spend months fussing over photoetch."

Phew, I feel much better.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Calm down man, just take a pill. Hello Mods? Anyone there?

Wow! Just WOW!
  13. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

That discussion is taking a direction that me particularly I am not liking. I think it is not possible to compare a model of plastic with one of card or paper. They are midias different with private and own ferramental. But I don't find of good tone and education to come in a forum of paper modelers, to question the nature of the hobby and his value.
    A model of plastic badly built or one of paper badly built are exactly the same thing for the group of the compass and of the square, the one that imports is the as you can have fun making his model.

In Brazil it is comun a slang in Portuguese denominated "caixeiro" the best translation would be "boxmodeller" a subject that concerned with that such syndrome of advanced designer he doesn't make anything just critic the hobby of the other ones and it joins boxes and boxes of models without just doing anything of constructive to criticize and to live for an or two models that were built of exepcional way.

The one that the plastic modellers doesn't have is the possibility to create their own models and sharing with the other ones. If the people of the plastic twists the nose, bad luck the one of them I won't stop amusing to do me my models and sharing with the other ones for cause of that posture type and comment.

Until why I particularly am much happier making the paper models and card than it was spending 1/3 of my wage in kits detailing sets, photoects, for those details disappear simply closing a fuselage either for an idiot that never caught a x acto in the life or it has been 20 years that it finished her last kit to say that the model is 2 untidy mm.

Then this discussion for me is a great bull****, and it would not like that they used the thread that I created to demonstrate how I make my detailing (a thing that many Advance Modellers forgets: humility and sharing of knowledge) for that type of unnecessary thing... :curse::-x
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey Gomidefilho, I believe he was talking about what he would *like* to say to certain small-minded people who don't respect our method of constructing models, but in the interests of being civil he doesn't.

Personally, I am very much enjoying watching and waiting for the updates to this thread, and I hope you don't stop updating just because the thread is getting hijacked by a different and mostly unrelated topic. You're doing a great job and I'd like to see the end product. :)
  15. Coot59

Coot59 Member

I second that. Keep Up the Build and Keep us updated. Who cares what others think. The only real question is: "Are you enjoying what you are doing?" I know I do and I'm not anywhere near your skill level. That's why I like to watch.

So Please keep posting those pictures of your builds.

Thanks and Keep having fun!!!!!!!!!!!11

16. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Friends Gearz, Milleniumfalsehood and Coot 59.

Thank you for the defense words and of understanding.

He would like to say just more some things to contain that discussion (or at least to try)

Actually I am not a radical, I believe that the models of plastic and of paper they can coexist and that a hobby can contribute with the other. So much that being paper modeler, I am member of IPMS-POA (the section of IPMS of my city) and all of the plastic modeler respect my work and they support him. Many local scratchbuilders (mainly of armor and military vehicles) they use the pepakura as tool to get profiles of plastic for their conversions in a fast and precise way.

In any moment I thought about stopping showing the work developed in that project by cause of that discussion type.

Cheers! :thumb:
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Great! I was afraid you might stop posting about it! :thumb:

I find plastics and paper modeling to be like Star Wars and Star Trek, in that they are both debated as to which one is the best, but they both can be masterful. BTW, I am a member of Starship Modeler, and I don't see many paper models over there except for Atlantis' models, but they generally aren't criticized for being paper subjects. :)
  18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

It'd like any other 'mine is good, yours is bad' type of discussion. A good paper model is a good model. Same goes for a plastic one. I have seen some wonderful work done with plastic card, and would consider ( if I could get hold of it cheaply ) making some of my warhammer tanks from that. Don't know how you would go about forming tubes though....anyway..I digress.

Anyone with a tiny amount of artistic soul will recognise good quality work whatever the medium. A badly built model looks just as bad in plastic as it does in paper..and a good quality model looks good whatever it's made of. Paper presents real challenges in terms of structural strength, and the shapes you can make from it. It also requires careful planning to get good results. Where it scores over plastic is that if you decide to experiment ( as Gomidefilho has with this model ) you can always throw it away if it goes all wrong!

Personally, I think it is necessary to respect the effort that goes into a model, and the effort the modeller has taken to raise his creation above the ordinary. That is far more important that what the thing is made of!

Now....let's see some shots of the other containers and the ship itself!
  19. fr33lancer

fr33lancer New Member

Really like this build and look forward to seeing it continue. This ship is so unique, I'm looking forward to building this one..... someday ; )
  20. Coot59

Coot59 Member

Yes, more pictures please! Your work, along with the other great builders who post here, are pushing my builds. One of these days I'll get brave enough to post.

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks