collection bites the dust

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by NULLMOON, Apr 17, 2007.

NULLMOON Member

started clearing out the rubbish models and ended up doing the lot most were pretty poor jobs anyhow
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

OUCH! I bet that hurt.
  3. 57townsman

57townsman Member

WOW :shock:

Spacejunk alert, call Salvage I.

4. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Wow, that represents a lot of work! I have a hard time throwing them out, even when they're only half-finished and not turning out too good. :cry:
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'd be proud to display some of those, and he calls them garbage... :cry:

6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Looks better than some of my work. :???:

NULLMOON Member

as my skill level improves old stuff starts to look bad next to new stuff old goes plus most of the models have been re-desiged eg leos new proton not to sure about my r7s they could be better this sputnik has visable edges
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

At least shoot at them, or set them on fire and throw them, or something!
  9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Nullmoon, one of the advantages of being a COF is having a wealth of anecdotes to draw upon. I think it is a mistake to throw away all of one's early work. Besides being an aid to keeping oneself humble, they can be a means of boosting morale of beginners in the hobby. Many, far too many years ago, after the judging was over in the first competition I entered (dare I say it? PLASTIC), I was one discouraged lad, particularly as luck would have it, my entry was sitting right next to the best in show entry. My feelings must have been pretty apparent, as the winner invited me over to his house for a building session. When I surprised hell out of myself by actually showing up, he pulled a box down from the top of his display case and had be open it up. In it was a botched up model that mine looked good against. He then explained that it was his first competition model, then chewed me out for thinking the old-timers in the club must have had their skills from the get-go. I never got to his skill level, but I did get to where I did place once in a while....and kept at the hobby desipite some pretty heavy discouragement.
  10. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Fireworks and Excellarant.
  11. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Yes indeed, a botched/old/derelict paper model makes a good airgun target! At least get some enjoyment out of disposing of it.8)
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I bet there are a lot of kids that would go nuts wanting to play with them. I have given many a paper model to children of friends I know. I never got a "no, thanks".
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

What The.....!!!!

Man I would have at least modified for flight!!!! You are a way bigger man than Me!!! Even My worst are at least hidden as keep sakes!

Can't wait to see what You call Your best!

14. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Oh dear. I would cry.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

"One more for the scrapeyard"

I think everyong dump their old models at some point, the question is whether you do it one by one or in batches.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I do war with old beat-up old models. It's always fun to pit ships against one another and blow them up with firecrackers. :twisted:

NULLMOON Member

i used to do that as a child when i built plastic models i would play with them untill they began to fall apart then i broke them up in the garden a pretented that they had crashed in the jungle(lawn) ah childhood
  18. damraska

damraska Member

My immediate thoughts, upon viewing your spaceship graveyard, was something flippant like, "Fire, Fire".

Upon further reflection, I think you are making a mistake to simply toss out all this work. As Darwin's anecdote suggests, those models represent a historical record you cannot recreate once destroyed. If you are inclined to share your skills, the models also represent an invaluable set of teaching aids. You could gift them to kids--they will probably end up destroyed, but perhaps spark an interest in models or rockets along the way. Perhaps a teacher would want them. I guarantee you are more critical of your work than 99.9% of the rest of the people on this planet.

NULLMOON Member

most of the kids i know would fill them with weed and smoke them:eek: its no big loss to me anyway my rockets were were i put the least effort
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There is no problem on this planet that can't be solved by the judicious use of explosives!