Colonial Marines Cobra

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

I've posted some stuff on this project else where, so many of you have probably already seen this project, this is just a cut down & catch up version here at Zealot. As you'll see from the pics, the project made it to 75 % finished, unfortunately it all stalled thanks to a minor build issue, that dominoed into a necessary re-design of the parts. I'll get it finished as soon as time permits, In the mean time,here's just some pics as food for thought.

It may be considered sacrilege to start designing non-cannon craft to fit into the 'Alien' franchise, although it was fun to follow through on a 'what else' sort of question. Its a simple premise, the Colonial Marines must have had 'other' spacecraft, besides the way cool ones we see in the movies = SOooo....what would a Colonial Marines Fighter / Interceptor look like..?

I'd always like the look of the Cobra Gunship Helicopters, so using that as a guide, and a spot of 3d mesh bashing, this was my interpretation of what a Colonial Marines 'Cobra' spacecraft might look like. I'd originally envisaged a smaller craft with a two man crew similar to the Cobra helicopter, possibly as a companion model ( in scale) to Jan Rukr's Dropship model, however for various reasons its evolved into a larger craft, probably closer to a corvette type vessel with a four man crew.

I'm pretty far from being knowledgeable on Alien's hardware, although as far as i can tell, there was/is no reference to the Sulaco carrying assault type vessels ( other than the dropship.) I did find a few references to Bougainville class starships, although its hard to tell what's considered 'cannon?' and what isn't. Anyway, this cobra doesn't have a home to speak of, except in the form of a fictional frontline starship I'm calling the Suzunex - Sue' zoo ' nex. Well... it starts with an 'S' anyway.

* I had some excellent input from some other modelers, in regard to the possible/ probable weaponry it could/should carry, so the load out is still all in a state of flux.

Some pics of its evolution so far.

Attached Files:

2. Gearz

Gearz Member

more pics

Attached Files:

3. Gearz

Gearz Member

next bitz

Attached Files:

4. Gearz

Gearz Member

next set

Attached Files:

5. Gearz

Gearz Member

A test build..

Attached Files:

6. clif52

clif52 Banned

Hey Gears

Personally, I like it. For the rear firing area problem, why not a pivoting platform. Make a twin boom mount, one on each side, add the platform in the center between and let it pivot up and down (through at least 90 degrees, then add a rotating guns top and bottom. It could pivot through at least 90 degrees and rotate through 360 degrees top and bottom. Just my two cents worth. I'd send you a sketch buy I'm on vacation on my laptop.

7. hawkman67

hawkman67 Member

I really like it as well, Very unique and interesting design. Will go so well with the dropships.Can't wait to see it done.
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

That is a really neat design! I agree with hawkman, it is a great fit to the universe, and will sit nicely next to either the dropshop or the APC.
  9. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

I like it! I love when designers are able to draw upon a fictional universe and expand it with their models.
  10. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Fantastic mr G!
  11. seth crofton

seth crofton Member

very well done are you going to post the template for us to have a crack at it. it would be great for a diorama with the alien apc ...again well done.
  12. tata

tata New Member

13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks cousins, I'm glad you like the design.. Yep, I'll be posting the basic model as soon as a few building bugs are ironed out. Its a bog simple shape and build, so the plan is to dress it up with some optional weaponry and interesting colour schemes. I'd like it to be a craft that has life, an operational history, a good ( or bad) reputation with the flight and tech crews, etc etc etc. That's probably a tall order for me to take on, but i'll keep plugging away at it.

clif52 - Yep i can picture your idea. The way I'll have to redesign the parts may allow for an arrangement like that. Originally the tail boom only had attitude thrusters positioned at the tail end ( highly maneuverable etc) now that I'm adding weaponry I've painted myself into the proverbial corner. I'm limited to certain degree, as any gun / turret arrangement that has a reasonable field of fire, will swing up into the exhaust stream - probably not a good idea, although on the other hand, 'looks' before functionality will be the rule. Anyway all ideas are welcome, so thanks for the input mate. I'll hammer out a basic 3D setup like you've suggested and see what it looks like. :thumb:

hawkman67 - Doooh... its just dawned on me that with your background, you are the PERFECT man to help with a development aspect i've been wrestling with.. I get distracted easily, so I'll pester you with the details after your mini's are done.

Hey sidewinder - You know, you've made a very interesting observation. Sadly I'm a jack of all trades and master of none, although i am able translate a idea into a basic 3d mesh + model. I know there are many members here with remarkable artistic talent, that for one reason or another, haven't made the step into designing their own models. I think I can smell a large untapped sources of home grown subject material. HmmmMMmm

Perhaps we could encourage those artistic type members ( that don't design models) to start posting sketches of their SF ideas ? There are quite a few designers floating about, maybe one or a group could translate the sketches / ideas into models.. a group or community project, maybe even potential for a competition of some sort.?. It'd be a shame not to give them the opportunity to realize their ideas into models, and there's certainly some amazingly creative people out there. Oh yourself sidewinder, I love seeing 'expanded' subject matter, its like candy!!
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Ideas I have!! Drawing I can do (mostly)! Making the jump from 2 to 3D has been a struggle. The few models I've designed I laid out flat in Illustrator, and used the cut, cuss, and redo method. I'll be more than happy to dig through my notebooks and see what I can find. If anyone is interested or has suggestions, that'd help too. (BTW Gearz, just taking a break from the hammerhead to type this)
  15. Gearz

Gearz Member

lol no need for explanation K'jev. No one could possibly be slower than i am, so take your time mate.

Re the SF ideas.. Maybe crank up an open thread and post your sketches mate, perhaps an invitation for others to join in? it might lead to something interesting.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

It looks great!

One thing I want to know is how stable it is with only two landing gears.
  17. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Brilliant. I love the look. It fits the tech from that "universe" but has a nice original look to it.

Send me one to build, please!
  18. Gearz

Gearz Member

Stable..? Not the greatest, however I like to build em tough. The lower heat sinks/steering vanes are supported by a simple internal brace arrangement + tooth picks or similar. With the wing tips being only a few millimeters off the ground, the model tends right itself if knocked.

Roger that Duncan. :thumb:
  19. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

LOL, Gearz! I've never seen a 120mm Gatling! And you guys thought the recoil from the A-10's 30mm GAU-8 Avenger was bad...

"Nuke the site from orbit" - Hicks
  20. grifco2000

grifco2000 Member

Gearz, your designs continue to amaze me and make me drool!!!:eek:

Now that thye've fixed my shoulder, the Big G is getting a workout (landing/launch bay and a few extras from a defunct pic/toy concept) This one would be great, make a cool addition to my son's small action men (gijoe) stuff!!!

:wave: Grifco