Cold day for photography

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lizzienewell, Jan 20, 2006.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

My new camera came yippee!

But the weathers was 8 F and snowing. I decided to do a photoshoot anyway and drove to my favorite spot--right at the sign that says avalanche warning do not stop.

Got the camera on the tripod without freezing fingers. They got the model out and tried to set it on a rock but the wing kept blowing off my wire stand.
    "Should have brought rubber bands." Found a piece of dental floss to tie the model down, and fingers got really cold.

The models was still moving in the wind. "How about some action shots?"
    The shots came out under exposed. I need to figure out the camera settings better.

Anyway here is the results.

I sized this down for the net. The new high resolution camera won't make a difference on this.

Next time I need a better stand, rubber bands, a thermos of coffee and a day without wind or snow.

Oh I learned that panorama stitch shoots don't work well when photographing moving ice.

Attached Files:

2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Hey Lizzie

What's the new camera specs? And that sign is still there? hehe
  3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It's a Canon EOS Rebel XT that does 8 megapixels.
    I'm still figuring it out.
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

That's a great camera, Lizzie. I have the original 6mp Rebel, and enjoy it. After about 18,000 images, its still going strong. I do wish I had better lenses though 8v) If you have any questions regarding the camera, I should be able to help so PM me. I have helped out two people here with their XTs so I do know the camera.
  5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Wow, Lizzie, you got a great camera. I wish I had so much money to afford suchlike camera 8) .My camera is just a cheap bunch of crap. :twisted: But it is enough to make photos for showing progress of your model.

And I see a very nice scenery in your area. I wish we had such nice landscape..

Btw, we're having very low temperature here also: -32 C (-26F))
    The lowest temperature we had here was -43C (-46F).
    Trolley and electric lines are lightening. All area around your nose and mouth gets frosty.. Brrr... Offcourse no match to Russia (guys in Syberia have -50C . Currently in Moscow, there's -40C).

And... you really don't want to know how ground in Lithuania looks like. I think I could travel in ice-skates. The ice is somehow dark (from dirt, car tyres, oil, etc.) but is extremely smooth and slippery. Our medics can't keep up with a number of people that crippled or hurt something while falling on the ice.

Thats all. Good luck! :)
  6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm worrying about how I can afford the camera. It took a bite out of my emergency savings. I'm trying to produce art quality prints to sell in art shows shows so I figure the camera is an investment--one that will take a long time to earn out.

If we get a warming spell or rain we get ice over everything like you have. Some people use cleats on their shoes.

No one beats Siberia for cold weather.

The weather may be better for photography today. It looks like it might get cold and clear. The temperature dropped a tad to 6F. I think I'll go later in the day and try a different place that is closer to the water. I like a bit of floating ice but I also like to be able to see the surface of the water so that the viewer can figure out that it is water.

I like drawing better than doing photography. I noticed in the pictures of you desk that you do nice work with drawing. I consider both photography and modelmaking to be a type of drawing. The sense of design is what is important the paper, computers, cameras, and printers are just tools. I'll put up my icesculpture just to show the work that I do with minimal tools.